Why does the Enzo Ferrari beat the Viper tuners in 0-60 and quarter mile

ChoiceViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is that the same article that posted $6000 for Enzo brake pads in the ups/downs/pros/cons snippet? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The F1 MacLaren was a much bigger quantum leap in its day than the Enzo is today... they are close to 150mph with a slight edge to the F1 despite over a decade on... but close enough to bring any difference down to driver perhaps... however, from 150mph on up - the F1 will spank the Enzo - they had acceleration from 150mph to match the then current F1 race cars! That has not been matched yet except by top tuners cars - and then not many!

Around a road race track - the Enzo will of course beat an F1 - better brakes and chassis dynamics a decade on.

If MacLaren ever build another road supercar - it will worry an Enzo owner!

As for the post title: give DLM, Heffner, John or Apex $700,000 and they will be happy to make you a Viper that will beat an Enzo. Imagine building a chrome moly space frame inside a gutted Viper carbon fibre/kevlar outer shell. If you have $700k to spend you could build something special and as light. There's plenty with the skills to do it. What it would not be is as well sorted - so then you need millions for R & D. That's one reason why some would still buy the Enzo for that money.

On the criteria you set - it would cost under $50k to modify your Viper to beat an Enzo and there are already several cars on this forum that will beat an Enzo 0-60 and on 1/4 mile.

Torquemonster, I agree with you about the F-1 being much more a quantum leap in it's day than the Enzo today. I love Ferraris and their heritage speaks volumes about what Enzo Ferrari accomplished in changing the face of the earth forever for the sport of automobile racing, engineering, innovation and politicing. He was the man for sure. But with all that being said, I am very surprised that the Enzo weighs almost as much as the Viper with a carbon fiber monocoque chassis. This I cannot fathom. Even the Ford GT is going to weigh 3200# as well.

==> The magazine test I am dying to see would be a Mclaren F-1 vs Ferrari Enzo doing all the usual acceleration and braking tests along with a hot shoe driver putting them through their paces at the road course! I would pay admission to that one!

The last thing I have to say on the matter of the Enzo vs Vipers in general or, more specifically the Enzo vs my Heffner Supercharged Viper on the street is this:
217enzo_who-med.jpg

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo - my brother has a test between an F1 MAclaren and an Enzo - I think it is a UK mag - I'll try to get more details if you like! I asked him how the decade old F1 did - the answer was startling!

The old F1 on modern tires was not embarrassed around the track - it did not stop as quickly - other than that it was right there, and quicker on the straights! Amazing!

0- 100mph in 6.3 is pretty good ;)

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo - my brother has a test between an F1 MAclaren and an Enzo - I think it is a UK mag - I'll try to get more details if you like! I asked him how the decade old F1 did - the answer was startling!

The old F1 on modern tires was not embarrassed around the track - it did not stop as quickly - other than that it was right there, and quicker on the straights! Amazing!

0- 100mph in 6.3 is pretty good ;)

Torquemonster, This is what I expected to happen. Power to weight is where it's at without a doubt. 2780# vs 32XX# would make the Mclaren quicker for sure. I knew the Enzo would stop way better, I was just not sure how much the aerodynamics of the Enzo would come into play. Was it a higher speed track or a relatively slower one?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[******]'s 800TT has done 60 in 3.2 and the quarter mile in 10.71 @ 137.6 mph.
Lingenfelter's 542ci Viper did 60 in 3.3 and the quarter mile in 11.0 @ 134 mph.
Both were done on stock Michelin Pilots.

Even though the Enzo's power to weight ratio is lower than both Vipers (per C&D's curb weight of 3,262 lbs for the Enzo), it has the benefit of traction control and the slick semi-automatic gearbox. Just floor it and shift with the paddles at your fingertips, no drama. The electronics take care of the rest.

BTW, Lingenfelter's isn't doing Vipers for awhile. I clicked on their banner ad at the top of the VCA page the other day, couldn't find any engine packages, so I wrote and asked why...

"We have discontinued our Viper packages until we have a better way to do calibrations in house on the PCM's.  This could come later this year.  I have not updated the people at the VCA web site.
Tim Dyer
Sales Manager
Lingenfelter Performance Engineering, Inc.
260 724 2552 x 1001
http://www.lingenfelter.com
ICQ# 223991829"