Would you trade your Viper for a Ford GT?

OP
OP
F

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those FGT prices sure are dropping, with many more cars being built than sold. I wonder how much longer ANY dealer will hold out for big bucks. I've got to think many will be offered @ MSRP very soon.

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot believe how many people would dump their Vipers! Wow. I would not get rid of mine. $55,000 plus $10,000 and be SO much faster than the GT. Save close! And look better any day of the week!

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THE DOOR PANEL FELL OFF!!

Well I was not going to sell either one of my Vipers to buy the GT. However, I was going to purchase one. I made an appointment drove 4 hours to the dealer for the test drive. We opened the passenger door and THE DOOR PANEL FELL OFF! To say the least I was not impressed. The metal on the door panel is held on with double stick tape! The monsoon speaker in between the seats sticks out so wide you elbows and shoulders run into it. If you are tall or have a long torso you will never be able to track the car. there is no head room. I would have to have the "Gurny Bubble" installed. Further, you will never be able to use it as a daily driver. You cannot park it next to another car. Because the roof panel over head opens with the door, one would need to open the door completely in order to get in and out. As for the price go to www.fordgtprices.com these guys have the market figured out on these cars. Edmunds believes that you will loose $84,000 in depreciation in the first year. Dealer invoice is around $110,000. That is a good number for the car;)

VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to drive a Ford GT on the track not too long ago. Wasn't my car so I certainly didn't take it at or near the limit - but here is my take.

Comparing SRT10 to FordGT on the track:

Brakes = Both are very good. The SRT back end wiggles under hard braking without aftermarket suspension mods.
Handling = Ford GT gets the nod. Much easier to go faster. Mid Engine wins every time in this catagory.
Acceleration = SRT10 wins. Gotta love the torque. The Ford was a little underwhelming.

The Ford is downright small inside. I had to slouch and tilt my head sideways to fit.

All in all, I gotta say the SRT10 is more fun but takes more finese. Maybe that's why I prefer it.

Would I chose the Ford GT or the SRT10?

Two SRT10's, one Copperhead convertible with twin turbo's and HRE's for the street and one Red/white strip coupe with quaffe and motons for the track.

If my choice was to have only one car - Competition Coupe. Period.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend who drove one and was not impressed with the acceleration over his SRT-10.
How can this be,when this car traps at 125mph,and the SRT-10 round 120.I'd say the GT feels faster cause it is.For the cash diff i'll stick with my 460RW R/T.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you'll see the prices keep coming down on the FGT. With more articles coming out on people actually driving them and theirs likes and dislikes.
People can say a Viper is just a Dodge. But I’d love to see a customer satisfaction analysis on the Vipers. These cars are well built and run like a champ day after day with no problems. I don’t think you'll be able to say take about a 3-4 yr. old FGT. IMO

Also when your talking $150K there so many other cars you can through into the mix. I don’t the Ford GT would make my top 5 lists.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What other new car fits the 'rather have' list at $150K?

I can't think of one.

Now if you're talking used cars....

Lambo Murci
Lambo Diablo
Lambo Gallardo
Ferrari 360 Spyder
Autokraft 427

Reaction score
We had a good look at the GT during our tour of the Saleen plant. They do look nice, but I (6'3" #220)could not fit in the drivers seat. The GT is for collectors and Ford lovers.

Vipers are for performance addicts who want a car to drive to the track for a few hours of track time to enjoy the drivers limitations and the Vipers acceleration and handling. For those who like to styling the GT may be of interets.

My $.02

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What other new car fits the 'rather have' list at $150K?
I can't think of one.
Now if you're talking used cars....
?

Yes I I would have to include include used car.

But new I believe the Austin Martin DB9, Bentley GT aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.....................somebody help me. Of course TT SRT/10 with money back for a double wide:)

I’d rather not but a car new from a dealership or even it’s first year out. So moving on to used cars for around $150K. Ferraris, DB7 Saleen? Maybe. Now I when walk into my garage and see one of those sitting there, I’ll have a smile on my face and the confidence that it shouldn’t loss it’s value to quickly.

I know track performance these aren't apple to apple but $150K would certainly put a hurting on my retirement money and I think I’d want a lot more to show for it than a first year Ford at MSRP.

Granted I’m the wrong person to talk to about Fords. I won’t even take one when I rent a car, Sorry :-(

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't even think about it. Sure the GT is a nice car, but for the difference, my GTS would be on it's way to Heffner for implants plus.
Hell, I think I would go through withdrawals if I didn't have a Viper. Infact I bought my '00 GTS before I sold my '94 RT and if it wasn't for a business opportunity, I'd still have it too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine