Why does my car **** so bad at low speeds?

ViperperfectionGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 GTS jerks uncontrollably at low speeds in 1st gear. It has nothing to do with my driving techniques. This is my 4th Viper...I remember that my '93 acted the same way. It is definately the car. Has anyone else experienced this? Does your car do it? Is there a fix? I can release the clutch as smoothly & slowly as possible & it still does it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that fault can and will get u alot of differant answers in this question, cause can be many things.

Reaction score
New motor mounts and trans mounts would help a ton. Call if you want to try them. The other cause could be excessive backlash in the gears.

OP
OP
V

ViperperfectionGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone said something about having to "align" the throttle cables on both sides of the block. I may be stupid, but I only see one.

OP
OP
V

ViperperfectionGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I just wanted to make sure.
He said that the pedals pull two different throttle cables & if they are not "aligned" the car will ****, etc.

I have been looking for a second cable...Just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing it.

Thanks

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im shur he is a nice guy,but tell to lay off the sauce when talkn cars! lol:)

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem on the 94 for years but it was fixed (mostly) when I took the car in for a full tune up. he said he adjusted the throttle "bolt"? But I had most of the engine and fuel system and trany and just about everything cleaned out so its hard to say what fixed it. But I can say it feels like a new car now.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on if it's a Gen I or II. Your car is a GTS Gen II which only has one cable.

Does it only **** when it's cold? If so, then its just because your clutch is cold then it goes away after a while.

SCOTTB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ya know i drive an 03 and mine does the same thing but not all the time i thought it was me but its not

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI the gen 1 has DUAL THOTTLE Bodies

that means 2 cables (one on each side).

Think about it this way, both gen1 and gen2 have two throttle bodies, but, the gen2 only has one throttle cable. On the gen2 if the drivers side throttle body doesn't open first it will cause that jerky acceleration issue.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think about it this way, both gen1 and gen2 have two throttle bodies, but, the gen2 only has one throttle cable. On the gen2 if the drivers side throttle body doesn't open first it will cause that jerky acceleration issue.

if clyde opens,doesnt bonnie open with at the same time,or do they work like street bike carbs? lol just havn fun!:lmao:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lotsa things can cause it. New plugs and wires can settle it down some. No matter what though, there will always be some lunging at low speeds. I usually slip it into neutral at slow speeds.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 GTS jerks uncontrollably at low speeds in 1st gear. It has nothing to do with my driving techniques. This is my 4th Viper...I remember that my '93 acted the same way. It is definately the car. Has anyone else experienced this? Does your car do it? Is there a fix? I can release the clutch as smoothly & slowly as possible & it still does it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much

If this is really your Fourth Viper, you NEED to join the VCA and upgrade your status here!

"Lotsa things can cause it. New plugs and wires can settle it down some. No matter what though, there will always be some lunging at low speeds. I usually slip it into neutral at slow speeds."

Also could be: O2's, TPS, fuel pressure, re-setting the PCM? :dunno:

"New motor mounts and trans mounts would help a ton. Call if you want to try them. The other cause could be excessive backlash in the gears."

Highly unlikely! "My 2-cents"

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Almost any manual transmission equipped car will do that when idling/very low speeds due to gear/u-joint/overall drivetrain slop. Once it gets into a rythym you need to depress the clutch pedal or apply more throttle to break that rythym.

Rob

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does my car **** so bad at low speeds?

Your car's ability to communicate its feelings to you are limited. As a long time automobile whisperer I can assure you that your car is merely expressing its resentment, frustration and hostility at being driven too slowly while in gear. You need to make up for this abusive behavior by tracking the car.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost any manual transmission equipped car will do that when idling/very low speeds due to gear/u-joint/overall drivetrain slop. Once it gets into a rythym you need to depress the clutch pedal or apply more throttle to break that rythym.

Rob

You're right in some respect regarding bushing compliance, yet the significant factor are the springs on the clutch disc in a manual transmission car. The crankshaft and the transmission input shaft can twist axially in relation to one another due to these springs (to absorb engine pulses as mentioned in another post), promoting a bucking effect at low rpm especially if you give a little gas then let off then get back into it, the springs will create a bouncing effect having an engine that can create low end torque including diesels. You can get a tougher aftermarket clutch disc or a disc / clutch assembly without springs, yet there will be more neutral gear rattle.
Best regards,
Mike

PS - That's my Canuck 2 cents or US 1.65 cents at the current exchange rate which is worth less then Chucks.

Last edited:

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
95% of the time, the **** can be found just aft of the steering wheel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21