Would you buy a Viper with a V8 HEMI?

OP
OP
R

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what if you had a supercharged V8 that gave the Viper better performance numbers than the V10? Mainly because of the weight savings and higher revs.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V8 - What for? To have a lower priced version?

Jeep is currently diluting their brand from capable, tough trucks to mall assault vehicles just like GM did with the Hummer H2 and H3. Will they dilute the Viper with a V8 version? Maybe. Then a V6 followed by an inline 4 (that makes class leading power!!! woohoo). This will boost sales and increase profits, but it will become meaningless to own a Viper.

It happened to me with the Hummer brand. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked "You have a Hummer? One of the new ones?" I reply "No, I own a REAL one."

If Dodge makes a Viper with less than a V-10 when you tell someone that you have a Viper they'll assume you have the less expensive, high volume version, just like their Aunt Maggie has.

Personally I don't care what others think but I don't want to be cubby holed with something I don't like. I'm the type of person that has a V-10 Viper - not the V8 kinda guy. And really, if I wanted a Vette, I would've bought a Vette.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,

When I'm filthy rich, I'll buy a mid 90's Jaguar XJS with a V12 and make the ultimate sleeper....twin turbo's, water to air intercooler, etc. It would be an interesting project....whaddya think?

Regards,
Aaron

If there is anything to slap on that V12. Heck, there is not anything to slap on the XKR. Maybe a different pulley for what.....20 hp? There are really no mods for Jags out there. None. Ever see an E-type heavily moded? Nope.

Would love to see that Viper V12, however. Not like the dinky displacement Jag. How about 10 L of Viper V12? Lambos stand back. Dodge does it right. TURN THE ENGINEERS LOOSE! Everyone on this board should be saying.....big displacement...V12? Where do I sign?

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have heard from some Viper Service techs is that the new 08 motor is just that. I don't know if thats true but I have been told that. Any input??

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big bore motors should have more cylinders for better efficiency and lower inertia of the pistons. V10's have an inherent advantage over V8's in that regard, less piston weight inertia and more torque, better flame travel, etc.
There is no such thing as a NY Yankee w/ long hair and visible tatoos, no such thing as an honest politician, and no such thing as a V8 Viper....never has been, never will be (thank goodness!).

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love the idea of a 526 ci V8 Hemi in the Viper, if it pumped out 700hp or more. I am obviously in the minority on this issue. What is it about the V10 that you guys love so much? I'm not saying it is a bad engine but I am surprised that so many Viper owners would be pissed if the Viper did not have a V10. What is it that you prefer on the V10 over a V8?

OK, I just read blackmamba's post about the V10 being superior to a V8. If this is true, then the Viper should remain a V10.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, if it had more performance (power to weight ratio) than one with a V10.

The central advantage of a naturally aspirated V-10 over a V8 of the same displacement is it two extra intake valves against its disadvantages or higher weight and increased internal friction. A large displacement V8 with 4 valves per cylinder could easily provide greater power with a meatier power band than the 20 valve V-10. OHC or DOHC engines are taller and don't allow for sleek low hood and are heavier per CID, so it's not clear that they would make a better Viper.

That said, I would not consider an engine that required high dollar periodic scheduled maintenance. I love that the Viper's performance requires virtually only fluid changes!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang