Why does the Enzo Ferrari beat the Viper tuners in 0-60 and quarter mile

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Enzo Ferrari blows away all the Viper engine tuners and builders in both 0-60 and quarter mile even with a bit less horsepower than lets say the Henneseys, the Apex's and the many others. It does 0-60 in 3.5 sec. and the quarter mile in 11.1 seconds with the stock tires even though the Viper tuners might have more power and way more torque. Hennessy has done 2.9 0-60 but that was with slicks so you cant compare. Why were the cars in the car and driver ultimate challenge so slow when comparing it to the Enzo Ferrari. Anyone know what is the major reason

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not always about horsepower ;) suspension, traction, and say the fact that the Enzo can do 60mph in 1st gear alone gives it an advantage :cool: I personally hope that the Enzo can kick butt of all super tuner cars, it is after all a F1 based car :eek:

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, Ferrari bassed the Enzo off F1 tech, so that has somthing to do with it. what does the enzo weigh? i bet its a bit less then the viper (2767 per ferrari) with a curb weight of 3000 lbs. its ALOT more areodynamic then any viper could wish to be (not as if that hast much to do with the 1/4 mile and such). carbon and carbonfiber does itself wonders. for the 700G's you get a the best "production" car in the world.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ruckdr - no kidding! :)

It's all in the power to weight...as Collin Chapman used to say :

"For speed, add lightness."

The Enzo weighed in the last R&T came in at 27xx I believe...wet, too as I recall.

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[******]'s 800TT has done 60 in 3.2 and the quarter mile in 10.71 @ 137.6 mph.
Lingenfelter's 542ci Viper did 60 in 3.3 and the quarter mile in 11.0 @ 134 mph.
Both were done on stock Michelin Pilots.

Even though the Enzo's power to weight ratio is lower than both Vipers (per C&D's curb weight of 3,262 lbs for the Enzo), it has the benefit of traction control and the slick semi-automatic gearbox. Just floor it and shift with the paddles at your fingertips, no drama. The electronics take care of the rest.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe it also has a "launch mode" like the new M3's.

Also, a Stage I (stock heads, cam, bottom end, etc) DLM car ran 10.7 or 10.8 at 135+ on stock 18" rubber with Evan Smith from MM&FF's driving.

Chad

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HP is a small contributing factor of speed. Although it is the most easily changeable and can drasticly overcome those other more influential contrubuting factors like drag. I would rather shed 1000 LBS and have 2wice the traction then have an extra 200 HP.

The enzo rules. It is what ferrari needed to redeem themself.

Although its price is sick.

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
0-100 in 6.6 seconds!! I don't care how much it costs. It has bumped the Mclaren F1 right off it's throne in my book. An absolutely spectacular car. I would have one in a heartbeat. I'd have to live in it, doesn't seem like it would be very comfortable to sleep in every night.

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw an ENZO ON THE STREET on saturday afternoon. All you other Chi-towners will know the area and why. I was turning east on to Lake-Cook Rd off of Quentin Rd. 3 ferraris went by coming out of Barrington, red 360 Modena, yellow F355 Berlinieta, and a red what I thought was an F50 at first. When I got to the next light with them and saw the nose, there was no doubt it was a ENZO. Looked awesome. The look alone is worth the price and yes they do have a launch mode. Found out this weekend too that the F1 trans can do all sort of crazy stuff.

Tom

snoop_todd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
0-100 in 6.6 seconds!! I don't care how much it costs. It has bumped the Mclaren F1 right off it's throne in my book. An absolutely spectacular car. I would have one in a heartbeat. I'd have to live in it, doesn't seem like it would be very comfortable to sleep in every night.

Maybe so but the McLaren is a much older design. I still think the McLaren F1 is the ultimate road going vehicle. To be able to do 11's in the 1/4 and still have a top speed of 240mph that is something special.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To go along with the above post, I think the McLaren looks better than the Enzo, and the F1 ties with the F50 convertible.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the write ups was about a guy who lives in my area, Dick Losse. I should be getting a ride in his car hopefully this week. One of my best friends is very good friends with him so he is going to hook me up. Maybe he will race but I don't think so. It should be an unforgettable experience. Those cars are the ticket if you have $700,000. They really are beautiful cars. I am curious how it compares to my SC'ed viper. I will keep everyone posted.

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A friend of mine has pretty good connections and is unable to obtain an Enzo. This guy has a Lambo Murcielago as his daily driver, and owned one of each of the supercars in the past few years - Porsche 996 Turbo, Ferrari Modena, Maserati. No McLaren, BTW. But try as he may, he has been totally unable to get an Enzo. So, apparently, even if you are willing to spend the bucks, you can't have one anyway!

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the money/hp/speed argument sounds like us picking on the vette guys. vette guy: "well it should beat us..." :rolleyes:

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ferrari does it's own "certificate" program. You can't get the Enzo unless you've been a die-hard Ferrari collector for MANY years. You must be well known within the circle, grasshopper. If Madonna or Puff Daddy suddenly decided they wanted one.....sorry. It's rewarding thier previously loyal customers. Just like DC did with the SRT.

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i wouldnt say they couldnt get them. every material item has its price. you can buy one for 1 million+....

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bottom line, anyone can get one, if youre willing to pay then theres a way. as for the look; i dont like em i never liked em. im in the minority but i just dont like ferraris, now the performance, i cant argue with tat aspect; top notch but id sure rather have that level of performance in a car i like to look at. ahh well, to each his own

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bottom line, anyone can get one, if youre willing to pay then theres a way. as for the look; i dont like em i never liked em. im in the minority but i just dont like ferraris, now the performance, i cant argue with tat aspect; top notch but id sure rather have that level of performance in a car i like to look at. ahh well, to each his own

exactly!!!!!!!!

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For 700K why would you not expect a better car than a Viper? Weight has a lot to do with Enzo's success.

MOUNTAINWOLF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the Saleen S7 is a much cooler and meaner looking car. The Enzo's probasis-looking nose is the only thing I don't like about that car. The S7 is very close in performance and simply bad in every way; I'd choose the Saleen.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a lot of nice cars out there. Vipers are at the top along with Ferrari. Quite an accomplishment for a car that has only been around for 11 years. Ferrari has been around for 50 and all they do is race. It's great to hear a discussion where Ferraris and Vipers are considered in the same class. The Enzo is an awesome car. So is the Comp Coupe.

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that would be Sergei Federov. He also has at least one other Ferrari, a 456GT. I think one of the first high profile people to have gotten their Enzo was Eric Clapton. Picked his up from the factory and drove it home.

About the McLaren F1, the 240 mph speed attributed to it was done on the well-worn (and well broken-in) prototype, XP5. McLaren engineers bumped up the speed limiter in increments for that session as well. A stock production one should be good for 220-230 otherwise. Even with that in mind, it's interesting to note the Enzo is on a par with that particular McLaren F1 (XP5), tested on another date by Autocar:

0-60: 3.2
0-100: 6.3
Quarter mile: 11.1 @ 138 mph

R&T's test of the Enzo:
0-60: 3.3
0-100: 6.6
1/4 mile: 11.1 @ 136 mph

The previous quickest stock 200-mph supercars in this league, the Pagani Zonda C12S and Saleen S7, are quite a ways back, with 1/4 miles of 11.8 @ 129 and 11.6 @ 126, respectively.
That it has taken this long to finally catch the McLaren F1 speaks volumes about the kind of effort that went into making it. And for the challenger to be coming from none other than Ferrari...these are truly performance benchmark vehicles of our times. [But the McLaren still offers a unique central driving position, and seating for an additional passenger.]

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an R&T article comparing the Mc F1 to the Porsche 959 and F40, I'll get into the mag and hopefully post their results tonight so you can compare ONE mags test results on the "customer" cars (the F1 and Enzo tests for R&T were submitted by owned cars).

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A TT800 Viper ran 2.4 sec 0-60mph on sticky tires. The Enzo would be unlikely to match that due to lack of enough torque, even on slicks. It would require gearing down and drag setup to match that.

The F1 MacLaren was a much bigger quantum leap in its day than the Enzo is today... they are close to 150mph with a slight edge to the F1 despite over a decade on... but close enough to bring any difference down to driver perhaps... however, from 150mph on up - the F1 will spank the Enzo - they had acceleration from 150mph to match the then current F1 race cars! That has not been matched yet except by top tuners cars - and then not many!

Around a road race track - the Enzo will of course beat an F1 - better brakes and chassis dynamics a decade on.

If MacLaren ever build another road supercar - it will worry an Enzo owner!

As for the post title: give DLM, Heffner, John or Apex $700,000 and they will be happy to make you a Viper that will beat an Enzo. Imagine building a chrome moly space frame inside a gutted Viper carbon fibre/kevlar outer shell. If you have $700k to spend you could build something special and as light. There's plenty with the skills to do it. What it would not be is as well sorted - so then you need millions for R & D. That's one reason why some would still buy the Enzo for that money.

On the criteria you set - it would cost under $50k to modify your Viper to beat an Enzo and there are already several cars on this forum that will beat an Enzo 0-60 and on 1/4 mile.

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an R&T article comparing the Mc F1 to the Porsche 959 and F40, I'll get into the mag and hopefully post their results tonight so you can compare ONE mags test results on the "customer" cars (the F1 and Enzo tests for R&T were submitted by owned cars).

Ah, must be this article: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=392&page_number=1

The one with the infamous "VIPRETR" license plate on the F40.

The stats were actually taken from a previous R&T test, done with the silver F1 with Texas plates. In a later test, that car topped out at 217.7 mph.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You see the maintenance costs in the CD article?
$60 a quart for oil. Well....... I guess it's relative.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog