Would you cut your losses or fix the car?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew something about tires that you did not. Blind as a dingbat. You couldn't see a turtle in the road?

Yes, I give in. You know how to measure tires with a stick like a hillbilly would. And, as I actually own and drive a Viper, when in traffic doing hiway speeds, it's not a good idea to take out a semi truck by swerving to another lane when you see your dinner in the road.

Any updates on my sammich?

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I give in. You know how to measure tires with a stick like a hillbilly would. And, as I actually own and drive a Viper, when in traffic doing hiway speeds, it's not a good idea to take out a semi truck by swerving to another lane when you see your dinner in the road.

Any updates on my sammich?
No, I learned it from a wheel manufacturer and a tire distributor. Just happen to have a neighbor with the same size/ series tire but he has the Nittos. So we confirmed it buy comparing the tires side by side and then measured with them laying flat on the ground. Very noticeable to the eye but probably not too you since you are probably eye sight deficient. And I own a Viper as well and you know you have to give a vin # to post on here so........:moon::pbt:

V

VCA Forum Staff

Holy hijacked threads Batman.... Please, let's keep this thread on topic per the OP's issue. Hijacking threads is a posting policy violation. Sybil, please tone down your blonde ambition a couple of notches and avoid side tracking these threads. Thanks.

VCA Forum Staff

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well looks like a lot of the community is right and I appreciate the feedback. I have been in communication with Arrow as I am also in Michigan. The car will need to be stored elsewhere and the engine pulled which is going to be about 1k (pulled and resinstalled) which I think is very fair. However the rebuild is around 8-12K. Custom parts can be used in place of Mopar which can save some money and boost the performance. As it stands now, at the low end, 9K for a rebuild is looking to be hard to justify. May just have to throw this up on ebay as a vehicle for someone who wants to build a custom TT or whatnot. I figure 25k is likely reasonable even if I have to wait a bit for that right buyer who wants a clean car but different engine. 10K to fix the car puts me right about market value for a 2000 ACR which is about 35K. While I could continue to enjoy the vehicle, that's a huge unexpected expense right now. Damn:/

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi
I am a viper owner and have been a mechanic for 15 years. I have a hoist and would be willing to help you out weather it is with a heli coil or other insert. I live in a small town near Lansing.. If you want to flatbed the car over you and I could probably get it fixed for minimal cost..
Thanks J
I tried to PM this but your inbox is full.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi
I am a viper owner and have been a mechanic for 15 years. I have a hoist and would be willing to help you out weather it is with a heli coil or other insert. I live in a small town near Lansing.. If you want to flatbed the car over you and I could probably get it fixed for minimal cost..
Thanks J
I tried to PM this but your inbox is full.
At last, someone with some common sense. Imagine, trying to fix it before just giving up on it, what a novel idea!!!! Hopefully the poster will come to his senses and try the cheap approach that I am willing to bet will work out just fine.
You’re a good man with some brains jmch!!!!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well looks like a lot of the community is right and I appreciate the feedback. I have been in communication with Arrow as I am also in Michigan. The car will need to be stored elsewhere and the engine pulled which is going to be about 1k (pulled and resinstalled) which I think is very fair. However the rebuild is around 8-12K. Custom parts can be used in place of Mopar which can save some money and boost the performance. As it stands now, at the low end, 9K for a rebuild is looking to be hard to justify. May just have to throw this up on ebay as a vehicle for someone who wants to build a custom TT or whatnot. I figure 25k is likely reasonable even if I have to wait a bit for that right buyer who wants a clean car but different engine. 10K to fix the car puts me right about market value for a 2000 ACR which is about 35K. While I could continue to enjoy the vehicle, that's a huge unexpected expense right now. Damn:/

If you are looking for a bone stock rebuild, and there is no other damage beyond the crank, we can absolutely beat their price by a couple thousand bucks. A standard rebuild here is roughly $3000-4000 [depending on extent] plus parts & machining, which would be minimal on a stock build. We can also offer custom parts from as mild to wild as you can imagine. We are engine component designers and builders, not just builders, and have no allegiances to manufacturers- we use what is properly engineered. There may be other options in your case as well, but I could not tell you until I see it. Some options may include an ATI Damper with a custom hub to increase press if needed, weld/grind, jump size in bolt threads, key options, etc. It all depends how badly the snout is damaged when weighed against crank price.

Most of our engine customers come to us after others build them engines that fail over and over again. An engine is not just a sum total of its parts, and there is not an engine that leaves here which wasn't inspected completely or entirely built by me, myself. This ensures that there are NO slip-ups here.

These are just a few of our creations: http://viperspecialtyperformance.com/Gallery.asp

Last edited: