Winter Tire storage and tire performance

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Winter is here again .... however I have a big problem. The last years I had only 4 race tires that I was able to put in my walk-in for the winter. My Wife was unhappy but on my side of the walk-in I can store whatever I want. This year I have ten race tires to store and they will not fit in my walk-in.

During winter the temperature drops below -20F.

What is the minimal storage temperature for:

- Hoosier A6
- Michelin Pilote Sport
- Kumho Ecsta V700
- BFGoodrich g-force T/A Drag Radial

How low storage temperature affects tire life and performance ?
Is there any write up on this subject ?

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they freeze, they are toast. I store my racing tires in large garbage bags (to prevent light) in the basement at 70 F all winter. With that being said, the V700s will tolerate cold better than softer slicks. The Hoosiers will crack if they freeze and they will be worthless. I would put the new ones (or ones with a few heat cycles) indoors for sure. You might talk to Bob Woodman or John Purner (CCW wheels) to get some better ideas. Hope this helps...

Reaction score
If you do store them inside they have to kept away from any electrical motors no matter if they are bagged or not. I have never had issues with tires being to cold. It the spring you will scrub off the top layer and they will be fine. The more heat cycles they have seen the less this will matter anyway.

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience is different, and I lived in Texas where the winters were mild. If any true slicks freeze, they just do not expand and contract properly during heat cycles any more. That makes them extremely dangerous when they heat up, no matter how many cycles are on the tires. I learned this lesson the hard way with a set of Goodyear Eagle G1s several years ago. Most people who sell slicks will not ship them if it is freezing outside.

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is not a good idea to let them as the rubber compound will become brittle and cracking isa real poosibility. With that said most attached unheated garages rarely get and stay below freezing.

as far as tire companies not shipping them when it's freezing that is not really factual. They do ship their product but require the truck drivers to take a more southern route even if it takes a little longer

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob Woodman won't ship in the winter and neither will John Purner- the main sources for viper slicks- so speak for yourself. Not sure tirerack is the best source for slicks- I couldn't even get Toyo Proxes RA1s from your store...

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is not a good idea to let them as the rubber compound will become brittle and cracking isa real poosibility. With that said most attached unheated garages rarely get and stay below freezing.

as far as tire companies not shipping them when it's freezing that is not really factual. They do ship their product but require the truck drivers to take a more southern route even if it takes a little longer

Thanks for the info and feedback Luke.

/Rich

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I removed my clothes from one section of my walk-in and put my slicks for the winter inside :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper