Wow, this car is the best ticket magnet!

Dave_F

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my first 16+ years of driving, I'd been pulled over 2 times. One time for the lack of a front license plate and once where I received a speeding ticket in a 4Runner. I've owned a silver SRT since February and have less than 2,000 miles, but I've been pulled over twice. Once in small-town Texas for speeding- somehow I got away with a warning. And again tonight, this time for "getting ready to get on it" and changing lanes without signaling. I got out of this one without a ticket or warning because I was 2 blocks from home in the tiny city where I live (a small city within the city of Houston that has its own police force). I'd understand this better if I had always driven a minivan prior to this car, but here is a list of some of my previous rides where I guess I was just lucky:

2003 H2
2003 MB SL500
2003 MB E500
2002 Lexus SC430
2002 BMW M3 (bright RED)
2002 Honda VTX 1800
2001 Honda S2000 (YELLOW)
2001 Honda 929RR yellow and black
1999 Corvette - pewter
1999 Corvette - black
1999 Honda VFR800 bright red

Anyone have an experience like mine?

Dave

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pulled over, yes. Got away with just a warning not nearly enough. Eventually you will find the "gotta prove a point" type of cop. Met several of them. The worst was a female cop who had a chip the size of Texas on her shoulder. Wrote me up to the max. It was on a deserted road in northern Michigan. Not another car around but she wrote that I endangered other traffic. And to top it off it was July 4th so the automatic double fine (a fine Michigan law) came into play. So for driving a casual 80 on a deserted road netted me a 6 point ticket and $400.

The best "warning" I got was after I had passed a pickup truck at a ridiculously high rate of speed. He had pissed me off by driving slow, below the limit when there was traffic present or no passing zones and speeding up when traffic cleared. I blew by him so fast I think I took the paint off his door. About 5 miles up I came into a small town. Right at the center of town a cop motioned me to the side. Spent 30 minutes checking out my license & registration. Eventually he came up and indicated someone reported that I had been driving overly fast. Apparently the **** in the pickup called on a cell phone. He was probably a local yokel, judge or whatever. But no actual evidence that I was speeding so the cop let me go. After leaving town I encountered quite a few speed traps that were set up just for me. One was a cat and mouse where a mustang came up and tailgated me. I mean real close. So close I could only get an occaisional glimpse that another car (an unmarked cop) was behind him. I stayed in that position, just at the limit for a few miles. Then another car turned in front of me and went 5 miles under the limit. With the Mustang still on my butt obviously goading me into passing. When I came upon a right turn lane I put on my signal, abruptly turned into the turn lane, braked at the maximum and then swung back into the regular lane. Immediately behind the unmarked cop. I followed him for about 5 miles until they had enough and turned off. I did not return to that area for several years. Arseholes!

Anyway I have learned that you really should not have a license plate that puts their ******* in a bind. My plate on the RT/10 is "Dr Speed." Cops obviously do not like that. SCrew em!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had my first speeding ticket in almost 20 years when I still had paper tags on the SRT-10. And honest to God, was not speeding. Couldn't get out of it to save my life either. Never had a problem in three years with the GTS!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't hate all cops, some are OK. It's like any other profession. They're just like CEOs, some are super nice and some are on a power trip and will stab anyone in the back just for a laugh. Remember this too, cops are used to dealing with the lowest of the low on a daily basis. They aren't used to smart people so they often try the 'I'm a badass' routine to scare someone. Power corrupts. It's human nature. If you were a cop, wouldn't you give the guy in the Vette a REALLY hard time??? I would!

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All cops are not the same as said. My first encounter with a Viper was when I entered the e-way on ramp and passed a cop ticketing another motorist. I figured he was busy and stupididly didn't check my rearview mirror enough. I was ticketed for 80 in a 70 but was thankful because I had just run it up to 120 for a few seconds. A volunteer fireman friend later told me of the cop bragging at the donut shop about the Viper he caught. My second encounter was on the same stretch when I was pulled over for 80 and an eratic lane change. As luck would have it my insurance had expired as well. I told him I had other Vipers and probably got the certificates mixed up. He said "must be nice" and let me off all three counts and said "have fun but keep it down, nice ride." I said thank you very much sir.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had 'em follow me for a long way, through several suburbs hoping I didn't notice them so I'd jump on it.

Sometimes they even turn off the radar when following so the Valentine doesn't give them away. I've always seen them and behaved accordingly, but I think I'm fortunate to have never bumped into SuperCop.....those guys don't need a reason!

HiYoSilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my first ticket in 20 years the first week in my SRT-10 (silver). I was on the way to my local Dodge dealer with the ABS light on, the car was only 4 days old. The right rear sensor was replaced and the Viper has been perfect for these last 2000 miles.
A cop on the Clearview EXPY pulled me off for 72 mph in a 50 zone. The were 3 other vehicle around me including a van going alongside going the same speed. The cop would not budge even I work in 3 local hospitals and have taken care of many of his buddies surgically. This cop works in tandem with another on the Clearview and they are mercilous. BEWARE and take the Cross Island Parkway or just coast at 48 mph in your Viper. Bob S

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
traffic cops are a menace to honest hard working commuters.

You know there is a HUGE problem when you are happy to see on the local news that a motorcycle cops get's killed while "keeping the highway safe".

OP
OP
D

Dave_F

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez guys, I think that we've gone too far! I started this thread to simply comment on the attention that the SRT gets from police. I never dreamed that it would go the direction of police bashing, and particularly, I didn't think that anyone could be "happy to see on the local news that a ....." This is not cool! I appreciate what the police do, and I've seen them handle some extremely intense situations in an admirable way. Hats off to the police. Sorry I ever got this going....

iwantaviperbad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I for one do not appreciate the police. What the heck have they ever done for me? Besides giving me speeding tickets? Name one thing they have EVER done that specifically benefits me. How about when some punk kids broke into my house, trashed it, stole just about everything in it, then did the same to my truck? Where were the cops? They did NOTHING. What do I pay their salaries for? So they can give me a speeding ticket? I've had ONE accident in my life, and that was back when I was 18, because I fell asleep. Had nothing to do with speeding. Who am I endangering? If I choose not to wear a seatbelt, that's my choice. Who is some punk with a badge to tell me I gotta wear a seatbelt or I get a ticket. I have zero respect for the cops, and I have no problem giving them [******] when I do get pulled over. I've been arrested a few times for it, but I will NOT **** up to any punk who think he's god simply because he has a badge and a gun. I've yet to meet a nice cop. I ain't saying they ain't out there, I'm sure they are. They ain't in my neck of the woods.

As far as monnieh's statement: While I disagree with his 2nd statement (the part about being killed), I wholeheartedly agree with the first part. I have to slam on my brakes, while going with the flow of the traffic, more times due to a freaking cop speed trap, than I do for any other reason. How's that safe??

I guess I'll get off my soapbox now. Shouldn't have gotten riled up, I just have NO RESPECT at all for them power-hungry, pimpled punks who are no different from me, except for a freaking badge.

rac156

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So are you proposing we eliminate the police force? Somehow I don't like that idea.

iwantaviperbad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I am not proposing at. I am aware of the general benefits that we have by having a police force. Perhaps some laws should be eliminated. Perhaps police shouldn't have as much power as that do. Perhaps we, as taxpaying citizens, should have more rights than we do.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the basic problem is the revenue aspect. The police place a significantly higher emphasis on traffic control than on crime in general. Crime does not pay (for the police). So they do what the city, county and state governments want them to do and that is put money in the governement bank account. I think some kind of reform is needed so the locals (city, county and state) do not profit directly. Maybe a federal fund that is used directly for highway funding. Some states, Michigan for instance, have just enacted laws that pay the state dividends if you have more than x points and/or serious driving offences. Those annual penalties are paid to the state and increase the revenue significantly. In theory it may sound good (if you are a liberal). Included in the new law are even more stupid things like an automatic $300 fine for not having insurance or registration papers in the car. They only care that you have the paper. Proving that you had active insurance after the fact does nothing to reduce the penalty.

I have no idea how to do it but we must have traffic reform. It should not be used as a revenue device. There is no doubt in my mind that the average policeman knows that if he/she gets more revenue for the city/county/state then they have a much better chance of keeping their jobs. So they have a personal incentive to screw the rest of us. Something needs to change.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the basic problem is the revenue aspect. The police place a significantly higher emphasis on traffic control than on crime in general. Crime does not pay (for the police). So they do what the city, county and state governments want them to do and that is put money in the governement bank account. I think some kind of reform is needed so the locals (city, county and state) do not profit directly. Maybe a federal fund that is used directly for highway funding. Some states, Michigan for instance, have just enacted laws that pay the state dividends if you have more than x points and/or serious driving offences. Those annual penalties are paid to the state and increase the revenue significantly. In theory it may sound good (if you are a liberal). Included in the new law are even more stupid things like an automatic $300 fine for not having insurance or registration papers in the car. They only care that you have the paper. Proving that you had active insurance after the fact does nothing to reduce the penalty.

I have no idea how to do it but we must have traffic reform. It should not be used as a revenue device. There is no doubt in my mind that the average policeman knows that if he/she gets more revenue for the city/county/state then they have a much better chance of keeping their jobs. So they have a personal incentive to screw the rest of us. Something needs to change.

Traffic offenses do need to be reformed, specifically, the penalties so that the system is not promoted to try to generate more revenue and lead to abuses. What is needed is to have traffic offenses involve similar offenses to any other "criminal" activity, e.g., get a speeding ticket or red light ticket and have your driver's license suspended for a week - no fine, but still punishment, sort of like house arrest for basic crimes. It's not like you are fined for ******, robbery, etc., so why should you be fined for traffic violations?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back to the topic. The SRT was supposed to be more subtle (styling) so it shouldn't draw the local sheriffs attention as much. It draws more. The laws don't need to be changed, just penalties revised. 5-10 mph over the limit is within radar/laser error and speedo error. If the law required me to have my speedo calibrated once a year, fine. They don't. The penalty for 0-5 over the limit should be so small, no cop would ever waste their time writing the ticket. Only slightly more 5-10, and so on. The current system can nail us for $150 for 26 in a 25 zone. Or 71 in a 70 zone. Speeding in a school or construction zone the penalty should be $$$$. The local politicians and police should NOT be able to set the fines. They should NOT be able to write a ticket for "getting ready to get on it". We should have a fair national system. IMHO

I once got a ticket for "improper start". No wheelspin, and didn't go over the limit. Figure that one out.

Driver #73 GT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing some of the judges are doing around where I live, They will "Defer" the ticket for a period of time, say 6 months, require you to make a "donation" to a local charity of YOUR choosing. Then if you have no more violations in the allowed time your ticket is dropped. If you do get a moving violation during that time you pay both tickets to the max allowed with no options. I think this system is very fair, it gives you the opportunity to keep the ticket off your record,"BIG insurance savings," and allows the system to work if you can't control yourself. I have personally had cops take an interest in my car more for the car itself than trying to catch me at something. That said there are all kinds in every profession.

Takhard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes it is just the value of the car. The first week I had my SL500 out on the road, I had an officer pull me over for going 40 in a 30. He just wanted proof I owned the vehicle and then he was satisfied with a verbal warning.

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a few run in's w/ crappy cops. The worst was when I had my cobra w/ no cats and 2-ch flowmasters. The cops liked to sit in my parents' neighborhood in the first culdesac when you entered. I was leaving and passed them then turned right out to the main road and jumped on it for fun. I was gone for two hours and came home. I putted by them at 25 and they came out after me. They followed me all the way to my house and pulled into the driveway where they proceded to chew me out for speeding becuase they "heard" me speeding. They waited there all afternoon to gome harrass me. I didnt' get a ticket though, but they always watch for me when I'm home at my parents' house.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta love stupid cops. I always get followed by the cops and I am never doing anything. Helmetta, New Jersey is by far the worst because the cops are always trying to find something. Tickets must be their main source of revenue for the town. This is where I got my first tickets (no front plate and no inspecition sticker). I was told I did not need the inspection sticker for 30 days by my dealer as it was a new car purchased out of state but come to find out NJ had a different law. Ok I understand this one. Pissed but understand. Then I get the front plate one. What a ****. Here is the funny part. I was in that town again last week and the SAME cop that pulled me over for the front plate follows me again for the SAME reason. He is the one that told me to keep the plate in the car and there would be no problems but yet he still follows me and proceeds to run my plates. I just got out of the car and went into my friends house while she talked to him. Once I was leaving the town the same day he followed me again. I turned onto the main road and saw him. He was following me so I gave him a little show. A quick dash to the speed limit. LOL! Nothing he could do and that pissed him off. After I was done I drove towards my town and he stopped following me as he was "out of his jurisdiction." Gotta love those boneheads.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A quick dash to the speed limit. LOL! Nothing he could do and that pissed him off.

You are very naive if you think that. Plenty of things he could get you for if he felt so inclined, "display of speed" being one of them.

Takhard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While on the note of those tickets that are not in the "study guide"... My first ticket was one call "Laying Drag". Basically means I squeeled my tires.

I think there is a ticket for everything. You are at the mercy of the cop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog