Worst teaser campaign ever

Kaneda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but Dodge has no clue how to tease such an exciting car. Obscure photo teasers? I mean, that's so 2002. With so many more interesting and compelling ways to tease a car, why are they even bothering with this lame facebook photo reveal campaign. I work in marketing for a living and it just kills me when brands can't think creatively at all, especially when the thing being marketed has such a passionate following. Here are some ideas I would have done if I were Dodge:

1. Release an audio track of the car accelerating
2. Video of a 2010 ACR trying to chase down the new car at a secret track. Blur out the rear end, but just seeing how the new car moves and pulls away would be amazing.
3. Do something that jabs at the ZR1 - I would have invited every ZR1 owner to the gala this week and make that invite a piece of content
4. Release the WRONG images. - This is probably the best and most amazing thing a car company could ever do. I would totally have released images of a car that was viper-like but a little underwhelming. Create hysteria amongst the die hards. Then pull back the curtain and reveal something 10x better.

Too many marketing campaigns play it safe. Too many campaigns don't create an interesting narrative that has ups and downs, tension and resolution. This campaign has been crap. Don't even get me started on how much of a mistake it was to not have Clint Eastwood end his historic super bowl ad with the reveal of the Viper. If there is one car that symbolizes american muscle and determination it's the viper.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you work in marketing why didn't you get your "insider" to get you the job of promoting the Gen V? :dunno:

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like your ideas and they would have been very cool to see (with the exception of the ZR1 jabs IMO).
I don't think it is the worst campaign ever, as I have been glued to this Forum since the Hotwheels leak happened. That being said, it would have been great to see a little more creativity and guts in their promotion. Social Media has rapidly become the largest opportunity in advertising if done correctly. All in all, I am extremely excited to see the final product on the 4th. The time is almost here!

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.I think exhaust note is something they're trying to keep under wraps until the unveil.
2.I don't think SRT has the time for that... the 4th is only the day after tomorrow afterall.
3.I don't think the VCA members want to share their exclusive party with a bunch of bowties.
4.Teasers are meant to intrigue, not confuse.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but Dodge has no clue how to tease such an exciting car. Obscure photo teasers? I mean, that's so 2002. With so many more interesting and compelling ways to tease a car, why are they even bothering with this lame facebook photo reveal campaign. I work in marketing for a living and it just kills me when brands can't think creatively at all, especially when the thing being marketed has such a passionate following. Here are some ideas I would have done if I were Dodge:

1. Release an audio track of the car accelerating
2. Video of a 2010 ACR trying to chase down the new car at a secret track. Blur out the rear end, but just seeing how the new car moves and pulls away would be amazing.
3. Do something that jabs at the ZR1 - I would have invited every ZR1 owner to the gala this week and make that invite a piece of content
4. Release the WRONG images. - This is probably the best and most amazing thing a car company could ever do. I would totally have released images of a car that was viper-like but a little underwhelming. Create hysteria amongst the die hards. Then pull back the curtain and reveal something 10x better.

Too many marketing campaigns play it safe. Too many campaigns don't create an interesting narrative that has ups and downs, tension and resolution. This campaign has been crap. Don't even get me started on how much of a mistake it was to not have Clint Eastwood end his historic super bowl ad with the reveal of the Viper. If there is one car that symbolizes american muscle and determination it's the viper.

None of the above will sell one more car than would be sold anyway, but it will give wannabes like you something to talk about on You-Tube.
Your Civic awaits!

phavyarden

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree, a campaing like that would have been aweosme!
I think that the 1st and the interior teasers are fine for a beggining ( the interior wasn't). But then they should make something more interesting.

Last edited:

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
please explain why :eater:

Well if Dodge went out to try and jab the ZR1 crowd then to me that would lead everyone to believe that the ZR1 was better than the current 2010 Viper and thus it is worth going after.... which I don't think it is. Why would you go attacking a car you already beat in your current form? Now I say this with exception... a good marketing campaign could say "2013 SRT Viper... STILL better than the ZR1, why change?"

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was kinda expecting more, kinda on the lines of what you describe....like a reporting of an 'unknown' object on a country road, and helicopters rushing to the scene, reporting unbelievable speeds or something!

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like it or not, the way they have marketed the new Viper has many here wanting more and more. I have been looking on this site more the past two months than I have in years based on the anticipation of the new Gen V. I like that they posted teaser pics not really showing a whole lot and having everyone guessing/making positive/negative comments and then finally on Wednesday showing the full production car that will have everybody talking (hopefully all good).

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bet the OP is an SRT guy. all 11 posts of his are poking and stirring the crap here either way its good advertising....lol

if not, please go away

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if Dodge went out to try and jab the ZR1 crowd then to me that would lead everyone to believe that the ZR1 was better than the current 2010 Viper and thus it is worth going after.... which I don't think it is. Why would you go attacking a car you already beat in your current form? Now I say this with exception... a good marketing campaign could say "2013 SRT Viper... STILL better than the ZR1, why change?"

better answer than i was expecting, thanks

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I have said before, with quite a lot of people agreeing, Chyrsler has never been real good at advertising. They did do well with the K-car and the minivan, but not real good with other things. I did like the Clint Eastwood ad though. Well, it will be over in a couple days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang