Z06 - Finally, some truly objective information!!!

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I received the latest issue of Road and Track yesterday, and as chance would have it, they just happened to take the new Z06 and put it through it's paces.

"In terms of raw acceleration, the Zo6 is world-class quick, though not quite a match for its cross-town rival, the Dodge Viper SRT-10. Our vBox test gear clocked a 4.2 second 0-60 run, nearly reaching this speed in 1st gear, where the Dodge sprints there in 4.0; likewise, the Zo6 dispatches the quarter-mile in 12.3 sec. at 116.6 mph, while its V-10 powered adversary cranks out a 12.1 at 119.3. The Viper "feels" quicker too in a roll-on situation, its extra 1.3 liters of displacement practically punting you forward, versus the still-forceful but more linear surge of the Zo6."

While they loved the car (and from a true lover of sports cars, what's not to love) I think they put some rumors to bed about the Z06 spanking all those pesky Vipers right out of the box.

At some point in my life the Z06 might become a daily driver, while the viper will always be reserved for those days when I want my heart to beat just a little bit fast. And after any comparison you care to make, the SRT will always have the one thing that matters most to me - the ability to get a tan while driving!

PS - If anyone is interested I am heading to Summit Point on November 4th for FATT. There are still some novice slots open.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent one of my ZO6 friends this info a couple days ago when R&T landed here. I have endured the Viper killer comments for a while. It will be interesting to see how they test out in the other mags and ...once they are on the street.

Steve

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think someone else mentioned this, but I'd like to see a comparision test where the manufacturer provided a car AND a driver who was familiar with the car. Of course, the testing outfit should also do a dyno test and some inspection to try to catch any "ringer" cars.

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think someone else mentioned this, but I'd like to see a comparision test where the manufacturer provided a car AND a driver who was familiar with the car. Of course, the testing outfit should also do a dyno test and some inspection to try to catch any "ringer" cars.

I think this is a great idea. Send Archer and Heinricy to drive for both respective cars. One of the mags did this awhile back and had Heinricy for Z06, and Haywood for Porsche.

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes sense to me - thats why I dumped my C6 vette and sold my spot on the Z06 list to get a 2005 SRT 10 Viper! Best damn decision I ever made!

OP
OP
D

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That would be great, but for the time being I am happy to have some real information, rather than a motor trend article where they didn't really even drive the car.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want real info take a look at SCCA T1 and see which cars are restricted to make the playing ground fair for the lesser car that can't compete.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOT Making excuses by any means but it's well known C&D can't drive for spit. Poor times for BOTH cars.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOT Making excuses by any means but it's well known C&D can't drive for spit. Poor times for BOTH cars.

I just got my issue of C&D and they have a 3.6 0-60 time for the Z06. 1/4 mile in 11.7.

If that is poor times, I can't imagine what a good driver could do.

:D :D

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just got my issue of C&D and they have a 3.6 0-60 time for the Z06. 1/4 mile in 11.7.

I meant R&T and put C&D. :rolleyes: Sorry about that. :D

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score

That is correct. Both Motor Trend and C&D got the above times. So now What? :rolleyes:

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Big deal, there are plenty of SRT10's running 11.60's to 11.90's. Congrats to Chevy, it's now a drivers race... Hope everyone has been practicing... :)

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is the truth about the magizanes. i have i subscription to all three. THE LEAST accurate magizane is C&D (way tooo fast or way too slow) THE MORE accurate magizane is R&T (ussally correct and if not off by a tenth of a sec.)the MOST accurate is MT (almost always right except for a few cases).

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Our vBox test gear clocked a 4.2 second 0-60 run, nearly reaching this speed in 1st gear, where the Dodge sprints there in 4.0; likewise, the Zo6 dispatches the quarter-mile in 12.3 sec. at 116.6 mph, while its V-10 powered adversary cranks out a 12.1 at 119.3. The Viper "feels" quicker too in a roll-on situation, its extra 1.3 liters of displacement practically punting you forward, versus the still-forceful but more linear surge of the Zo6."

You guys miss the point ... it doesn't matter which magazine is more accurate. Only R&T put the Viper and the Z06 side-by-side -- same test gear, same everything -- and the Viper is, and feels quicker ...

C&D and MT will come to the same conclusion if the do they same side-by-side, back-to-back comparison on the same day, same everything ... it's an 8.3L V-10 vs. a V8

The Vette's light weight strong points don't really make as much of a difference unless you put it on a track ... on the street, the SRT-10 Viper is still king. (And with higher rear-end gears, I like the SRT's chances on the track too.)

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course we all know that R&T is always consistant about consistantly posting the SLOWEST times of all the automotive press mags. Can someone dig through their old R&T's and see if those are the same numbers for a 02 and newer C-FIVE Z-06?

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you will find that Road and Track does hve the slower times for previous years on those cars. More real world.

Black Mamba 149

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would it not be prudent to think that it will basically come down to whom is the best driver of the two cars side by side? I would think that most, not all, but most Viper drivers have more knowledge and skill when it comes to driving sports cars due to the fact that a lot of the VCA members have listed as their previous/ current cars as vettes, other vipers and exotics. Side by side, driver for driver I really am not that worried. Plus the fact if and when they come out with performance parts for the vette, I would tend to think a modded V-8 would suffer to a modded V-10.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would it not be prudent to think that it will basically come down to whom is the best driver of the two cars side by side? I would think that most, not all, but most Viper drivers have more knowledge and skill when it comes to driving sports cars due to the fact that a lot of the VCA members have listed as their previous/ current cars as vettes, other vipers and exotics. Side by side, driver for driver I really am not that worried. Plus the fact if and when they come out with performance parts for the vette, I would tend to think a modded V-8 would suffer to a modded V-10.

Depends on the mods, driver, and traction. I've seen on MANY occasions where the car w/ the most power lost the race.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MOPAR426,I think that's a pretty good analysis.I really can't understand the
near hysteria among some of the Viper Nation regarding the new Z06.
Quarter mile times etc. are not the end-all and be-all for comparing cars,any more than horsepower and torque ratings are.
Raw numbers may be useful in some ways,but don't provide info on such intangibles as overall feel,
steering response,how quickly the car transitions from understeer to oversteer,etc.
Much of this is,of course,subjective;what feels like quick steering response to one
driver may feel darty to another,one guy's idea of a just-right suspension may
feel too compliant or too stiff to another,and so on.Had 2 year's experience with
the C5 Z06 and much prefer the SRT10's handling characteristics-the Vette's
steering seems a bit numb by comparison.Maybe GM has softened things up to keep the
masses happy.In the end,I think it will come down to individual preference & skill
level.We shall see.Anyhow,we now have the best selection of AMERICAN sports cars
we've ever had-let the competition begin!

Black Mamba 149

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the mods, driver, and traction. I've seen on MANY occasions where the car w/ the most power lost the race.

Thus my point exactly. It depends a lot on the driver. I also am not to worried when these things hit the street.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since when did we consider any of the car mags objective? Oh that's right, when it satisfies our needs. LOL.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to DocAdam

Where did you see the article that you quoted that was in Road & Track? You quote: In terms of raw acceleration, the Zo6 is world-class quick, though not quite a match for its cross-town rival, the Dodge Viper SRT-10. Our vBox test gear clocked a 4.2 second 0-60 run, nearly reaching this speed in 1st gear, where the Dodge sprints there in 4.0; likewise, the Zo6 dispatches the quarter-mile in 12.3 sec. at 116.6 mph, while its V-10 powered adversary cranks out a 12.1 at 119.3. The Viper "feels" quicker too in a roll-on situation, its extra 1.3 liters of displacement practically punting you forward, versus the still-forceful but more linear surge of the Zo6." Nowhere can I find this quote in the latest issue. I am curious, what page and what month of Road & Track? I looked like a foolin front of my corvette loving brother in law who shoved the magazine into my face and said show me after I gave him a copy of your post.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to DocAdam

Where did you see the article that you quoted that was in Road & Track? You quote: In terms of raw acceleration, the Zo6 is world-class quick, though not quite a match for its cross-town rival, the Dodge Viper SRT-10. Our vBox test gear clocked a 4.2 second 0-60 run, nearly reaching this speed in 1st gear, where the Dodge sprints there in 4.0; likewise, the Zo6 dispatches the quarter-mile in 12.3 sec. at 116.6 mph, while its V-10 powered adversary cranks out a 12.1 at 119.3. The Viper "feels" quicker too in a roll-on situation, its extra 1.3 liters of displacement practically punting you forward, versus the still-forceful but more linear surge of the Zo6." Nowhere can I find this quote in the latest issue. I am curious, what page and what month of Road & Track? I looked like a foolin front of my corvette loving brother in law who shoved the magazine into my face and said show me after I gave him a copy of your post.

It's in the October issue (on news stands now!) Page 77

safireviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A " Simpson's " episode where Lisa finds the new and improved Malibu Stacy doll is very similar to what's happening at Dodge. The only thing she finds changed in the doll is she has a new hat. The little girls pause for a moment pondering what she proclaims and then Smither's says " But she has a new hat! ". Thus a stampede ensues for the new model. I see the same thing with the Viper. No real improvements - but it's has new colors and stripes!

OP
OP
D

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, I was away for the weekend ... but, what he said.

It's in the October issue (on news stands now!) Page 77