Wideband WB O2 project - Photos

D

DAMN YANKEE

First off, thanks to all that helped with information on their Wideband installs, much appreciated. I’ve put together a compilation of photos of my wideband install to give others a head start. This is a preliminary, simplified review of one wideband sensor placement technique.

The background is as follows:

1. If one is committed to doing fine tuning themselves, they will have to improve on the sensitivity of the stock narrowband oxygen readers on their Vipers. As many already know there are four narrowband O2 readers on their stock vipers, two (2) at either side of the header and two (2) directly rear of the cats. Whereas these narrowband readers work perfectly well with the stock PCM and OBD, they simply are not sensitive enough to do fine tuning. There are any number of excellent choices to be made in Wideband O2 (WB) sensor kits and add-on engine management systems. The common element is the need to provide O2 sensor sensitivity to the 1/10 of a percent, get them placed in front of any cats, make sure they operate in the right heat range, are properly wired up and allow for “free air” configuration.

2. One has to make some choices all along the pathway to self tuning. In this case, one makes a choice as to whether to run one or two wideband units. If one wants to afford two (one on either “bank” of side of the engine) one should. However, one can (and many do) run a single bank (one engine side) as this should provide data that reflects both sides of the engine. If one chooses to run a single side, one is also committed to keeping up with reading ALL their plugs at every tune as this will catch most irregularities. Lastly, some weld a **** on both sides, but use a single Wideband sensor, capping the side not being metered and switching Wideband locations very infrequently.

3. There is also a good deal of discussion as to where is the very best location for a wideband O2 sensor. Some argue that at the apex of the header collector is the right place, others at the mid pipe bend, others suggest that a “catless” system can have them mounted in the stock narrowband O2 sensor location. In fact, all of the above can work well. Those that choose the header collection location must monitor the general heat constraints of the wideband unit and provide for a simple copper heat-sink if too much heat is present. Equally important is the fact that the very best location will allow for access to the wideband unit as it really should be configured once a year (minimum seasonal street use) or perhaps once every 10,000 miles (more aggressive race/road use) by being able to remove the sensor for a free fresh air oxygen baseline. Note that others suggest that letting the exhaust rest for 24 hours provides all the “fresh air” required to do the configurations “in place”. I choose the “in the side-sill location” as the right place for ease of access. I also didn’t feel good about leaving any steel “chips” in the pipe after drilling for fear they would be red hot when blown against the cats.

4. One should realize that this might also be the right time to upgrade the sill fasteners (see the detailed directions in “Illustrated Upgrades”) or at least be aware that working with the stock sheet metal sill screws is a delicate affair.

5. Lastly, wideband O2 bungs (the rings that will be welded on the pipe to hold the sensor) are sold separately, I recommend that if you are going to do either a highflo cat, no-cat, or cat-back modification that you at least take the time to weld on the bungs in case you want to add widebands in the future, just add a layer of "Anti Seize" to the included **** cap's threads and seal the bungs off.

The photos here show the work done to place a wideband sensor at the mid-pipe within the sill of a 2000 GTS. One can be placed on either side using this technique. There is two ways of doing this, one is by welding on the car itself (be sure and fully disconnect the battery cables), the other is by removing the mid pipe, easily done when doing an exhaust or cat or both change-over. This series of photos was done when a cat-back system was being installed, so the mid pipe was already hanging free. The mid pipe is unclamped at the header by setting the front end of the car on jacks and removing the band that holds the mid pipe to the header. It should be noted that the actually angle of the “****” (the stainless ring that is welded on that will hold the wideband sensor) is done to allow the sensor to angle forward and slightly outward, but still able to fit in the sill itself. There should be plenty of room, this is not a tough “tight-fit” problem.

1. Get the car on jack stands. Determine if you are doing this “in-place” or you are taking the mid pipe out. If you are taking out the mid pipe, the cat back system has got to come off first.

2. Take off one or both side sills and mark the location of where the **** will be welded. Make sure that, with the wideband unit mounted, everything will fit in the sill. Wrap the mid pipe / cat with a heavy towel so that when it moves it wont scratch anything.

You must be registered for see images

3. Climb under the car and remove the band that holds the mid pipe to the header. Mine came off easily after the clamp was loosened and a small amount of leverage was applied to the clamps “binder lips” that hold the pipe to header. Note the clamp band and the raised binder lips are tacked, its a one piece unit.

You must be registered for see images attach

The clamp nut facing towords us, notice one of the stock narrowbank header sensors.

4. Remove the rubber isolator bracket so that the whole mid pipe unit now can come off.

5. I drilled out the holes first to the diameter of the internal thread hole of the ****. Then I used a Dremel tool to make the final adjustments. One can surface mount as well, no issue. Just be sure that the wideband sensor gracefully fits in the hole. Weld it all together with the **** caps screwed into the bungs. Remove the caps and check the final fit of the wideband sensors.

6. Remount the mid pipe, attach the cat backs. DO NOT TURN ON THE ENGINE until ALL the wideband wiring is complete and functional. Running the engine without the wideband(s) fully functional and powered can destroy them.

You must be registered for see images attach

Again, thanks to all that helped me, hope this helps all of you that will follow. Let me know if anybody wants to see the wire ups (including the use of the status LED, push button grounds switch for free air configurations) and running wires to the cockpit for gauges.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, Yankee! Nice write up!

A few details to add (although it is hard to add to perfection).

- make sure that the sensor is not facing UP. a slight downward angle is preferred. you don't want condensation building up in the sensor or other fluids accumulating in the sensor. Pointed slighted down as DY has done makes for nice longevity of the WB02.

- Although not quite in the scope of this discussion, DO NOT PANIC when you run the car and the readings are incredibly LEAN. Different running conditions call for different readings. Deceleration, for example, leans out immensely (as much as 21:1). Accel NOT under boost may be as rich as 12:1 and as lean as 14:1 or 15:1. under full boost (whether 6psi, 12psi, or 30psi) you don't want to be lean, but ANY other time, lean does NOT equal engine damage. In fact, with a WB02, you can start tuning for better gas mileage under cruise conditions if you want... Just dont' panic!

- WB's jump around a LOT except under WOT. And even then a tad. Again, don't panic.

Good luck to all!

JD

OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

Bear with me here, some of this was a struggle for me early on, and I want this thread to be useful to a less knowledgeable audience.....

Mr. Hemi Head's Request:

Mr. Hemi Head's request is for me to lay out the resulting "A/F" (Air Fuel) adjustments made within the VEC system (and captured in both tables and "graphs") that comes about from using the Wideband sensor's readings (as well as a host of other sensors and readings and experimental driving). The other reference is a request to comment on whether the pre-tuned credit card sized "Smart Card" provided from Sean Roe at Roe Racing was accurate enough to properly tune my Viper or whether I had to make some substanitive adjustments. Sean provides pre-set cards to those that buy his supercharger kits and/or Vecs that reflect the specifics of the owner's cars. This gives the owners a good place to start and Sean stands ready to assist in the final precise tunings.

We start here:

1. The wideband O2 sensor allows us to closely determine whether or not the A/F mixture is approaching ideal Lamda standards.

2. The sensor(s) I mounted were from INNOVATE (LC-1) and they can povide excellent O2 readings to a host of gauges, PCMs, Alternative engine controllers and PC based engine management/tuning software. The LC-1 is a small, relatevely inexpensive O2 unit ($200) and perfect if you want to drive gauges or any quality engine management system (in my case a VEC.)

Definitions:

AF, A/F = Air to Fuel . The ratio of mixture of fuel to air.

Lamda = When air and gasoline are mixed together and ignited, the chemical reaction requires a certain amount of air to completely burn all of the fuel. The exact amount is 14.7 lbs of air for every pound of fuel. This is called the "stoichiometric" air/fuel ratio. It's also referred to the Greek letter "lambda." When lambda equals one, you have a 14.7:1 stoichiometric air/fuel ratio and ideal combustion. When the air/fuel ratio is greater than 14.7:1, lambda also will be greater than one and the engine will have a lean mixture. Having stated that, it is important to note that, under load, a normally aspirated motor may perform best at 12.9:1, while a forced induction motor may perform best anywhere from 11.5:1 to 12.5:1 depending on air temperature and other variables.

Lean mixtures improve fuel economy but also cause a sharp rise in oxides of nitrogen (NOX). If the mixture goes too lean, it may not ignite at all causing "lean misfire" and a huge increase in unburned hydrocarbon (HC) emissions. This can cause rough idle, hard starting and stalling, and may even damage the catalytic converter. Lean mixtures also increase the risk of spark knock (detonation) when the engine is under load.

When the air/fuel ratio is less than 14.7:1, lambda also is less than one and the engine has a rich fuel mixture. A rich fuel mixture is necessary when a cold engine is first started, and additional fuel is needed when the engine is under load. But rich mixtures cause a sharp increase in carbon monoxide (CO) emissions, generating more heat at the catalytic converter with resulting damage.

When the relative proportions of air and fuel are "just right," the mixture burns clearly and produces the fewest emissions. The trick is balancing the mixture as driving conditions, temperatures and loads are constantly changing.

2. The answers

Yes, I have and will continue to need to make some changes. The pre-set Smart Cards were close but did not take into account fully (nor could they realistically) my Long Term Fuel Trim Adaptives and other modifications I had made. Having said that the Viper ran well with the pre-made Smart Cards. The driving I got in with the new set-up was incredible to say the least. Unfortunatley it is 8 degress here and the roads are covered in salt so I have to wait.

I'll post both a set of stock settings, the prepared Smart Card and my final results in a seperate thread, partially because I'm not 100% there yet and partially because this thread on O2 sensors shouldn't only apply to the VEC systems. It is important to note that VCA has distinquished themselves in helping people with formal reviews of their data logs and resulting set-ups. There is a community of Viper owners that email their programs to one another, allowing for a great repository of knowledge. One is not alone in working with systems of these types at VCA.

Joseph Dell's comments are also spot on. How could I have forgotten to relay that the new wideband O2 sensors should be mounted on the exhaust in the "10:00 - 2:00" position? Shows one how a single set of eyes in this game is prone to fail, nobody should tune their own car endlessly without taking it to a great tuner at least annually to be sure they catch the mistakes made.

Also, absolutely no LEADED gas can be burned as this can reuce the service life of the sensor to less than 100 hours. Equally important is one does not wire the wideband sensors in a manner that turns them on PRIOR to the engine starting as depending on their location and the weather large amounts of condensation in the exhaust could be blown by the exhust stream directly into the sensors resulting in heat shock (these sensors heat to a high heat when turned on).

Joseph's other comments, on the subject of O2 readings within vacuum and positive induction are more advanced and require some backgound as well. Once again, they reflect on using the wideband as a means to tune. Closed-Loop and Open-loop status as well as a host of important topics are broached here. You can all master these subjects with proper preparation. I wont go into to detail here for fear that I'll bore you all to death.

There are also some very real power and grounding reqirements in the proper wiring on a Wideband system. Enough for now...

G

grcforce327

I think you'll be very satisfied with this setup!!!
:D :D :D

Guy C.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn Yankee all this reading is giving me a headache. :bonker:

Engineers prefer hard data such as charts, pictures and graphs.

Dispense with the writing and graph a few 3rd gear pulls, with the stock tune, and post the results.

Seriously thanks for your efforts. I don't recall a thread with this amount of tuning related info .

OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

Won't be able to until clear weather...all you warm weather birds will have to lead on, post a few! I, for one, would be very interested.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn Yankee:

IMHO you are in for a surprise, you will also have to monitor air density and IAT, the viper PCM has some quirks and what is good at 90 degrees doesn't work at 60 degrees. If the oem PCM is utilized you almost need to have cards for different IAT's. The VEC3 software should help somewhat. I also have been chasing the holy grail of a/f for a long time. What are you going to use for the logging, the vec or Logworks.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
D

DAMN YANKEE

Jack, Hopefully not too many hard surprises.

First,I am running the VEC3 and the newest release software (VEC2/3 firmware is version 5.108). But having said that, I am here to learn, please do let me know what you can.

So far this is what I have picked up:

1. I have a very realistic view of my end game. I want a great tune for street driving. I do not expect to squeeze out the last horsepower for a number of reasons, not the least of which is I still am running stock cast pistons.

2. The stock PCM IAT temp tables are good but not great. I can do what most guys do here in the North East, they build cards for major temperature range changes. Carrying around a set for 60 degree days and having to swap them out in the middle of the summer is something I am more than willing to do. In fact, I am thrilled to be able to finally account for the differences.

3. The VEC3 has an internal configurable IAT table. When I get closer to targeting the low and high temp fuel correction %, I am planning to load them in and see i I can get this down to one card. Are you using this table now?

Cold Air = Dense Air = More Air = Less Fuel in the Air = LEAN Mixture
Hot Air = Thin Air = Less Air = More Fuel in the Air = RICH Mixture

As to air density, I take it you are referring to barametric pressure. What can, should be done?

So far I have been using the Vec's software but have begn to look more closely at LOGWORKS (the software from INNOVATE). INNOVATE has a whole slew of top products as well. What do you use?

I know there is a growing group of people that really want to understand what those of you that are further along this process have learned. Whatever happens, the same limiters on the stock PCM (IAT, AP, Etc.) are there for all Vipers, at least my tune will be as good as I can get it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456