Why do Gen1's have higher Torque #'s per HP vs. Gen 2's

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Why do Gen1\'s have higher Torque #\'s per HP vs. Gen 2\'s

Becasue space is a vacuum?

Because Torque is more a function of rotational mass
(ie twisting power) and not purely of HP. The V-10 truck has nearly as much torque, and only 300HP. Even if the 96.5-'99 makes more HP, it is still the same mass, rotating at the same RPM. The extra HP just makes the RPMs come faster!

The Cummins Ram has way-less HP, but (from memory) even higher torque than a Viper. And Cummins' torque is even at way-lower RPMS......

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BAKNBLK95RT:
On all the dyno results I see. It seems that the Gen 2's have higher horse power but the torque is not as high vs. the gen 1's why is that?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Camshaft pofile. Duration, overlap, centerline, etc. I like the cam in the Gen1's. Man those cars make some great low end torque
You must be registered for see images

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Torque, as JonB indicated, is the twisting capability or work available from the engine. Horsepower is a calculation using the torque and engine speed which indicates the rate at which work or torque is applied. 1 hp = 550 ft-lb/sec. A dynomometer physically measures the torque and the speed and computes the horsepower (except for inertial dynos that measure the speed of a known inertia to compute the instantaneous torque. This is different as rotational mass does enter the equation. But mind you it is not measuring actual torque but is instead calculating the instantaneous torque by measuring the change in speed and differentiating to obtain the acceleration).

There is no component of mass involved in either torque measurement or horspower calculation. Torque is generally proportional to displacement. That is why the V10 truck has a similar maximum torque. It occurs at a much lower engine speed because the air flow is maximized at low speeds (through cam timing, porting, bore-stroke ratio and manifolds). Essentially, the maximum torque occurs at the engine speed with maximum volumetric efficiency. The truck motor has poor volumetric efficiency at higher engine speeds causing the torque to drop off much faster than the Viper. That results in a significant drop in the maximum horsepower.

Ron

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So.........A 1st gen engine will make more torque than
a gen 2 engine because of cam profile, and running gen 2
1.6 rocker arms on a gen 1 engine adds approx 30 HP (if I followed the discussion the way I think I did). Does that
mean that a gen 1 engine running gen 2 rocker arms is the best of both worlds?

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan,
Being a tuner, can you divulge the secrets of gen I vs gen II cams? Also, I heard that gen I engines have 1.5:1 rockers and I've also heard that they have 1.6:1 rockers. Can you shed some light on this and also on the flow number difference (or even intake/exhaust port volume difference) between gen I and II engines?
thanks,
Not many people know these specifics.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan,
Being a tuner, can you divulge the secrets (timing) of gen I vs gen II cams? Also, I heard that gen I engines have 1.5:1 rockers and I've also heard that they have 1.6:1 rockers. Can you shed some light on this and also on the flow number difference (or even intake/exhaust port volume difference) between gen I and II engines?
thanks,
Not many people know these specifics.