Why would anyone buy an SRT?

james97gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been wondering why anyone would buy an SRT over a GTS or RT/10. I decided that people that buy an SRT over a GTS fall into 1 or more of the categories

A. He or she likes the looks.
(What are you blind, they look hideous)

B. Likes the extra power.
(Big deal a couple of mods on a GenII=same power)

C. Are one of those people that always has to have the
newest cars or toys.
(Even if it looks like a Honda/stratus

D. Likes cars that are designed by a Japanese guy who worked
for Toyota.
(That should tell you enough)

E. I don't know why I purchased an SRT
(I think I might of wasted $80,000)

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey let me fix your problem.

I have a really cool
cool.gif
94 and I'll trade ya pink slips even.

rofl.gif

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked into buying an SRT and decided not to for the same reasons you mentioned. The car isn't very striking and looks like it can be lumped in with a Honda S2000 or a Corvette; hardly "exotic" vehicles. I was prepared to pay 100K but decided it would be most foolish; especially for a car I wasn't truly "exhiliarated" with.

I also thought that the vehicle looked like a wider Dodge Intrepid.

Please note: This is my opinion and my opinion only. It is not meant to insult others who bought the SRT - it still is a fine looking car and surely more refined than GenI's and II's. I also don't like coffee either so please don't bust me for that too.

Either way, I am looking forward to seeing them on the road here in AZ.

Cheers
M

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife chose it over her '01 GTS because:
(a) it's a better car from the driver's seat;
(b) it has a real convertible roof;
(c) it's much more refined;
(d) it's "cute" (her words, not mine)

Really, the only reasons NOT to get an SRT are (a) looks and (b) lack of hardtop. Those are of course very compelling reasons for many people who own Vipers, but not for all of them...

GTSTF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I completely agree that the new SRT looks EXACTLY like a Honda S2000. personally, i think it has nowhere near the character or agressive looks of my GTS. now, the new GTS/R concept that the SRT was based on....that's a completely different story. when can i buy one of those?

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only reason I can think of is price. I got my 99 GTS new for under $65,000 and I'm not sure I'd pay a huge premium for the SRT, although I think they look great. Also, the brakes have to be much better, and I'm wondering if the grip and handling is better still. It does weigh less then the gen II so it should be faster still.

I honestly don't understand all the bad mouthing of the SRT-10. I think there's an element of not wanting to admit that your pride and joy isn't the latest and greatest anymore.

Get over it.

Jim

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
refined? they'd better be......since they're holding them till probably march. one thing not mentioned in this post about potential buyers is....some of them may be just a teeny weeny bit prone to hype.

Reaction score
I've been wondering why anyone would buy an SRT over a GTS or RT/10. I decided that people that buy an SRT over a GTS fall into 1 or more of the categories

A. He or she likes the looks.
(What are you blind, they look hideous)

Response: I like the styling better than any other "Rag Top" Super Car.

B. Likes the extra power.
(Big deal a couple of mods on a GenII=same power)
Response: SRT-10-10 a couple of mods = GenII+50-75hp

C. Are one of those people that always has to have the
newest cars or toys.
(Even if it looks like a Honda/stratus

Response: To me it looks more like an Austin Martin.

D. Likes cars that are designed by a Japanese guy who worked
for Toyota.
(That should tell you enough)

Response: To bad people have to attach one's heritage!

E. I don't know why I purchased an SRT
(I think I might of wasted $80,000)

Response: I know why I did:

E.1.0 Performance,
E.1.1 Braking, the SRT has better braking(spend all the money you want for upgrades and only a parachute will allow a GENII to stop as well) than any production car in the world.
E.1.2 Turn-in, it is fantastic.
E.1.3 Adhesion Limit much easier to feel=easier to drive close to the limit = less excessive oversteer events.
E.1.4 Better down force management allows for over 140mph without the rear end getting very light.
E.1.5 Less Drag

E.2.0 Comfort
E.2.1 Real soft top, that makes driving in micro climates great.
E.2.1 Interior -improved interior styling and occupant comfort.

Patrick99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL James,
I couldn't agree with you more. I don't want to disrespect any Srt owners out there but come on saying it looks like an Aston Martin. Yah right. If anything it looks like a Honda.

Reaction score
I drove the SRT10 at VOI7 and love it. GENI&II cars are great but the are dated and lacking in performance and comfort.

The styling to me is a more aerodynamic GENI/II rag top.

Our old cars look great, (same for a Cobra) but they are old, as in 11 years old. Change can be hard for some and easier for others.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VERY RANDOM THOUGHTS

These "it looks like a ...." or "I do/don't like..." arguments are largely personal preference comments with opinions flying all over the place.

From early photos, I too thought the SRT resembled the S2000. At the auto show when able to compare the two vehicles in person just a few seconds after seeing each, I realized that this was preposterous. At the same show I overheard one visitor say, like Fred, that he thought it resembled an Aston Martin (though my brain is still not quite seeing this; of course, a few years back my brain could never envision myself driving a car with a stripe down the center).

My $.02 is that yes, the current Viper, especially the GTS to me, is more aggressive looking than the SRT. If forced to choose, I prefer aggressive. On the other hand, the observation of some of the car folks associated with a movie (with a car & truck budget of $12+ million) having four SRTs on hand for filming is that they preferred the look of the SRT and feel that the car's looks put it much more on par with Ferraris and other more expensive supercars of the world. On the performance side, I was told that it was difficult to get their stunt drivers to give up their SRTs.

Anyway, I ordered my SRT precisely because it didn't have a roof. I was never too pleased with the manual dexterity and weather forecasting required of my former beloved RT/10 and its top. Sure I'm also hoping that this "new, easy opening (and closing) top" is more watertight than its predecessor.

So, WHY WOULD SOMEONE BUY AN SRT? Well, besides having a convertible top that you can easily regularly use, from my limited wheel time, the SRT appears faster, with better handling, braking & seating straight off the Reliable truck and it's probably the better built Viper too.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me it would be because I like it better than my RT/10, at least the way it looks and performs. I don't think it looks better than a GTS, but it is not meant too. I don't think ANY ******* car can look better than a coupe version. But as with my RT/10, I never bought a Viper because of looks. I bought because of the unmatched performance that it offers.

Reaction score
Sports Car International - A magazine dedicated to Sports car cars not Sedans, Trucks, SUV's and Vans.

The SRT-10 is featured in the Jan 2003 issue.

One Quote which is also the way I feel.

"Though we're not quite as enchanted with its appearance as we were with the GTS Coupe's, The SRT-10 looks leagues better than its RT/10 Roadster predecessor."

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The SRT kicks ***.

Don't look as good as a GTS, oh well. Maybe the Gen4 will be better-

I wish we could say it was an all-American car....

Globalism has reduced our ability to feel full national pride in our beloved Viper.

But like I said, the SRT kicks ***. I'd get one, if I could. But I'm saving for a Ford GT.

(I'll be saving for at least two years!)

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really can't understand folks that don't like the looks of SRT. When I first saw one at the Chicago Auto Show 2 years ago, I couldn't believe it. It looked fantastic to me. I used a full roll of film and came back a second time to take more pictures with a digital camera and a camcorder. The very first sight of it from a distance, I and the other 2 guys I was with all thought it was a Ferrari.

I just bought a '99 RT/10, and like it very much and will probably have it a long time, but I kind of think of it as a place keeper until I can afford an SRT. I may keep the '99 forever. I definitely do my '99 a lot, including the styling, but the SRT has a lot to offer. Really the only thing I would improve on the SRT is the interior. I know it is supposed to be a big improvement over the GEN II, but I personally just don't like solid black inside. Hopefully in a few years when they need spice things up a bit they will offer the Connelly or similar interior package again.

The true convertible top alone is huge. A few years ago I drove my covertible Mustang GT from Detroit to Denver to the Grand Canyon and back, with the top down 90% of the way. It was one of the best vacations I have ever taken. I want to do that type of drive again, in a convertible and that would be rough in my RT/10. Can't take the hardtop. The soft top is a pain to put on and take off, and leaves very little luggage room in the trunk. I know Vipers are not meant to be practical, but I consider driving a converible sports car 1/2 way across the country and back a very pure form of driving pleasure. I don't think a real convertible top is too much of a compromise to civility.

In summary, I love the looks, think it would be an ideal car for long sporting trips, and it should out perform a GEN II in pretty much every aspect. I think it is great. Only time will tell how the looks age for the SRT, RT and GTS. 20 years from now, people will look at the styling of all of these cars a lot differently. When the '68 Corvette came out, people thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but know what classic corvette it considered the pinnicle of the breed? A '67! Which one has more curves? All Vipers are great, and I love the one I have, but I think a lot of folks on this board are not giving the SRT its due.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RSNAKE, I was fortunate to drive the SRT and agree with you. Once more people get to drive it they will see that its a much better Viper. Its also the most powerful American production car EVER built!
yesnod.gif

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it is supposed to be a big improvement over the GEN II, but I personally just don't like solid black inside. Hopefully in a few years when they need spice things up a bit they will offer the Connelly or similar interior package again.

I heard Connelly was out of business!

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by manasas1:
" will offer the Connelly or similar interior package again."

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard that too. Unfortunate, for any company, but especially one with such a long history of producing fine quality products for some of the greatest automobiles. That is why I included the "or similar" part in my post.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by manasas1:
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard that their livestock fell victim to the "hoof and mouth"
disease. It devastated the herd. What a shame and tragedy!!

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RSNAKE:
...I definitely do my '99 a lot...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Above is just more proof of how hot the lines of the Viper are!

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

Come on folks! The SRT drives better, brakes better, handles bettet, goes faster than Gen II. Please, let it go! The SRT is IMPROVED and looks are your own opinion. I personally don't care a whole lot about the appearance changes. If the SRT was invisible it would probably make me even more enthusiasic because I could drive "Incognito".

Really; please recognize the improvements and let the "looks" be your own opinons. I think the SRT looks great, and I have NO REGRETS after selling my beloved RT-10. The SRT just offers me so much MORE in terms of performance and convenience. I got tired of wondering if I would get drenched on our night out, and worrying if some bonehead would deposit the remainder of their cotton candy in my front seat after a few beers at the State Fair (yes, it can happen).

Please just deal with the changes and acknowledge that the new Viper is a better "driving" Viper. Enough said. Please, respect those who ordered the SRT as fellow Comrades in horsepower lust who really like the new machine.

Who knows? Maybe D/C will "re-issue" the "old" Viper in a few years based on customer demand?

I, for one, don't care to go back! I am looking forward to the future and the benefits it affords.

Jim

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte