Wipers go on when I shut down the engine..help!

Denny Wagner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Viper Bros!! Hey, has anyone had this problem? When I start the engine AND when I turn off the engine on my RT/10, the wipers go on and make 2 passes. What the H*ll is going on? Is it the wiper stalk/switch or what? I look like a geek when I pull into a show with a crowd around me, and the wipers start by themselves!! Any help would sure be appreciated !!
Retired....93 Red RT/10 w/Pennsylvania licence plate: FFFFAST

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of that one! I'd start by looking inside the steering column housing, because something is triggering the wiper input, as if the contacts are closing on the stalk switch.

You might have something broken in there, that gets bumped by the movement of the ignition.

Also, do you have any chaffing wires under the hood, around the engine, or elsewhere?

Ask JonB at Parts Rack, I'll bet he has seen it before.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the wipers are making 2 passes with each on-off of ignition, sounds like the module that synchronizes each wiper
motor function is not sensing the parking(rest) position
of each motor(blade). There is a 2 wipe mode function set in
the control module that is used for wash-pump activation.
Possibly 1 or both blades are failing to park at set rest position(as picked up by rest sensor on each motor). Check each
blade to see if it is parked at the right position at rest, and use a volt meter to run through the trouble shooting guide in
your Viper manual.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have an aftermarket stereo/amp or any other aftermarket electronics in the Viper? Here's my story: When I bought my 1998 GTS off the original owner, the car did the same thing with the wipers. He had an aftermarket stereo amplifier in the car, of which I assumed was causing this problem. The installer probably tapped into a power wire that the wipers ran off of. Well, to make a long story short, he took the car to a professional audio shop, were they installed a new amplifier and rewired the system. WIPER PROBLEM GONE.... In my case, incorrect wiring of the aftermarket amp was causing this problem.

Later

Reaction score

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe your Viper is winking
smile.gif
at the crowd
rolleyes.gif

Tomer