Worst Crash in Gumball 3000 History (WARNING: very Graphic)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!

That was terrible. Question - how come there are no helmets or roll bars? Seems that helmets would be the bare minimum.

From the description that it rolled end over end 1 turn on the side the driver and passenger can thank their lucky stars that it did not go over and land on the top. The windshield and roll hoops were intact and did not look like they had any contact.

Whew!

VIPER52USA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The helmet and roll cage thought struck my mind too. I sometimes think to myself "maybe I should wear a helmet just for street driving". Not that I drive crazy, but if you think about it, it would be a lot more safe. I'm glad their ok, from the first view of them in the car (when their heads were hanging down) I was shocked. I'm so glad they are ok.

djemcee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes me want to get harness seat belts. Noticed he replaced the oem rollbar with a aftermarket rollbar. Car faired well for the accident. Another words cockpit was very intact. Glad everyone survived.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I looked at the video in stop action it looked like the left rear tire blew out. Is that what happened? I didn't need to see this as I am all set for the Silver State Classic next month. Pretty scarey!
Bob K

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the Torquenstein Viper! It was a Venom 650R (stroker), with HRE rims and an autoform rollbar. He hit a bad section of road in Morrocco, and you can see what happened! Too bad, it was a seriously built car. For more info: torquenstein.net

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to see what really happen, but from the looks of it, I believe there was an aplication of the brakes as the car was coming up from the bad dip dip in the road. It's often a natural responce to do this. There is a pause in the antilock system, so no help there.

I guess the other cars were making it over this spot in the road, and had no problem. The SRT should have been right at home on this road.

At high speed, a dip in the road can also cause an unintended movement of the sterring.

Glad there going to be ok.

Skip White

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!

That was terrible. Question - how come there are no helmets or roll bars? Seems that helmets would be the bare minimum.

From the description that it rolled end over end 1 turn on the side the driver and passenger can thank their lucky stars that it did not go over and land on the top. The windshield and roll hoops were intact and did not look like they had any contact.

Whew!

Look closely. He has the autoform rollbar on his car.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My god. Glad they are ok....I dont know if its a testament to the SRT10's safeness or sheer luck that they survived. Or both...The cockpit is remarkably in good condition...Wonder if the engine can be used again...the rest even the rims are finished.....

Its dangerous to go full tilt on roads you've never driven or dont often drive on fast. Bumps at 50mph react waay differently at 100+mph ..Ive seen a guy in a BMW here on the Belt Pkwy dissappear into the swamps for similar reason as what happened to TQS....A series of undulating bumps and he lost control....When they finally pulled it out he had California plates....I guess he didnt know NY streets aint like Cali streets..

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the Torquenstein Viper! It was a Venom 650R (stroker), with HRE rims and an autoform rollbar. He hit a bad section of road in Morrocco, and you can see what happened! Too bad, it was a seriously built car. For more info: torquenstein.net

I don't think the words 'Too bad' should be used when describing any part of this incident. I know you're just referring to the car, but they are two of the luckiest people alive.

After watching the entire video, two things come to mind.

1.) You never know. Be safe.

2.) I am very fortunate to live in the US where top-notch medical care is the norm.