Would you cut your losses or fix the car?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a serious note, Do we have any close up pics of just how bad the end of the crankshaft is and a pic of the damaged bolt?

Had anyone done a How to Guide on the Pinning process?

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a serious note, Do we have any close up pics of just how bad the end of the crankshaft is and a pic of the damaged bolt?

Had anyone done a How to Guide on the Pinning process?

I have not seen a write up but if you go to Roe’s site and look at the tool they sell, there are some Pics… When winter is over up here, I’m going to pull my car off the lift and check it with a torque wrench then repaint my marks on the bolt / balancer.

I thought I read somewhere a while ago that the bolt on some of the balancers “may not” have been tightened to torque specs and that’s the reason for some failures.

And no, we have not seen the damage to the OP's crank! Would like to though.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not seen a write up but if you go to Roe’s site and look at the tool they sell, there are some Pics… When winter is over up here, I’m going to pull my car off the lift and check it with a torque wrench then repaint my marks on the bolt / balancer.

I thought I read somewhere a while ago that the bolt on some of the balancers “may not” have been tightened to torque specs and that’s the reason for some failures.

And no, we have not seen the damage to the OP's crank! Would like to though.

Yes the pics make it look easy. Yeah right. Had my bolt checked today ,not loose and good to go. I don't have any pink marks on the pulley bolts so I guess they washed off. It has a white mark across the top of the bolt though.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the pics make it look easy. Yeah right. Had my bolt checked today ,not loose and good to go. I don't have any pink marks on the pulley bolts so I guess they washed off. It has a white mark across the top of the bolt though.
If I were you, I would put a paint mark on the bolt and a corresponding mark on the balancer that way you can see if the bolt / balancer rotates and the marks become misaligned. Check it every once in a while...

Stitch in time saves nine.. Just added security...

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To get back to the thread, and I do appreciate the advice..and some of the banter: Would going with RSI for a custom shortblock rebuild be unwise? It would forge my engine and get everything perfect, slightly boost the performance and give me a two year warranty. I figure the car stands 25K (buyer backed out at 27k) as is. I could invest in 6K and have it rebuilt with forged pistons and custom crank, camshaft, new race main bearings, rod bearings, ARP head and main studs, etc. It would put the car back at 35k easily. So investing 6k to increase the value 11k seems worth it. RSI seems to have a good rep around here. Are there advantages of going with Arrow where I am located outside of saving 1500 in shipping? Are there advantages of going with RSI outside of a 2 year warranty? Thanks.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have patience? RSI is a busy shop and I would not send my car across the country and play the long waiting game without having an already built motor ready to go at his shop...I take it Arrow will only deal with the motor and not the whole car? Maybe a local Viper tech could pull the motor and have it sent to Arrow. I don't think Arrow will be $6k though. Good luck and keep us updated.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get back to the thread, and I do appreciate the advice..and some of the banter: Would going with RSI for a custom shortblock rebuild be unwise? It would forge my engine and get everything perfect, slightly boost the performance and give me a two year warranty. I figure the car stands 25K (buyer backed out at 27k) as is. I could invest in 6K and have it rebuilt with forged pistons and custom crank, camshaft, new race main bearings, rod bearings, ARP head and main studs, etc. It would put the car back at 35k easily. So investing 6k to increase the value 11k seems worth it. RSI seems to have a good rep around here. Are there advantages of going with Arrow where I am located outside of saving 1500 in shipping? Are there advantages of going with RSI outside of a 2 year warranty? Thanks.
Can we see some pics? Could help us and you out with the problem!!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
no chance you are getting it done for just 6k

This. I have a hard enough time with the short block parts alone at that price, let alone an assembled in the short block, let alone an assembled long block, let alone assembled and installed in the car, let alone assembled in the car with tuning.

That is cheaper than your average daily driver. No offense meant, but the day I would do that job for that price is the day I win the lottery and decide to go out of business. You are talking about 4-5K on the barest bones cheapest parts you can get your hands on, machine work, and 30-40 hours of labor minimum. Not going to happen.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess maybe the dealership was correct then with their quote of 12k then? I unfortunately don't have pics as the car is tightly stored with family as I am now back to an apartment. Oh well I guess I will have it sit until I can sufficiently repair it the right way. Thanks for all the help/insight. Fortunately I don't have debt from the divorce and got a decent federal job that will get me back on my feet more quickly. Just wanted to reconnect with my ageless beauty...my viper:)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I guess maybe the dealership was correct then with their quote of 12k then? I unfortunately don't have pics as the car is tightly stored with family as I am now back to an apartment. Oh well I guess I will have it sit until I can sufficiently repair it the right way. Thanks for all the help/insight. Fortunately I don't have debt from the divorce and got a decent federal job that will get me back on my feet more quickly. Just wanted to reconnect with my ageless beauty...my viper:)

12K for a stock rebuild, new crank, engine in and out, fluids, service, etc is certainly in the realm of expected at a dealer.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put paint marks on everything Tommy. It will look kuul.
No, my name is not Dave. I don't need decals either. I will say that the the front splitter and the stripes look good.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi