Write-up for changing brake pads?

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any write ups out there for changing the brake pads? I've done it before on other cars, but every one is different and just want to make sure I don't miss anything. Car is a 99 RT10.Cheers.

Last edited:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fronts are easy to change, Remove front wheel, Using a small drift (blunt Nail) knock the pins out, remove the spring pad, slowly pry the pads apart and remove them. Check the dust seals are in good condition and replace pads :)

The rear caliper has to be wound in :) Do not try to force it in with pressure as you will damage it. Also be very careful with the rubber gators on the rear caliper (where the caliper slides back n forth over the disc) they can split really easley if fully compressed.

Here's a link to How to rebuild the caliper http://wiki.seloc.org/a/How_to_Rebuild_a_Brembo_Caliper

It explains how the mechanism works :)

OP
OP
I

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just did the rear and it was easy. Didn't even have to take the calipers off. How much do you guys rotate the rear pistons? Pads seem a little loose after install. Will pumping the brake pedal rotate them back out or do I have to adjust it manually for a tighter fit?

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
There is a specific spanner for this...BUT, many use a sturdy pair of needle-nose pliers...taking care NOT to lslip and possibly lacerate the dust boot.

Normal need is to rotate pistons back in...not out. I wonder if yours are stuck??

OP
OP
I

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did rotate it back in (clockwise)....was very easy with some needle nose pliers....the question is if they will rotate back out just enough to make the pads snug to the rotors or if I have to adjust them back out manually for a tighter fit. Never had calipers with a rotating piston before....just wanted to clarify this before I started pumping on the brake pedal.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will come out by themselves. Years past, I had a 280ZX turbo that all four calipers were that way.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just pump the brakes a few times before driving and they will come out.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Stoptech brakes, easy as pie, same size pad front and back. No need to take the caliper off no pins involved, I used to swap out the fronts at the track in half an hour. Make sure you bed the pads in.

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fronts are easy to change, Remove front wheel, Using a small drift (blunt Nail) knock the pins out, remove the spring pad, slowly pry the pads apart and remove them. Check the dust seals are in good condition and replace pads :)

The rear caliper has to be wound in :) Do not try to force it in with pressure as you will damage it. Also be very careful with the rubber gators on the rear caliper (where the caliper slides back n forth over the disc) they can split really easley if fully compressed.

Here's a link to How to rebuild the caliper http://wiki.seloc.org/a/How_to_Rebuild_a_Brembo_Caliper

It explains how the mechanism works :)

Thanks for the link and info ---

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey since someones on the topic, I purchased a set of EBC red's a little while back. What's the best way to break them in?

What I do is 4 runs from 100-5mph, 4 runs 80-5mph and 8 runs 60-5mph. Stomp on them hard but don't come to a complete stop, you will get some "green" fade and your pads will be smoking a little that is normal then drive about 5 miles without touching the brake pedal to cool them down and you have your pads bedded in.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I installed my Stoptech system, the instructions said to do basically the same proceedure that SoCal Rebel wrote (I think my instructions said 6 runs from 60-5 mph) but twice. They said to drive long enough without touching the brakes to get the pads and rotors back to ambient temp in between. As for the smoke, it wasn't just a little. My car looked like my tires were on fire after about the fourth time! After that, my car will stop on a dime and give you back change!!

eabrillon1978

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By using the break in procedure that comes with them.

Thanks dave...

What I do is 4 runs from 100-5mph, 4 runs 80-5mph and 8 runs 60-5mph. Stomp on them hard but don't come to a complete stop, you will get some "green" fade and your pads will be smoking a little that is normal then drive about 5 miles without touching the brake pedal to cool them down and you have your pads bedded in.

Just what I was looking for... Appreciate it.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got 14" SRT brakes. Got the size factor covered. The reds were recommended by the vendor I bought the brake / wheel / tire package from.

Oh god I put on a recommended set of Reds once drove around the block back into my driveway and took them off and threw them out, that's what I think of the Reds!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have reds fitted to my stock size Gen 2 front calipers, I get a lot of dust off them when tracking the car? Can't say Im over impressed with them for stopping power! I was going to try the Pagid RS Racing brake pads next, more expensive but Hopefully they might anchor up better?

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have reds fitted to my stock size Gen 2 front calipers, I get a lot of dust off them when tracking the car? Can't say Im over impressed with them for stopping power! I was going to try the Pagid RS Racing brake pads next, more expensive but Hopefully they might anchor up better?

Pagid and Hawk are "OK" track pads but being my Viper is a 2000 with no ABS I find that Brakeman 3 pads are a more "progressive" pad. Less chance of locking them up and flat spotting your tires, which I still did twice and ended up having to have the tires shaved. And Dave 14,770 posts? You *****.