Willow Springs ate a few Vipers this weekend

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Including mine. Bummer.

Race Craft lost two Vipers at turn 1 on saturday. From what I hear they made contact. Looked pretty bad but the drivers came out okay, thank goodness. It looks like one car was a total. Mumford was driving really well and won the pole position in the racer's class. You're a great driver Mumford.

Sunday, I munched it coming out of turn 3 and into turn 4, during the student class. Not a total loss, (I hope), but there was some frame damage. I could at least limp it home to San Diego from Willow. The front facia is gone, the backsplash is gone, one side sill is gone, and the exhaust is tweaked. I didn't see how Mumford did, because I was too bummed and headed home.

I stare at it in my garage and still can't believe it happened. Every time I look at the damage I think it won't be there but it still is. Hopefully insurance will cover damage while at a driving school.

GaryC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is great that you are OK, wayyyyyyyyy sorry about the car, I have made up my mind that this boy will not be racing his car for sometime but I need to learn the limits but at a slower speed.

The Statium will be fine for now.

GaryC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not tell the Insurance company about racing the car, I would say you took yourself out somewhere in the desert.

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate the compliment, but don't feel too bad. I've never seen worse conditions at that place. There was zero traction this weekend. 30 something degrees and cloudy probably had something to do with it. Everybody I talked to was going 2-3 seconds slower than normal.

You should've come and talked to some of the Viper racers. The first thing most of us would tell you if you're new is that turn 3 is a tough place for a new driver in a Viper. Always try to find an experienced Viper driver to show you around. The lines, places to watch out for, things to focus on, etc. are much different for a Viper than the Integra a lot of instructors are driving.

Don't worry too much, though, you were in a driving school and it wasn't timed so the insurance has to pay. From what I've heard, they pay the first time and then usually get wise and exclude all track activity so the next time it's on you.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ugh! That's really bad news, Ulysses, but I'm glad you're ok. That's a tough way to start out tracking your car.

SoCal and I were up at Famoso on Saturday, and conditions were equally crappy, though neither of us lost it (fortunately). It's funny: the track looked dry, but there was obviously some amount of condensation, and the track surface must've been very cold.

Hang in there and let us know how it works out.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ulysses,

That realy sux ! Glad you are ok though. I went to Carlsbad on
Sunday and the track seemed great, the air was cool in the morning and if the sun wasn't out I'm sure the track would have
been slick.

Mike, I heard that SoCal got wiped by a stock F body camaro at
Famosa OUCH !
I ran only three runs at Carlsbad as there were a ton of cars there. My best run was my first one until I missed the 3-4 shift,
I had a 60' time of 1.967 on that run and the ET was 12.541 even missing the shift. My best ET was 12.420 at 116.08
This was with the Z06 ("the sled")

Regards,

Steve

OP
OP
U

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good News, fellas! I called the insurance company and I am covered. Since I have no tickets and no accidents my rates won't change either. Some light at the end of the tunnel, eh? Thanks, to everyone for their concern and cross your fingers for me. Hopefully it won't be a total.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VERY sorry about your wreck...Since I am a recent victim I can empathise...Mine has been 2 weeks and I am starting to get over it, plus having the car at the shop means you don't have to look at the damage every day (that helps!)..

Hand in there and glad you are OK...

Tomer

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ulysses,

Do you know where you will have it fixed? I would HIGHLY recamend
Phil Therls Auto Werks in Santee ! I don't know if they work on Vipers, but they have an excelent reputation and they repainted
the bumper on my BMW M3, Twice
frown.gif
( that car seemed to attract people that liked to run into it ) They did a great job and they work on high end cars.

Good luck,

Steve

OP
OP
U

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a shop that Mile Carrasco recommended in Escondido that has done good work on Vipers before. I don't have the name on me, but he highly recommends them. I was also pointed towards Said's shop. He has a great reputation.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the damage Ulysses, but glad the insurance will pay out. In August I met a guy at Dan Cragins who is his recommended frame and body fixer, sounded like he had all the answers, might be worth checking out. Good luck.

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ulysses,
You should have come over to talk to all the Viper guys. I was not driving but was there on Saturday instructing. It would have been a pleaseure to ride with you. Turn three is tricky. In the middle of the corner there is a camber change at the point where you want to start putting down a lot of power. This really ads to the difficulty of the corner.

Really sorry to hear. Next time come say hello.

MUMFORD STILL *****!!! GETTING OUTBRAKED BY JOHNNY YUMA (WEIGEL)

OP
OP
U

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Especially since I am truly bummed. It's okay because all that was injured was my ego and possibly my wallet. Even though I am depressed, I am still walking.

Paul, Ken, I was actually going slow. I backed off as soon as it started raining. I estimate I was going about 30 around the turn. I clipped the apex marker and the wheel actually dug into the tar (red and white paint all over the rim edge) threw the car off balance and caused the rear to swing out. Any faster and I would have been upside down as I went up the sand/rock burm before turn 4. If I had the foresight, I would not have run in the rain. Yes, I should've pulled one of you guys aside and asked for a ride along. A big mistake on my part.

OP
OP
U

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amit said:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Why? Wouldn't you rather just get a new one?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't mind having an ABS model, but this engine feels strong to me and it hardly burns any oil at all.

OP
OP
U

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The adjuster just called. Man, I feel like I was sat down in a dark room under a hot light and interrogated.

"What were you doing on the 2nd of December, Ulysses? You were racing weren't you?"

"No, fellas, I swear I wazn't. I was at a driving school."

"Feeling a little warm, Ulysses, a little nervous, maybe? Would you like a glass of water? Tell us the truth and you can have a nice cool glass of water."

IMSOSLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ulysses,

Been too busy to read the board for a while so I just saw your message. Man, really sorry to hear about your car. As you know I feel your pain as I have been off the track at Willow as well. If yours is in the shop too long and you get the itch come next door and you can take mine for a spin.

Good luck,

Ken

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your bad luck..
frown.gif

I totalled my steel grey a few weeks ago.. and can empathise.

At the rate the steel greys are crashing they arent going to be very many left..
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

nutsRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ULY
Sorry to hear about the "Snake". Glad you are OK and your insurance will cover. Hope you are back up and running soon..

Perry

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Ulysses, I hope the settlement goes well. Mine has gone pretty good, but its still a pain in the *** .

I'm tired of experiencing and reading about wrecked Vipers.
Tony, How about we put a new forum for Viper wrecks and accidents?