Wiper problem....help!!

Denny Wagner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Viper Bro's!!
Can anyone tell me why my windsheild wipers make two passes EVERY time I turn my "93 RT/10 on or off? It's sure getting annoying, and I don't have a clue why it does it. Thanks to all for any input!!

Retired in N.E. Pennsylvania

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 1994 service manual has a troubleshooting guide for wipers in section 8K. It may be the same for your 93. The guide describes no failure mode like yours. There is a control module that controls the delay wiper operation and the wiper synchronization. Here's how to remove the module.
Lift the passenger side carpet and remove the floor pan cover. Remove the two module mounting screws. Disconnect the connector and remove the module.
I would look at the contacts on the connector and the plug. Look for corrosion that might let a sneak path trigger the module on power up. Since the module is an electronic device, it would be my prime suspect in this situation. All the other connectors and switches in the wiper system would seem to me to be more likely to cause a more constant problem.
If you don't see anything wrong with the connectors on the module or its plug, you might just have a slightly faulty control module. There is no procedure in my manual for testing the control module.
If there are any other problems with the wipers, such as problems with the delay, that would point to the module also.
I have no idea how much $$ the module is. If it's an expensive part I would try to find a very good buddy who would let you use his module for a swap to test. If you find someone, you should put your module in his car. If the problem follows the module then you know the module is at fault. In that case, create some kind of diversion and quickly drive away with his module.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem, this is what you do.....

My driver-side wiper would stop and go and do what it wanted. The passenger-side would go to speed that you would like. This is where it is weird. The motor that seems to work properly is the one that is bad. So my bad one was the passanger-side. The sensor on the inside that tells the PC where the wiperis, is failing. So this cured my problem. E-mail me your diagnosis.

mrfixit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI!! 5/28/04 Reply info for the wiper cycling issue. My name is Rick and I am a Viper Tech in Florida. We have a Viper with this Cycling issue in our shop right now. The following is what we have found thanks to the info on in this forum.
This Cycling problem "IS" due to an aftermarket Audio system as suggested. The System, in this Viper, has 2 large Capacitors wired into the Audio power supply to stablize the radio voltage when a large load is turned on (ie: headlights, a/c, etc.) When you shut the vehicle off, the Capacitors create a voltage spike back through the Radio and Wiper Module "ignition on" circuit. This is what causes the Wipers to cycle when the key is turned off. The Installer for the system will need to put a diode between the Wiper module and the radio to stop this condition.
The wiring for most all the Viper Audio Systems is the same, so this can happen in most all model year Vipers. Page 08-11-05 of the wiring diagram section of the 99 Viper Service Manual (should be the same for most all manuals) shows the relationship of the Radio and the Wiper Module. They both use the same ignition switch voltage source though, it splices to 2 different fuses, one for the wiper module and the other the radio.
Thought you might like to know
Thanks for the Help
Rick