year clarification

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently got a 1996 RT10. Some VIPER magazines came w/ the car. One article stated that no convertibles were made in 1996 b/c of a change in assembly plants. So is my car a 1995 badged as a '96, or is it really a '96 in the eyes of the VCA?
The code on the title is for '96.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a 1996. If it has stripes they should come to a point on the hood. You would have 415hp instead of the 1996 GTS w/450hp but more than the 400hp in the 95 and earlier cars. It also has a better suspension than the earlier cars.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All 721 96 MY RT10s have rear exhaust....some were built in 1995.
All 1995 MY US Vipers have SIDE exhausts.
There is a sticker on the drivers door that tells you a lot of data..
White or Black 96 RT10s have a skinny, dual-tape-stripe package, and all colors had 5-spoke wheels. Red 96 RT had YELLOW wheels and trim! {This makes the cars slower for reasons hard to describe}

The 96 RT is unique in many ways....... the VIPER BUYERS GUIDE ($25) is an asset...

OP
OP
V

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car is white but it has aftermarket parts so I'm not sure what is stock and what isn't. The original stripes do come to a point on the front fascia. It has sidepipes, but I think they could have been added along w/ the headers. The original wheels are 5 spoke, also white.
The magazine article threw me off; otherwise I wouldn't be too concerned until I need parts for it.
Thanks for your insight. I'm going to see if the sticker is still on the door.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My car is white but it has aftermarket parts so I'm not sure what is stock and what isn't. The original stripes do come to a point on the front fascia. It has sidepipes, but I think they could have been added along w/ the headers. The original wheels are 5 spoke, also white.
The magazine article threw me off; otherwise I wouldn't be too concerned until I need parts for it.
Thanks for your insight. I'm going to see if the sticker is still on the door.

Im 98% certain you have one of about 325 white 96 Rt10. Blue stripes?
White wheels were original on 1996 white RT10s ...(and a tiny handful of GTSs)
Sidepipes and headers would be aftermarket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Doc ????? W Va ???

Yeah, It's me, Frank. You and I read the same forums. I find specific car forums to be better sources of information than any other place. I tend to have lots of questions and use the "search" feature. I try to learn from others and hope they can learn from me.
You may know more about my car than I do. I'll get to pick your brain more as we attend track events. I lost your business card somewhere betw your trailer and mine. Fortunately, you followed up w/ email.
:2tu:

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad that i followed up with the email. must be my formal training as a youngster writing all those thank you notes....