Wider wheels ?????????????

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased some used track Purners that were supposed to be factory widths.....10" and 13" (if I remember correctly) These Purners are 11.5" and 14" wide. I will (am) running KumhoV700 or Hoosier autocross tires. Thoughts ???? tnx

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both are 17". I am not worried about them fitting the car, I am concerned about how the 275/40 and 335/35 will fit the wheel width.

racewheel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you probably measured outside edge to outside edge, if that is the case they are 10.5 and 13" wide and the 275/335 tire setup will be fine.

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SoCal, Kumho doesn't make any larger tire than I quoted above. Hoosier might, but I have tryed them and am wanting to stay with the Kumhos.

Thanks John, I have been measuring wheels for 25 years and these were measured from the inside lips where the tire touches. Will the sizes I quoted above work and be safe on the wider wheels. I do have an e-mail in to Kumho asking this question.

What ticks me off is that the seller said 10" and 13" arghhhh

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the only thing you can run on those rims are race tires. When I say race I mean not DOT approved like the Hoosiers and BFG's. The widest street tire I know of is the 345mm. When you go to racing slicks you can get wider. I would not use slicks on the road though. See if you can find someone to trade with on this board It seems someone who races may want them. :rolleyes:

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bump....any more thoughts ?

Tony, For the 17's would go to 315's on the front and 335's for the rear on the Hoosiers. If you do this, you will have a much larger tire contact patch for autocrossing especially on the fronnts where the Vipers tend to push at slower speeds depending on your alignment. You will probably have to get the car realigned to maximize your handling with the wider fronts.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TonY:

The 3.35's need a minimum of a 12" wheel. Keep the Ecsta's on the rear and use the 3.15 Vito-Racers on the front (you wil need 11.5-12" wheel), forget about the 2.85's on the front. Talk to John Purner, he will give you the best info.

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack, That may be a good thing to do. [email protected] :)
says the Victoracers actually do better (stickier) than the Ecstas. Hoosier also makes that front size......it does look like Hoosiers will fit better on the rears than the Ecsta 335/35, the Kumho section looks to narrow on the 13" where the Hoosier looks much better. I have a pair of both mounted on factory wheels.

And to answer the question as to if I can measure wheels correctly.....the stocker is a 10" front.

248purnerwheels1-med.jpg

SoloIIRacer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was running 17x12 on all 4 corners with 335 Ecstas, but the car was extremely loose under power. I was hoping to run this combo to maximize tire wear, but it just wasn't working. I didn't like the 335's up front, to tall, and to mushy, it wasn't very good in slow corner. So we are currently changing to what is mentioned above. We are staying with the 17x12 front rims, but going to 315 Victoracers, and staying with the 335's in the rear, but going back to the 17x13.

The 11.5's you have for the front would be great for this combo as well, but I believe the 335 Escta will be to narrow for the 14" wide rear. So you have 2 choices: 1) stretch a Hoosier over that rim, which is shorter and wider than the Ecsta or 2) Call John and get 13" rim halves and run the Ecstas on the rear. Personally, I like option 2, Kumho's are a much better all around tire. Just think of this, what would you rather be on when it starts to pour, treaded Kumho's, or slick Hoosiers? Kumho's are great for big heavy powerful cars. The ASP/SM2 SoloII national championship car that runs out here has always been on Kumho's, the 315/335 combo now, and it is lightning fast. Plus, they are cheaper, and wear longer :) I bet with the difference in price between the Kumho's and the Hoosiers, you could buy the rim halves from John at CCW, I bet he would even work some kind of trade for your current halves.

Good luck.

Jeff
Going racing this weekend

SoloIIRacer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
315 Victoracers on the front on 17x12" CCW's, and 335 Ecsta's on 17x13" CCW's out back. Kumho doesn't offer 315 Ecsta's, nor do they have 335 Victoracers.

Wouldn't it be great if they offered a monster of a rear race tire for us Viper racers, like a 365 or maybe even bigger to fit on those 14" rims you have?

Going autocrossing this weekend.

Jeff

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw something today about a new Pirelli tire called the Rosso it had a 355/25 I do not know what dia it was though. You may want to check around this tire just came out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant