Why, oh Why, did I decide to wait for an '03?!

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why, oh Why, did I decide to wait for an \'03?!

After owning three Vipers, I was ready to "upgrade" my Y2k Roadster for an '01. Winter was over and I was ready to rock; but then I started seeing pictures of the new '03 coming out next Fall and I was hooked.

So I called my Viper-resource, Bill Pemberton, and he said I could get on the list if I wanted; and I would be on early enough to get one soon after they started showing up. Being the impulse guy I am, I immediately sent in a deposit.

So now I sit back and wait..... and wait..... and wait.....

Why didnt I get an '01? Well, I didnt because I figured when I went to get an '03 that the market would be soft for an '01 and I wouldnt get a decent price for it. But had I known this in sooner, I might have just held on to the '00 for a while longer!

I blame DC for my ills. Had they not started promoting the '03 so early, I would have happily plunked down my money on a new '01 and I'd be a happy man now. I wonder why they didnt wait until later to make such an annoucement - arent they conerned they would hurt '02 sales?

But now I am miserable - and Summer is almost over...

So, I'm curious - How many others are putting off any Viper purchases until the '03 comes out? And is there a support group available for us?

OP
OP
P

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Why, oh Why, did I decide to wait for an \'03?!

Well, maybe collectors would go for the '02; but wouldnt most people just hold off for the '03? Arent they releasing it in the Fall of '02 (which isnt something they normally do)?

So, I figured the market for '01s would be real soft because you arent the last and you arent the new.

Kinda like how my $5,000 Nikon D1 is now selling for sub $3k because the new Nikon D1x is now out. Everyone will want the new car; so demand will be high for that and earliers will be soft.

But, I could be wrong, there could be a strong support for the '0Xs.

But that all doesnt mean SQUAT while I still am Viperless...

the horror...

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think you have a point there on the 02'.It is probably gonna be the rareist RT/10 in 13 years.How cool is that to have the last year for the original RT/10.

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think all the advance announcement stuff that DC has been using on most of their vehicle's is a ****** marketing ploy that only works to frustrate buyer's. I believe it's their attempt to queue up buyers ahead of their competition.

Although a little different situation, I am wait listed on an '01 M3 Coupe. The dealer told me they would be lucky to get 2 cars per month if lucky. I've decided not to 'wait' for one.

Another point to consider is, who wants the first of redesigned model? I'd opt to wait a bit until the kinks are worked out of the redesigned car.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm an GTS/ACR guy all the way so 02 or 03 is virtually meaningless to me. Where is that support group meeting at?

OP
OP
P

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Except that you can be one of the first to have something else that few people have! Kinda like when the Vipers first came out.

I wish DC had waited in annoucing the changes. Why annouce it 2 years before you are going to release it? I think they should have waiting until around this time - that way you dont effect '01 sales and probably drive up '02 sales as people rush to get the collectors versions.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've had a deposit down with Bill for eight months now, but I still hove my 00" RT till then.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Everyone, pay close attention to this site the weekend of the Monterey car show. I think it happens in less than two weeks.

Mike, Give me a call at the office today, 800-448-6248 ex 172.