Will New motor bolt into older cars?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Dodge, 'not without major work'.

I think major work will have to happen though, since parts for the older cars are getting more and more rare.

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Motors, or crate motors as they are referred to are still available today. Gen I engines are extremely limited. Gen II engines, yes 6 left in warehouses across the US and we have two in stock. Not for long though, two will be leaving for France in 45 days. Most parts will continue to be available based on demand. The crate engines have an optional street rod electrical harness so they can be adapted to power about anything. No word yet on the 505 motor being offerred as a crate engine.

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo, Paolo, I know what you are thinking, and I like it. Bye the way, have you broken 200 MPH yet? I still need to go for a ride.

Reaction score
hmmm..... superior styling of Gen II + Gen III engine= Ultimate Viper.

That is... unless the gen III engine turns out to be a flop. It is very possible they designed the new engine with the "thought" in the back of there head about "cheapening". Maybe the new engine REALLY isnt as good as the Gen II's... it may not be able to handle as much as Gen II if they cheapened it up. At least you know what you got with a Gen II.

As for handling... what exactly did they do to the SRT to make it handle (supposedly) so much better? Why do I have the feeling that whatever they did could be done to the current vipers? (or at least replicated in a different way?)

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
"Cheapening" is not a word in PVO's vocabulary!

You can expect the new engine to have the same bulletproof characteristics of the current generation cars!

As far as addressing the question: "What did they do to make it handle better?"

The SRT was designed as a RACE CAR first (and that's why the first concept using the new bodystyle was the GTS/R), ALL characteristics of the car were built to withstand the punishment of an ALMS bound car, and all the "weaknesses" of the current bodystyle and engineering were addressed.

To quote one of the engineers at PVO: "Everything is better!"

YES!

pitviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
then why are they not building a new "ALMS bound" GTS-R? they can't really expect the current GTS-R's to keep up forever, even though they are still pretty much the penultimate production based racer. are they perhaps waiting for the new rules fo 2004 to come out from the FIA/ACO? i wish they would just bite the bullet and commit to sportscar racing...

pit

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is your choice: Go ALMS racing or have the funding to possibly produce ANOTHER street Viper? They now come from the same budget, so pick your poison.

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>You can expect the new engine to have the same bulletproof characteristics of the current generation cars!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in bed (**literally**) with one of the suppliers of internals for Gen I, II, and now Gen III engines. The parts are top notch. Yes, even the cast Mahle pistons.

I was told the major challenge of Gen III engines into earlier cars will be the location of the motor mounts. But it would not be unheard of to have a crate version of the Gen III engine with a block that would mate up to the mounts in a Gen I/II frame.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery