Why upgrade the stock brakes?

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking of upgrading the brakes and rotors, but I don't know why? Why would you want to upgrade the brakes on a mostly street driven car? Would it actually stop faster/shorter? If I were to do this upgrade I would also want it to be suitable for the occasional track day (road course) and be able to drive on the street 1,000 miles per months without tinkering/adjusting the brakes all the time.

I'm going to need some new rear tires soon (thanks to BTR nitrous
smile.gif
), front's still have plenty of tread. So now would be a good time to upgrade to 18" rims and new brakes/rotors. Am I right you need bigger rims for the better brakes? I'm thinking of stop-tech (sp?) brakes rotors, anyone have recomendations/comments on brake systems? Thanks.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going down this same road myself, but have chosen a slightly different option.

I want improved braking from my 98 GTS. I'm not a regular track guy, 3 or 4 trips per year... I think an ABS solution would provide the best overall braking solution for me - an admitted novice. At a bare minimum, shouldn't be any more flatspotted tires! And a bit of extra security on the street as well in those less than perfect weather conditions here in Colorado...

Already have Porsche air deflectors, SS brake lines and even added ducts for extra cooling.

I've found a vendor, we're just working out a last few installation details. All systems should be a go next weekend.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
"Why would you want to upgrade the brakes on a mostly street driven car?"

Because that 25 or 30 feet shorter you stop may save your car and your life.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The high dollar setups work great but there is little need for them for street and "occasional" road racing. Talk to Sean Roe for some affordable upgrades. Steel braided lines, removing the spring, decent pads. Include cooling ducts and Castrol brake fluid at track time.

Now, when you become a road racing addict...

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im working with wilwood, we have the front 6 piston, rotor with hat appx. 12 lbs lighter with ss lines.The backs are coming with a nice trick 4 piston with hat and rotors all for about 4k way cheaper than anyone else.I will make apost when completed.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are considering an upgrade, check the archives. There is a ton of great info. and vendor experiences. I recommend Stop Tech, just my $0.02

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I upgraded my brakes to address mostly heat issues under hard braking. I went with the Stoptech slotted rotors and stainless steel lines all around, Motul brake fluid, and the Porsche cooling ducts. For around $100 this gets me some added insurance against brake fade on the track an on extended mountain drives when it's very hot. For a street-driven car that is used primarily, for instance, for cruises and car shows I wouldn't bother.

A

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ntmatter:
I upgraded my brakes to address mostly heat issues under hard braking. I went with the Stoptech slotted rotors and stainless steel lines all around, Motul brake fluid, and the Porsche cooling ducts. For around $100 this gets me some added insurance against brake fade on the track an on extended mountain drives when it's very hot. For a street-driven car that is used primarily, for instance, for cruises and car shows I wouldn't bother.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andy,

You got new rotors, stainless steel lines, new fluid, and cooling ducts all for $100?

MES,

I would upgrade your pads at least. I found a much better feel with EBC pads. I have reds on the rears and greens on the front. This would be an improvement for even a 100% street car.

I also did stainless steel lines, Motul 600, and cooling ducts, but all of these are really only for high temp track conditions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude