Would an ACR vert appeal to you?

Jersey Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a dream but "what if"? Would you jump on it or stick with the traditional hardtop? Does it defeat the purpose, a track designed car with touring inspired feature.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is so much drag with the aero right now, I don't think it would be fast enough to appeal to me. Now if the fantasy car is just as fast and has roll bars, I would say that I would have to think about it. Not so much for cruising, but bc it gets so damn hot in these cars. The fresh air would be nice.

OP
OP
Jersey Jeff

Jersey Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am thinking more for cruising and showing and not as much for tracking. Was curious about the feedback from others that have one, i have never seen or driving (obviously) in one. I appreciate your feedback.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hmmmm..................not sure drag would even be an issue addressed as the ACR wing and splitter's function of sucking the beast to the pavement is it's main purpose ( a bit of drag is a minimal concern with cornering capabilities ).

Interesting dream concept??

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope! The wingy thingy is pure rice and bling! Yah, yah, I know it does the job on the track and am thankful for the track, but off the track, it just looks tacky and like every other kiddy rocket. On a vert' it would just not look right at all. Might look like a shopping cart.

I sure hope new GEN V spends a good deal of time in the wind tunnel to compensate design for not having to tack on a big wing and flippers all over. A well executed aero design from the start would eliminate a lot of that. Just saying!

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think an ACR vert would be kind of a joke. The whole reason for an ACR is to have something that can be tracked with minimal modifications. Most tracks won't let a vert onto them - so what's the point? Sure, most people don't buy an ACR to track it anyway, but something that CAN'T be tracked is a pure poser car and I think that dilutes the whole appeal and heritage of an ACR.

As far as aerodynamics goes, when you take the top off of the car, your Cd goes from around .38 to .50 in a hurry. That's significant.

I don't know the exact Cd numbers for the Gen II vs. Gen III/IV, but I seem to remember them going from a relatively clean .32 for the GTS to a 'less clean' .38 for the Gen IV coupe, and a brick-like .42 for the ACR. I'd like to see the Gen V do at least as well as the Gen II (in basic coupe form). All the wings and things add a lot of parasitic and induced drag, so we can't ever hope to get an ACR down to the .32 level, but let's at least start out with a basic design that's a lot cleaner.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Though it would not appeal to everyone, I know that the Aero Group Convertibles , when we had them in the warehouse, drew rave reviews from numerous MoPar groups, Viper owners, etc. when we did tours. The guys/gals that have them can't hardly drive the cars without folks asking about them, so the reality would like be much the same for this dream car, if it was ever made. Not sure about the blanket statement that one can not drive convertibles on the track, as this may be true in some instances, but I know of a couple of groups and numerous tracks that have Miatas, S2000s, Boxsters, Vette and 911 verts, Vipers, etc. running on track days.

Heck , I ran a Miata for two years without a top on various tracks, without an issue.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think an ACR vert would be kind of a joke. The whole reason for an ACR is to have something that can be tracked with minimal modifications. Most tracks won't let a vert onto them - so what's the point? Sure, most people don't buy an ACR to track it anyway, but something that CAN'T be tracked is a pure poser car and I think that dilutes the whole appeal and heritage of an ACR.

As far as aerodynamics goes, when you take the top off of the car, your Cd goes from around .38 to .50 in a hurry. That's significant.

I don't know the exact Cd numbers for the Gen II vs. Gen III/IV, but I seem to remember them going from a relatively clean .32 for the GTS to a 'less clean' .38 for the Gen IV coupe, and a brick-like .42 for the ACR. I'd like to see the Gen V do at least as well as the Gen II (in basic coupe form). All the wings and things add a lot of parasitic and induced drag, so we can't ever hope to get an ACR down to the .32 level, but let's at least start out with a basic design that's a lot cleaner.

"Ultimate Poser" it could be called. A race car that can't race because the hardtop is gone. "Ricer" Maybe?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Though it would not appeal to everyone, I know that the Aero Group Convertibles , when we had them in the warehouse, drew rave reviews from numerous MoPar groups, Viper owners, etc. when we did tours. The guys/gals that have them can't hardly drive the cars without folks asking about them, so the reality would like be much the same for this dream car, if it was ever made. Not sure about the blanket statement that one can not drive convertibles on the track, as this may be true in some instances, but I know of a couple of groups and numerous tracks that have Miatas, S2000s, Boxsters, Vette and 911 verts, Vipers, etc. running on track days.

Heck , I ran a Miata for two years without a top on various tracks, without an issue.

I'm sure it would appeal to some people, and I do agree that the Aero verts look good. But to call it an ACR would be a mistake in my opinion. I've been to track days where verts are all over the place, but it's not the same kind of 'competitive' race that an ACR was built for. Granted, I haven't tracked in a 'few' years, so things may have changed, but I remember there being all kinds of safety issues that kept the verts off of the track when the 'big boys' started bumping each other around. Again, I don't know first-hand if this is true or not, but I'm suspecting that a race that required a 'minimally' set up ACR (harness and helmet) would not allow a similar 'minimally' set up vert. That alone would make it an ACP (American Club Poser) rather than an ACR.

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The same person that said ok to the 2010 stripes is probably in charge of it....I bet we end up seeing some produced for 2010 as a last hoorah car...My bet is that a BIG dealer has ordered some....Tomball is getting black ACRs with SSG stripes...Kevin

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gotta agree Martin, that if things get to bumping around one would likely be putting a rollbar in one. Considering all the folks that have installed Autoform rollbars, this is seen as another option by many. I guess I view convertibles a bit differently , as over the years racing in SCCA , there are an awful lot of them on the track, and if one is of a very serious bent, a bar would be smart ---- but then it would be in a Coupe too.

Bumping to me , means one should probably be buying one of the bad asp ACR-Xs, but having run at 160 plus at Road America without the above mentioned items, it was one of the reasons I made sure my super serious track cars had cages or a rollbar , regardless of configuration.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With any vehicle, especially a small nitch one like the Viper you are going to have different tastes on what folks want. An ACR Vert would not be much different that an Aero car and if the numbers were low Vert lovers and collectors will buy one.

Bruce

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way that it would appeal is if there was a significant weight savings (think boxster spyder) over the coupe.

Nick

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, it would not appeal to me at all, I sold my vert for the ACR, I did not feel safe in the Vert at higher speeds and didn't want to modify the vert to make it safe. Even if it came "safe" from the factory, a vert ACR does not make sense to me.

OP
OP
Jersey Jeff

Jersey Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting assortment of opinions. Where can I find an image of this Aero Group convertible? Can anyone post a pic? For me, I like the feel of a convertible (my vert is my first ever) in comparison to the ZO6 and Vette coupe I also have now.

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't understand the vert hate here. Some folks like to see the sky, I know my wife does. She was some kind of upset when she discovered the lack of rollover protection in the car so added the Autoform rollbar. We both track at TWS and have no problems. She just runs with the top up when there. Guess technically she has better roll over protection than my coupe. Don't see too many of us doing more than DE's and if the downforce helps secure the car and the look isn't offputting to the owner more power to them.

Richard

Richard

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Finn bought an aero vert. Although it looks good he said that the rear spoiler is positioned so that the rear view mirror is useless. I thought it looked weird with the top down and a large wing on the trunk, but ...
others could find that even more appealing.

You must be registered for see images

ACR it's not. Very subtle and it doesn't stand out beside a Gen 3. The aero-spoiler is much lower and there is no 'clip-on' for the front splitter, just the base.

Danno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did my first high speed run in the ACR last night (rolled 1000 miles) and I could definately feel the aero at about 140, acceleration started to slow up. I think my GTS was quicker from about 130 up. Which makes sense without the Aero and with the stock 17 inch wheels, headers and exhaust. I'm not complaining mind you but certainly glad to have a roof over my head!:2tu:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't understand the vert hate here. Some folks like to see the sky, I know my wife does. She was some kind of upset when she discovered the lack of rollover protection in the car so added the Autoform rollbar. We both track at TWS and have no problems. She just runs with the top up when there. Guess technically she has better roll over protection than my coupe. Don't see too many of us doing more than DE's and if the downforce helps secure the car and the look isn't offputting to the owner more power to them.

Richard

Richard

I don't think it is vert hate at all - I just think it's a matter of what a purpose-built car should be (in everyone's own opinion of course). If someone came to me and asked what I thought about their idea to make a screwdriver-hammer, I'd tell them that those are two totally different tools and I don't see a whole lot of overlap between them. I certainly don't hate screwdrivers or hammers - but I wouldn't want to use one to solve a problem best suited for the other. An ACR is a great tool for high-speed racing where maximum downforce and braking ability is important. A vert is great for open-air driving, having fun, and the occasional track day (where permitted).

Then, there's the issue of the vert just not being well suited to the aerodynamic add-ons of an ACR. If you look at a vert in a wind tunnel, you'd see that once the air passes the windshield, it goes completely turbulent. By the time it hits an ACR-positioned wing in the back, the flow is unsteady and rotational, and it's just buffetting it from the top and bottom, and that can actually be unsettling to the car's aerodynamic stability (could be generating lift one moment and then downforce the next - not good). The coupe, on the other hand, is pretty close to laminar flow when the air hits the wing, so it is generating downforce all the time. Take a look at where they place the wing on the verts - it's positioned REALLY low. That's to try and keep it out of the turbulent airflow - but it also minimizes any real effect it has on aerodynamics. In other words, it's just for looks.

If they were to offer a "performance package" vert, I'd really be interested in that. For example, the same brake package as the ACR, along with a factory rollbar. That would be cool.

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being most all the verts I see at the track run with their roofs up it would be interesting to see how much difference there is between a solid roof and the convertable roof. Of course you could add a solid snap on roof and I would think you would be so close to the coupe roof it wouldn't matter that much.

Richard

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a few of us that are tall enough that the Gen 3/4 coupes are NOT an option.
Since there is only ONE ACR vert (gen 2) it would be nice to have one gen 4 vert ACR.
PBR

TrapperJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't buy my '09 Aero Vert. for the track,even though I might try it some day at a "Gentleman's event". My Miata and Mini were weekend track cars. When I bought it it was parked between the previous owner's 360 Modena and Gallardo. I could afford either of the other two, but fell in love with his Viper. In fact my first word was "wow' when I saw it. Didn't even look at the other cars. If I'm a poseur, thats ok. This posuer has a huge grin whenever he drives his car.
On a serious note. The wing does obstruct rear view mirror vision. In a previous post I asked if anyone made spacers to raise the wing. The answer was no. I'm considering a rear view camera.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most tracks don't have problems with verts as long as they have proper rollover protection. The factory should offer this at least as an option, maybe even as standard. Probably would save a bunch of lives on the street given how many folks wreck/roll their Vipers.

I for one would consider a vert ACR as long as it came with a rollbar.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got an email from Pemberton at Woodhouse. Woodhouse IS building 20 ACR Vert's. Not a big fan of the looks on their website, but then again, I am a coupe kinda guy.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I did put a ACR splitter, Stoptech rotors, and KW shocks in my Vert. I also installed the Autoform wing and rollbar. I did not want the rice look of a large wing on a vert. The combo looks very good and I will be posting pics soon. I have had it up to about 130 so far and very solid feeling. I have only put a couple hundred miles on the car so I will report on higher speeds soon.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, this special, factory built/tested ACR version LOOKS GREAT both to My Wife and to me...especially after we found out that the "gold-appearing" color was really RACR YELLOW...the fastest color !! :)

Admittedly, I personally am not a big fan of convertible driving...BUT, I would certainly make an exception in this case...might even lower the top!! The wing really blends well in my opinion...somewhere between the "aero" wing an standard "ACR" wing...a decision and design dictated by the wind tunnel I'm sure.

CONGRATS to the Woodhouse Team for this concept...a car that will be both exceedingly rare and fun to drive !!!

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got an email from Pemberton at Woodhouse. Woodhouse IS building 20 ACR Vert's. Not a big fan of the looks on their website, but then again, I am a coupe kinda guy.

Can you post a link to this? I went to web site and didn't see anything on an ACR vert.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang