Would you let a 16 year old drive your viper?

Bernard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to teach my 16 year old how to drive "stick". The 71 bug required too much finesse, so we used the Viper. We followed that with level 1 at Bragg-Smith and he really improved. In short, my kid yes, any other probably no.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my first (and only) viper at 19 and it was my very first car (but in no way did I learn on it)but 16 I don't think I would.

OP
OP
E

Epro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that you need to look at the situation. A sixteen year old who needs a viper to pick up chicks has some issues... Sixteen yr old girls aren't that shallow... at least not as shallow as 30..40..50 year old girls! And any girl that you picked up probably wouldn't be worth your time.

If you really just want to drive the car that's understandable.

Umm, I don't need it to pick up chicks. It'd be a lot easier, and the payoff would be good.

VIPER52USA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my first (and only) viper at 19 and it was my very first car (but in no way did I learn on it)but 16 I don't think I would.

How are you able to afford it at a young age?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My son learned to drive a stick on my GTS at age 15. Wife took him out and taught him (snuck him out without me figuring it out in time). So he just turned 17 and I tossed him the keys to our brand-new SRT at VOI - for the autocross. He drove it with his 13 year old brother riding shotgun...

You must be registered for see images

He beat my times on his very first run (he doesn't drive with the image of his banker on one shoulder and his insurance agent on the other). I then let him take it on the big track and road course with a Skip Barber instructor:

You must be registered for see images

Would I hand the keys to a young driver I didn't know? Nope. Sure, I have insurance and trust people implicitly, however I don't want somebody to hurt themselves and/or have to live with the guilt of a wreck. It would probably bother them more than it would me. Would I hand the keys to my 38 year old brother? Not a chance. HE has a serious wild side and even put the GTS sideways - with me riding shotgun. I prefer to know my risks up front...

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree and disagree with a lot of replies here.... It really depends on the situation. Being in the family, supervised and having seat time are at the top of the list. Grant it, there's some 35 year old friends I'd never let drive mine.... AND IT'S A RENTAL..... :)

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why wasn't I born rich....

I feel ya :( But hey, you can always find owners here on the board that live in your area to team up for something ;) Or e-mail the president of the region you're living in and ask him if he would like to send your e-mail around to the members.
I had to miss a meeting in the area where my aunt lives when my parents and I were visiting her this summer, and the region president sent my problem around to the region members. One replied, and the rest is hisssssssssstory (had a ride in one Paxton supercharged GTS and a stock SRT-10 both owned by the same guy) :p

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my son was 14 or 15 I let him drive my GTS on the track - it was his first time driving a standard transmission and he did great. Keep in mind I was in the passenger seat and he never went over about 40 mph.
It was a great experience for him BUT he will NEVER get to take it out alone!

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why wasn't I born rich....

I guess some on this board were born rich but I think most worked for their $$ and/or had some good luck along the way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc