Would you cut your losses or fix the car?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh that's right, you removed the Dodge and the Mobile 1 decals. My bad.

Mobile 1? What is that?

Also, claiming knowledge of what I do / have done to my car, without actually knowing what that is, results in errors.

Let's do some quizzing...

What were the Mobil 1 decals on?

Answer here -> __________

Does Dave's car have a front splitter on it now?

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mobile 1? What is that?

Also, claiming knowledge of what I do / have done to my car, without actually knowing what that is, results in errors.

Let's do some quizzing...

What were the Mobil 1 decals on?

Does Dave's car have a front splitter on it now?

Umm, they were your pics posted on here somewhere. Oh, wheels for silver/blue gts thread. Is that not you car? Mobil one decal on your one off splitter and Dodge decal on the drivers side also?

You are so full of ****.

Last edited:

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the car in the Wheels for Silver/Blue GTS thread is not yours? Yeah right!

gnatcape

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the same identical thing happen to my 2004 Viper. Brought it to Chuck Tator and for $1000 he fixed it. I highly recommend him. On a scale of 1-10 he is a million. Excellent technician and very fair and reasonable. He has seen this issue on several occations and knows what he is doing. Bring it to him. Bud Noyes

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same identical thing happen to my 2004 Viper. Brought it to Chuck Tator and for $1000 he fixed it. I highly recommend him. On a scale of 1-10 he is a million. Excellent technician and very fair and reasonable. He has seen this issue on several occations and knows what he is doing. Bring it to him. Bud Noyes
Did you have stripped threads? What exactly did he do? did he replace crank? Do tell. bore us with details

Caesar!

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just placed my order for the crank pin kit from ROE racing. Reading this thread about what can happen made me grab the phone and get that kit right away and I'll install it this spring. For the install what would need to be removed air box etc? So this affects all generations 1 & 2 or does it affect Gen 3 also? Anyone know of reputable Viper shops/mechanics here in Toronto Canada. (It doesn't snow here too much anymore) LOL

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Caesar. I was going to just torque mine down again, but that kit looks like a good solution ^^^ ---

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, please elaborate on how he fixed yours for the op's benefit and a few others.

ultradriver10000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What the hell is tight storage? Is it a ****** garage?

Pinning the crank is really an easy task if you've ever used your hands for actual work. Any garage can do it if you're worried about ruining your manicure.

Hopefully you can use something to re-thread the crank. I'd start with something like the one linked above or even a Heli-Coil.

Take something like this...
You must be registered for see images attach

make this

Hell you can hardly have someone rebuilt an LS1 for $6K yet along a Viper engine. I'd expect to pay ~15K for something of higher quality.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the hell is tight storage? Is it a ****** garage?

Pinning the crank is really an easy task if you've ever used your hands for actual work. Any garage can do it if you're worried about ruining your manicure.

Hopefully you can use something to re-thread the crank. I'd start with something like the one linked above or even a Heli-Coil.

Take something like this...

make this

Hell you can hardly have someone rebuilt an LS1 for $6K yet along a Viper engine. I'd expect to pay ~15K for something of higher quality.
So I am assuming this is yours done??? If so, what did you remove to do it (assuming the engines still in the car) and did you use a 90 deg drill?

PS, You should have your head examined if you don't try this fix before spending 12 - 15k

Last edited:

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pinning will not fix a spun and galled hub. It will help prevent one that hasn't spun from spinning and becoming unfixable.
Dave, I look at it as no longer a press fit but a fit much like my 69 Vette which is a slide on Keyed balancer (2 keyed in this case). Worth a try in my opinion. Worst case, if it fails, throw a used Motor in it or crank it.

But, that's me, I don't have 12 g's to throw around, I have a kid going into Berklee and another kid right behind... I can think of 12000 other ways to spend the money.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL yeah single guy versus married with children. Loctite does make some shaft sleeve retaining type compounds for helping bond slip fit (as opposed to press fit) hubs on a shaft. So if you've spun it but not galled it pinning and the Loctite might be the married man's fix.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahaha... I like how you put it, its an accurate statement... The way I figure it, I would rather try $100 dollar fix before a $12,000 dollar fix..

Don't laugh at him, he is not funny.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't laugh at him, he is not funny.
I’m sorry Sybil… Can’t help it.. But you must remember, this is a feud between the two of you (an unfortunate thing and I wish for the 2 of you it would be resolved) and not mine.. Think of me as Switzerland!

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m sorry Sybil… Can’t help it.. But you must remember, this is a feud between the two of you (an unfortunate thing and I wish for the 2 of you it would be resolved) and not mine.. Think of me as Switzerland!

Switzerland is full of a bunch of pansies. Choose a more manly example.:kabong:

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed !!! I thought that this forum was for the grown ups. Especially in these threads that are actually oriented to technical talk !

Not when you have a Dingbat6666 flying around! Not me. Well, sometimes to keep from falling asleep but mostly not.:D