Won't go in to reverse without a fight

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My 04 Viper has about 13k on it and it has been trouble free. A couple weeks ago I was on a date and went to reverse out of a parking spot, it wouldn't even attempt to go in to reverse. I played with it for a few minutes and finally decided to put some muscle on it. After some serious shoulder pushing, it moved over and in to reverse. No grinding in any gears, no grinding even going in to reverse, just hard to move it past the 5/6 gear gate.

Anyone have any ideas?

I did some searching, but strangely found very little.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had similar trouble with my 09...you can't just throw it. You need to make a firm and deliberate push to the right, before moving up to reverse.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
next time double or tripple clutch it first and c if that helps. may have a smidge of air in it, or a poopy pressure plate/clutch

Reaction score
There is a reverse lock out solenoid that can go bad, check the fuse it is associated with first and then if that is fine see a dealer and have the solenoid checked.

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had similar trouble with my 09...you can't just throw it. You need to make a firm and deliberate push to the right, before moving up to reverse.

This is more of a two ****** shove in to reverse, not what has been typical.

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I looked in my manual for the fuse location and couldn't find it. Which one is it?

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had it happen to me. I believe its a yellow 20Amp fuse. Mine would blow due to a short I had in a secondary O2 on the passanger side. replace fuse and all happy until I hit the right bump that would move the wires and trip the fuse. Anyway I fixed the issue, my reverse selenoide was fine but it can go bad im sure. If you cann't find it then pull them all and test.

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the dust boot on the shifter if that is torn it will jam itself in the fork making it hard for the shifter to go into first and reverse

OP
OP
S

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had it happen to me. I believe its a yellow 20Amp fuse. Mine would blow due to a short I had in a secondary O2 on the passanger side. replace fuse and all happy until I hit the right bump that would move the wires and trip the fuse. Anyway I fixed the issue, my reverse selenoide was fine but it can go bad im sure. If you cann't find it then pull them all and test.

I checked out my yellow fuses, there wasn't one that was obviously blown. Anyone know which one it is for sure so that I ran rule this out? I'd hate to take it to the stealership only to pay them to change a fuse.

I checked the boot and I'm good, unfortunately the fourth trick doesn't work.