Will the 2013 Viper be the Indy Pace car?

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a totally new car with outstanding performance. It would be a total shot in the face if they choose yet another Chevy:nono:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt it, Mopars do not get a lot of Love for being Pace cars. Would be cool though

Bruce

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
While I really don't know the answer as to how pace cars are chosen...I'm betting it's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be a party pooper, but does anyone actually still care about Indy? Are they still a bunch of Honda's? Truthfully I would much rather see the Viper at LeMans where it belongs, rather than some has been roundy round track. Hiring Gene Simmons to market Indy................talk about a washed up lost series.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the Indy 500 still America's #1 auto racing venue? Then that's where as a pace car the Viper would be great advertising for SRT. Le Mans, - that's where the Viper should compete to tell the world "I'm faster and I can last."

OP
OP
Lawrenzo

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the latest Autoweek there was a story about Sebring, and it stated that a bunch of SRT guys were present. They inferred that there is a very high likelyhood of the Viper getting officially back into the racing world.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the latest Autoweek there was a story about Sebring, and it stated that a bunch of SRT guys were present. They inferred that there is a very high likelyhood of the Viper getting officially back into the racing world.

That's about the smartest move that they could make, I'll bet you can thank Ralph for that.

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pace car in my opinion will be the Camaro ZL1 or the '13 Shelby GT500. And like someone else posted it probably all about money. With that being said Im betting its the ZL1 but would prefer the GT 500.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A commment on the photo by DriveSRT, "Thanks for the comments, Justin, Shi and James. One of the 'pillars of SRT' is that everything you see on the exterior is functional.
they're dropping hints, and it's location is definately on one of the pillars... so rear diff cooling duct it is.

meant to post this in the teaser thread...

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Pretty sure ole Stevie from Indy has the definitive answer ----$$$$$$$$$$$ ! The 2008 Viper should have been a great candidate, but MoPar didn't send Mo Money than the other company !

STORMCAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chevy powered cars are coming back to the Indy car series,, My bet there will be a Chevy pace car.,,

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 1991 Carroll Shelby drove the prototype Viper as a pace car at the Indy 500. Chrysler was going to use a Mitsubishis until the UAW stepped in with LOUD complaints.

Shelby: "So I drove it for 30 days, taking everyone for rides around Indianapolis (in the prototype Viper)" (from Carroll Shelby by Rinsey Mills, page 509.) A search of images in google has more than one photo of Shelby and the Viper at Indy.

Usually the pace car company has to provide Indy with ?? amount of cars to be used during the month by Indy people. I really don't know what Chrysler did in 1991 as there was only one (?) prototype in existence at the time.

Shelby had started to build a prototype Viper at about 3000 lbs in California, but according to him, he never finished it. It was powered by a Chrysler V8 (iron block 360?). He wanted to build an aluminum block V8, twin turbo, 3000lb Viper. Before he could do much, his heart problems kicked up and he dropped out of active work with Chrysler. Chrysler pulled the program back to Detroit and the rest is history, as they say.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are already about 50 of these Camaro festival cars at Indy BUT the pace car maybe a little different, remember in 1991 the Viper was used instead of the Stealth because it had a lot of foreign parts (??) and in 1996, when Lutz paced the track in the 1996 GTS, there were NO festival cars, rather they had other Vipers at the track from owners like us...and did have a Ram truck as a festival vehicle...Blue/White...if my mind is still working properly !!??

OP
OP
Lawrenzo

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of Course and it will be blue with white stripes... with a Ram as well same as 96 you watch..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950