Will sale of Viper line change warranties?

jmsrx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's say I purchase a 2009 ACR and buy an extended warranty. What are the possible effects that a sale of the Viper line could have on warranties of existing Dodge Vipers? Would companies that offer extended warranties have some kind of "out" on providing service? If you look at the number of cars sitting on car lots, now is a great time to haggle down on the price of a Viper. But I don't want to get into a car that may not get serviced in the future. Any thoughts.
James

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, it's similar to buying a building with existing tenants (leases). You must acquire subject to the existing leases. I would be virtually impossible for the company to be sold without it's existing obligations and liabilities. A new owner may not offer warranty extensions or new products and accessories for that matter, but they would be acquiring subject to all the existing corporate obligations.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not necessairly.

Many purchases are of the assets only, with no liabilities purchased.

Might make more sense for Dodge to handle the warranties of the cars they have sold up to the purchase date.

Automakers delete model production all the time, but maintain their warranty obligations.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul's right - your warranty will be honoered in any of the possible scenarions: (1) Chrysler keeps making Vipers themselves (keep your fingers crossed); (2) Chrysler sells the Viper line; (3) Chrysler kills the Viper line.

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I heard that Dodge will be making a deal with PEP BOYS for all of our service needs.