Word of warning on Protection Group

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe this is a repeat, but...
Here is a warning for anyone looking at a new Viper, pass on the Protection Group. I got my car cover delivered today and it is a POS. Do not waste your money!! I will now have to go out and buy a decent cover for my new car, because I wouldn't put the one they sent me on a Yugo. Grrrr... I hate spending $400 on a set of $65 floor mats and a $25 car cover.

Vent over.....

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overpriced.. yes but both work great for me....

vip12.JPG

mat3.JPG

mat1.JPG

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have one too and it looks and feels like it will minor scratch your paint

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i use my cover every night and not a single scratch and trust me i've looked religously.....This is assuming you don't put the cover over a "dirty" car

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
will try it,hate to not use it for the money it cost,thanks

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
place the whole cover on the roof , then put the mirror covers over the mirrors, then put it over the rear of the car, then pull it over the front.. if u detail your car and have a layer of wax on it then the cover will slide off the car with ease , in fact if you sit it on the hood it will slide right off because the cover is pretty slick

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The BAD thing about the protection group is the floor mats. The factory CUTS two 1x0.5" rectangluar HOLES in the driver side carpet for the hook (yes, they remove two rectangular pieces of the carpet!).

You could say that the carpet is "ruined" if you decide that you want to go with something else but the factory mat/hook, since the hook position is incompatible with most 3rd party mats that use dual hooks. The factory mat uses a single hook on the driver side. 3rd party mats like the Lloyd mats have dual hooks that create tiny 0.25" circular holes that don't remove any fabric. (Of course the third party mats cover the unsightly factory holes exposed when removing the factory hook. Nevertheless, this is IMHO very undesirable).

See this thread for a picture of the factory hook: http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...emove-factory-floor-mat-hook-driver-side.html

Last edited: