YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THIS - THE NEW VIPER WILL RUN 10'S IN THE 1/4 MILE

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THIS - THE NEW VIPER WILL RUN 10\'S IN THE 1/4 MILE

If Gen3s with an extra 95hp from the aftermarket are running 10's (which I don't think they are) than the G4 just might do it.

Off the top of my head, the usual magazine road test-or even owner tested - G3 ET gain over the G2 isn't much. What's the factory HP difference between G2 & G3..55hp?

Most magazine tests of the G3 were what..still in the 12's?

But the higher rpm might help, as might the VVT showing its' ability to increase low and top end power.

We'll hope for some nice numbers :)

one of the reasons that gen-3's have slower 1/4 mile times than gen-2's is because their 19" tall rear wheels have made the already overdriven 3.07 rear gears even more overdriven. :rolleyes: bottomline is that the viper needs a 3.42 rear gear bone stock from the factory in order to beat the C6 Z06 1/4 time. a bone stock C6 Z06 on the factory stock tires has run a 11.2 1/4 mile time. :eek: i don't see the 2008 viper beating that without a 3.42 rear gear.

Maybe the different gearing can be an option... one can only hope.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Many people who mod their Vipers past the stock power levels who had previously changed their gears, switch back.
So with 600HP now stock, maybe the 3.07 gears are a better match even with the taller 19" rear tires.
The PS2s are grippy, but the added power will still likely just spin the tires in 1st and 2nd gears (and even worse if you add 3.42 or 3.55 gears).

I still think that "just" the clutch, shifter, diff, 600HP/560TQ, and PS2 tires will be enough for an expert driver to nip into the high 10s under perfect conditions. But it will be an epic event if any normal drivers (or automag writers) will be able to get better than mid 11s. ;)

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why anyone would want to drag race without drag tires is beyond me; conversely, why anyone would want to drive drag tires on the road is beyond me.

I mean really, you are drag racing. Put the appropriate tires on the vehicle for the intended purpose.

bigerc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It shocked me a little bit when new gearing ratios weren't included on the list of 08 mods... but it also shocked me what all was included to compliment the extra horsepower. Personally my money is on wanted breaking into the 10 second range :headbang: . I just hope if he ever gets the chance to attempt it in an '08 viper someone brings a video camera. :2tu:

I believe high 10s will be seen in a stock car but only out of a hand full of drivers and even then only on occasion. I think we'll be lucky if the magazines give us 11.4 but what do they know??

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why anyone would want to drag race without drag tires is beyond me;

Plenty of people just want to go out to the drag strip for a couple of runs once in a while, and don't want to deal with tire-swapping, costs for additional tires, etc. Plus, many want to see how their car will do stock, i.e., what they could do effectively just driving around town. There's plenty of reasons to drag with stock tires.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Plenty of people just want to go out to the drag strip for a couple of runs once in a while, and don't want to deal with tire-swapping, costs for additional tires, etc. Plus, many want to see how their car will do stock, i.e., what they could do effectively just driving around town. There's plenty of reasons to drag with stock tires.

I think BM is referring to dragracing regulars and not guys like you and me.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One BIG issue is that NHRA drag racing rules limit cars to running 11.5 and above without having to add safety equipment like a rollcage, halfshaft, driveshaft safety loops, 5-point belts, and more.

Sure dedicated drag racers will eagerly make those modifications and bolt on drag radials to get superior times, but that's a dedicated few.

I always knew that I could shave a significant amount off of my ET if I ran drag radials, but in reality it meant adding all of the safety bits, buying another set of rear rims and rear tires, knowing that I would get kicked off of the track without the safety mods, and having a decent chance of breaking something expensive.

Two things about running on street tires are 1) that you are actually seeing performance numbers that are close to what your car's real world acceleration on the street would be, not just bragging specs. And 2) that by running street tires at the dragstrip, the tires are acting as the "fuse" and that spinning the tires is what happens when you apply too much power abruptly. Without the ability to release that extra power somehow, the added stress of having a lot more power (as in the 600HP/560TQ'08 Viper) it will be focused on the halfshafts (u-joints), differential gears, clutch and transmission. Which ALL cost a bag of money to repair/replace when they break. :eek:

Frankly it will be tricky for even skilled new Viper owners to take their factory stock '08 Vipers to their local dragstrip and make enough runs to get down to 10.99 because most likely they will get kicked off the track LONG before then for running too fast (under 11.5) without the required safety equipment. :nono:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One BIG issue is that NHRA drag racing rules limit cars to running 11.5 and above without having to add safety equipment like a rollcage, halfshaft, driveshaft safety loops, 5-point belts, and more.

Yeah, that's a big issue for about .001% of the vehicles out there, there's plenty of people who don't encounter those situations. Since we are driving Vipers, it's obviously a bigger potential issue than the masses who are dragging though.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Now that we are on the topic of drag racing, I'll have to agree that there will be many who just want to go out one day and run the 1/4 mile in there new 08 or even older Vipers. Im there now. Ive added a few things to Viper and just want to see what real world #'s I can run at the track on street tires. Its kind of a bummer to think that a stock car bought from dealer cant go run on the track for a day of fun without adding safety equipment. I am all for serious racers or monthly guys doing et bracket racing to have equipment. But if a car from the factory is made to run 12's, 11's or even 10's on the street,why cant they let you come out for a prcatice day to see what your car can do. I thought the whole point of the track was keeping the racing of the street. But yet I dont want to add a roll bar to my car that may see the track once or twice in a year.

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Now that we are on the topic of drag racing, I'll have to agree that there will be many who just want to go out one day and run the 1/4 mile in there new 08 or even older Vipers. Im there now. Ive added a few things to Viper and just want to see what real world #'s I can run at the track on street tires. Its kind of a bummer to think that a stock car bought from dealer cant go run on the track for a day of fun without adding safety equipment. I am all for serious racers or monthly guys doing et bracket racing to have equipment. But if a car from the factory is made to run 12's, 11's or even 10's on the street,why cant they let you come out for a prcatice day to see what your car can do. I thought the whole point of the track was keeping the racing of the street. But yet I dont want to add a roll bar to my car that may see the track once or twice in a year.

It is quite common for a car club or just a group of car enthusiast friends to rent a drag strip for a day of time trials. I have been to a few of these myself. When the track has been privately rented, they relax the 11.50 rule quite a bit. That would be the time to fully ring out the car and see what it can do. The track officials would probably be as curious as us to know the full potential of an '08 Viper. :headbang:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Remember torque increased only 25 ft-lbs. I predict no lower than 11.2 sec in the 1/4 mile.

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Those of you who run 3.42 rears- what is your top speed in 1,2 and 3rd?

Jim

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys why are you not giving the viper the credit it deserves????

Yea wanted is running 11.5 with smooth tubes..KandN's and an catback..But without those modds 100% bone stock he'd be running 11.7's..

MANY people have ran 11.7 in 100% bone stock gen 2 vipers...

Think about that for a second..many people have ran 11.7 in 400-420 rwhp bone stock gen 2 vipers...

the record is 11.6...Thats only FOUR tenths behind the record for the fastest bone stock c6z06 of 11.2 (ranger)...

Lots of people forget about how potent the viper really is due to the gen3..

while the gen 3 viper has an adittional 30 rwhp over the gen 2 viper ( 440 rwhp on average for the gen3 vrs 410 rwhp on average for the gen2) it also has larger rims making the 3.07 rear gears even taller as well as very un drag friendly run flat tires..

So despite the gen 3 weighing the same and having 30 more rwhp..the gen 2 and gen 3 usually both run in the low 12 range at 117-120 mph with the gen 3 having maybe a tenth and 1 mph advantage...

the whole point of this comparison is too just forget about the lackluster drag SRT10 for a second ( even though the SRT10 is a better road race car than the gen 2)

And concentrate on the gen 2 viper that was much better for drag racing and made better use of it's 410 rwhp that the gen3 did with it's 440 rwhp...

The gen 2 had 410 rwhp BONE STOCK and consistently ran 11.9-12.3 at 115-120 mph in every review ever done on the vehicle. average was 12.2 at 118 mph..

popular science ran an 11.9 at 120 mph. ford hot Shoe Evan smith ran an 11.7 at 120 mph in a bone stock 2001 rt10..Just to give an example of some of the gen 2's documented achievements...

But many personal owners have ran 11.7 at 119-121 mph in these bone stock gen2's...

Now close your eyes and imagine that the gen 2 still has nice grippy stock tires...Still weighs 3380-3430 pounds....only it cost 90 grand and now has 500 rwhp instead of 410 rwhp!!!!!!!

Thats right guys..An extra 90 rwhp to play with...

With an extra 90 rwhp to play with..

DO YOU THINK SOME OF THOSE GUYS RUNNING 11.7'S AT 119-121 MPH COULD POSSIBLY NOW BE RUNNING 11.1 AT 126-128 MPH????

And if this 08 viper really dose have 600 HP and looses 12% through the drive train like the gen 3 did...

it will dyno 525 rwhp...

now imagine those gen 2 guys who ran 11.7 at 119-121 mph bone stock with 410 rwhp......Having 525 rwhp...

Guys..thats a 10.9 car at 130 mph...

it's pretty obvious that DC adressed the shortcomings of the gen 3 and look like they are focused on putting the power down to the road. If thats the case like the differant articles suggest and this thing really dose dyno 520 rwhp..

Those same guys who were able to get 11.7's at 119-121 from bone stock gen2's will be able to coax 10.9's at 128-130 mph from bone stock 08 vipers...

And if the weight is down like many things seem to be pointing to. An average driver will be able to get a 10.9-11.2 on a good night.

Wanted..Im eagerly awaiting this man..ive always looked to you as the ranger of the Viper world. good luck.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"The Viper has a very good suspension, but isn't a lot of the weight up front in the car? I think that will hurt its traction in drag racing as well."

The Viper is nearly 50-50 weight distribution. What makes you think the front end is heavy?

The suspension on the Viper does not provide for rapid weight transfer. There are mant things that can be done to improve the weight transfer, but static weight distribution is not a problem.

Did you not see the question mark? I ASKED if it was front heavy, I didn't say it was for sure.

I thought I read it was like 46/54......with more of the weight being up front.

Either way, it's not that big of a deal, but if it IS front heavy...that'd just add to the traction issues, somewhat.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let's assume that the assumption of sub 11 second times is correct. Where are you going to get the required safety equipment for the new coupe ( at least a roll bar unless one is already embedded in the vehicle ) to run a sub 11 second time at the strip? Without the equipment, you'll get one pass before you are told to stop running until you comply. For instance, take a look at Moroso's rules which are the NHRA rules with some clarifications and additions. A sub eleven second car has to meet a number of requirements. Hopefully, DC has thought of this and Mopar will have the necessary equipment available or at least the car will be ready from DC to recieve aftermarket parts that meet the requirements.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i have yet to see a rollbar in a gen-3 viper coupe. :confused: if anybody has a pic please post it up

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If the car came stock with slicks, we'd all be seeing how fast we could drive without hydroplaning?

Not the kid.

Fundamentally, if we are drag racing a stick shifts, then why not change the tires? The vehicle is not in proper service anyway.

If I want to understand the vehicle's ultimate capability in the drag venue, then I'd need the right tires. I'm talking about maxing out the stock capability in the quarter, no engine mods, no exhaust mods, no suspension mods, no weight mods, just the right tool for hooking up....which is not the intended design purpose for these cars anyway, but I digress.

I guess what I'm saying is that if I want to know what the ultimate stock capability is, then that means driving around town and seeing how many people whistle or challenge me to race. That's stock, from the factory, with whatever tires and rims some Detroit beancounter decided to shoe the car with.

But that doesn't tell me how fast I can run the quarter. Racing should be done with racing tires, and driving around town should be on DOT tires.

I was dropped on my head a long time ago, and so you will all have to excuse me if I refuse to understand any other viewpoint than my own.

Sure dedicated drag racers will eagerly make those modifications and bolt on drag radials to get superior times, but that's a dedicated few.

I always knew that I could shave a significant amount off of my ET if I ran drag radials, but in reality it meant adding all of the safety bits, buying another set of rear rims and rear tires, knowing that I would get kicked off of the track without the safety mods, and having a decent chance of breaking something expensive.

Two things about running on street tires are 1) that you are actually seeing performance numbers that are close to what your car's real world acceleration on the street would be, not just bragging specs. And 2) that by running street tires at the dragstrip, the tires are acting as the "fuse" and that spinning the tires is what happens when you apply too much power abruptly. Without the ability to release that extra power somehow, the added stress of having a lot more power (as in the 600HP/560TQ'08 Viper) it will be focused on the halfshafts (u-joints), differential gears, clutch and transmission. Which ALL cost a bag of money to repair/replace when they break. :eek:

Frankly it will be tricky for even skilled new Viper owners to take their factory stock '08 Vipers to their local dragstrip and make enough runs to get down to 10.99 because most likely they will get kicked off the track LONG before then for running too fast (under 11.5) without the required safety equipment. :nono:

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let's assume that the assumption of sub 11 second times is correct. Where are you going to get the required safety equipment for the new coupe ( at least a roll bar unless one is already embedded in the vehicle ) to run a sub 11 second time at the strip? Without the equipment, you'll get one pass before you are told to stop running until you comply. For instance, take a look at Moroso's rules which are the NHRA rules with some clarifications and additions. A sub eleven second car has to meet a number of requirements. Hopefully, DC has thought of this and Mopar will have the necessary equipment available or at least the car will be ready from DC to recieve aftermarket parts that meet the requirements.

This is a problem already with the Z06. Several people have written letters to have the rules changed. A lot of guys have gotten kicked off the track running a BONE STOCK (down to the tires) Z06 under 11.5s without a cage.

For guys who like to drag race, you're definitely going to need one with the new Viper.

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This car will certainly break into the high 10’s, in my opinion. I did 11.78 in my 2003 in less than stock form. Bone stock, the car originally dyno’ed at 438.6hp and 465.9tq in June 2003. I added K&N air and had the ECM factory reflash in May of 2004 and went on to run an 11.78 the following month. I assumed these changes helped but was surprised to find out I had actually lost HP and torque (431.5hp/447.2tq) on a subsequent dyno done on the same machine as previous.

This sub-12 time required ideal track conditions, since we all know the GenIII’s are bad at putting the power to the ground. One inch added to the rear wheels dropped the differential .22 to a 2.85 equivalent, as compared to the GenII’s, thus nullifying the additional 40 HP. Add 90 additional HP and you are now looking at a potential timesavings of .9 seconds.

This new Viper absolutely needs a roll-bar option from the factory. The GenIII hoops are nothing but 3/4'” hollow aluminum tubes encased in foam rubber. It would be irresponsible to have this same design in a 600HP Viper. A factory roll-bar option would allow owners to enjoy these cars at the track in stock form, without being barred.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok Im Quoting You On This..the Time Is Near Wanted..whats Up? You Still Taking This Challange Bro? Good Luck Man

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a couple of you may have missed a point, Tom(WANTED) ran that 11.5 with a GEN2 RT10, all 450HP of it not a 510HP Gen 3. Yeah, it has tubes and filters and a rear Mopar. Those mods have shown in many dyno days to add a whopping 7hp or so over BONE Stock. So given another 150 HP I personally have NO doubt HE will be in the 10's. It's all about the 60 time and shifting and he's blessed in those departments.
Also remember that the ACR has lost about 80 NET lbs AFTER adding the wing, splitter and whatever elso they beefed up. Suppose the wing and splitter were removed to go to the drags? Now how much lighter is an ACR. 100Lbs, 120lbs? I dunno.
So now you've got a guy with 11.51 in a GEN 2, 450hp car in a gen 4 with 600 hp and 100+ lbs lopped off for good measure. No doubt he will hit 10's probably even without the weight saving ACR.

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive always beleaved that any vehicle trapping 117-120 mph should be in the 11.6-11.9 range with traction/driver bone stock. Just look what the c5Z06 guys can do with only 114-117 mph trapps. 11.8-12.2 with great drivers.

the Gen2's were trapping 3 mph higher with 117-120 mph trapps but the great drivers were only in the 11.6-12.0 range..

Then along comes the gen3's with 120-123 mph trapps..And what??? 11.7-12.1 with the good drivers?????

I think the problem is all the TQ.But thats just my opinion. The SRT10 is defiently faster than the gen2. After owning both I can attest to that. But I still dont understand why a 120-123 mph trapping vehicle is amost always around 12.0..

Anyways. looks like they got it all sorted out on the gen4 and I cant wait to see what wanted can do

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipers are NOT drag cars, they **** at it. Wrong gears, tires, susp ect ect ect.

My ACR make 565rwhp, yet, I trap at 127mph. What's my best time so far 11.61 w/1.9 60ft Granted that was on 6 y/o tires nearly full tank of gas 30psi in the tires and 90+ out side. So in the right time, in the right place with out a full tank of fuel can my car hit a 10.90 or better. I think so.

Can the 08 do what my car does, I bet it will be REAL close. I bet we will see a 10.90 to 11.0 from good drivers. The PS2's are VERY sticky.

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The time is coming very soon. I do have a 2008 coupe to drive , can't tell ya who's but
10's will happen. Proof will be provided - stock 2008 viper 10's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom (WANTED):drive:

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:hijack:
i have yet to see a rollbar in a gen-3 viper coupe. :confused: if anybody has a pic please post it up

Hey Fast Freddy,

Check out this DC Performance rollbar:

DC Performance: Proven Performance

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member