Z06 vs. 05 Viper (with 3 mods.)

phoenix1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Opinions? Do you guys think by simply adding a sealed ram air induction box with green filters (from Atro), and a performance computer with 180 thermostat (from DCperformance) it would beat the Z06 (0-60, quarter mile, top end)? If so, not a bad investment for about $1,700.

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe 10 hp for $1700 not a good investment. If you are racing at the strip buy slicks alot better investment

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The biggest problem with high hp cars is getting the power to the ground. So, slicks certainly help there. However, I would suggest a good suspension first. Stock suspension on all cars is crap. Go get yourself some Motons, KW's or Penske's and you should pick up the few tenths you need for stoplight races. For roll-ons, gearing will take care of that (but with some reduction in top end). For top end, you need gearing (in the other direction) and big hp. Get the engine to breathe more efficiently by freeing up the intake and the exhaust as much as possible.

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget power - you have enough.

You need to be able to shift cleanly and react well.
Second, to get a good 0-60, you need gears that allow you to stay in 1st.
Third, you need to get your obscenely high torque to the ground to get your early acceleration. This means, if youy are running stock rubber, you have a major weak link.
Spend the dough on the stickiest rubber you can find (that is DOT legal if required).
That's it.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a roll on race, I think you would taken him. Keep in mind that computer flash adds 25 plus hp to the mid range but only nets five or 10 on the total. Therfore you should get a real good jump on a z06.

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Opinions? Do you guys think by simply adding a sealed ram air induction box with green filters (from Atro), and a performance computer with 180 thermostat (from DCperformance) it would beat the Z06 (0-60, quarter mile, top end)? If so, not a bad investment for about $1,700.

What is the price breakdown on these two mods? Filters cant be more than a couple hundred and spending over a grand on a pcm is insane.

OP
OP
P

phoenix1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. everyone. Just looking for bragging rights, as no actual racing therefore expensive suspension, gears, tires/wheels etc. out of the question. My brother has a Vette and is needling me about his Z06 being faster than my 05 SRT according to about every leading car magazine out there. Can't dispute it! Now if I can make these mods. for under 1,700 and increase performance over his ZO6 with some documented proof, I'll be dishing out the crap (to put it mildly).

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Sealed airbox is BULL$HIT.

I would not be surprised that it may even decrease power, as opposed to the regular KNN kit.

That little vent in front of the hood is NOT big enough, and is NOT mounted in a spot that will receive a lot of pressure. It would have to be mounted in the very TIP of the bumper, or at least a couple of inches off the hood.

If there was positive pressure in there, I assure you DC engineers would have sealead it themselves, AND would not have made those two huge holes in the bottom to **** air from inside the front bumper.

Don't waste your money. :nono:

If you don't believe me, buy one of those weather stations and put the remote sensor in the airbox, and check for pressure (vacuum I assure you.

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. everyone. Just looking for bragging rights, as no actual racing therefore expensive suspension, gears, tires/wheels etc. out of the question. My brother has a Vette and is needling me about his Z06 being faster than my 05 SRT according to about every leading car magazine out there. Can't dispute it! Now if I can make these mods. for under 1,700 and increase performance over his ZO6 with some documented proof, I'll be dishing out the crap (to put it mildly).

Don't let that influence you. You'll just shift the debate to " Aha, you need to mod your already more expensive car just to beat a Vette, ha ha ha." just go with full exhaust, filters and tune.

OP
OP
P

phoenix1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not worried about that as he paid 76,000 for his Z06, and I paid 62,000 with 2,800 miles for my 05 SRT.

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the new Z06 is putting over 550 out so is underated.
The trouble is he has decent torque curve and a 1 gear 0-60. You need gears and traction. To be honest, you can only compete on your theoretical (if you do not want to spend $) maximum power (blower, etc) - I am pretty sure that Z06 wont go too much higher - the GM guys did their homework and produced a very light fast and powerful car. Save that $ for the upcoming Gen4.
The 1,700 ffor those mods are truly not terribly bragable since they do not net much power.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Run him first to see if $1700 is even needed. Talk is cheap. Betcha your SRT can walk the walk just fine if YOU can equally rise to the occation. Don't chase expensive theoretical variables until you've established the need as a potential offset to your motoring skills (unless you feel you can extract 100% of the performance abilities of your SRT vs your Brother). You might just find that your Brother might be running to the parts bin a lot sooner that you!!!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
phoenix1,

If it were my $ and I had to beat someone like a brother with a Z-06, I'd first change to 3.55's. These make a bunch of difference getting the car moving at your relatively low stock power level.

My second change would be to some stickier rear tires, like Kumho's Ecsta V-700's, Toyo RA1's or Nitto drag radials. Problem is, these are only available in 18's and would require new wheels.

Thirdly, K & N's do work and are cheap.

#4, A good tune (Dan Cragin's works) will net you some more power.

If you can drive, you'll whip the Z in most any race with the above mods as long as he is stock.

I wouldn't waste money on sealed air boxes or headers. These just don't give you much power for the $.

Dan

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
KNN's do work. they give you about 20 hp, which is jus about ass much as you can get by improving the intake&filters.

Those of you xpecting miracles from a freaking air filter are the ones that get suckered into paying big bucks for something you don't need.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
20 sounds a little high. I think I got between 5 and 10 when I had the system installed (now a Paxton).

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PHOENIX...
best bang for the buck would be...
-KNN intake
-Exhaust
-Gears
-Headers

Bwahaha! Here is a real bang for the buck list:

-Sticky tires
-Short Gears

If you want to stay away from nitrous oxide, everything else starts that ridiculous not much bang for the buck slippery slope the aftermarket prays upon.

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not if it is equal drivers. You will need ~40 rwhp more than the Z06 to make up the difference of weight and gearing just be even with it. So my guess is about 480 rwhp to just be even, maybe more.

This is coming from someone who has had both and raced both. On my very first pass, in 85* heat, and some wheelhop in 1st gear, my Z06 still managed to run an 11.6@126. in bone stock trim on the stock runcraps

jmo

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i would spend a grand and send your brother on vacation for a week. during this time you can swap motors from the viper to the z06. this will be the best bang for the buck!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Verry funny but your humor is flawed.

When you really think about it, the engine is now why the Z06 is a bit faster. In fact the Viper engine is more powerful, albeit, not by much,but it is. The weight of the cars is the difference.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Verry funny but your humor is flawed.

When you really think about it, the engine is now why the Z06 is a bit faster. In fact the Viper engine is more powerful, albeit, not by much,but it is. The weight of the cars is the difference.

Think he meant to say NOT not NOW

Anwyays, that joke was stupid. The z06 engine does not make more hp or more tq then the viper motor, and push comes to shove, the viper v10 is FAR more capable of surviving higher HP increases then the z06 block is.

sorry I really do think the z06 rocks for what it is, but its still a vette, and short from its value vs performance (which they have been for sometime now), it really just another plain jane vette.

If I just wanted a fast car to beat on, I'd def. pick the z06. But if I wanted a fast car to beat on and look damn good in it, it'd always be a viper over a vette. I Pose this question, for 10k installed, a Paxton will take a stock viper and make it walk a z06 (least I can, could care less about the other bad drivers not capable of doing it). Now at that point, it gives me all the vettes power to weight and then some. For 10k, can you take the vette and make it look as good as the viper? Yeah.. didnt think so..

Jon

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon - you are right fo the uniqueness aspect.
BUT, I caution you on which car (at least engine) can you beat on. There is a critical oiling issue on the viper - lack of Dry sump - the engine WILL spin bearing if driven hard.
So, if you actuially want to beat on it you can add aftermarket oiling for about 8K for a dry sump - you do need it.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Jon - you are right fo the uniqueness aspect.
BUT, I caution you on which car (at least engine) can you beat on. There is a critical oiling issue on the viper - lack of Dry sump - the engine WILL spin bearing if driven hard.
So, if you actuially want to beat on it you can add aftermarket oiling for about 8K for a dry sump - you do need it.

I agree, this is absolutely ridiculous... that's just as bad as having a car with lots of hp, but no brakes! or a lot of body work, but no power!!

****** me off everytime I think about it

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
The z06 engine does not make more hp or more tq then the viper motor, and push comes to shove, the viper v10 is FAR more capable of surviving higher HP increases then the z06 block is.

[/QUOTE]

well actually youre right and youre wrong with that statement. the new chevy motor actually puts out more HP over the v-10, but yes the v-10 has more TQ, but at the same time it weighs a little more. the z06 motor is pushing cylinder wall thickness very thin these days and therefore this makes the v-10 a little more tolerable to upgrades. the z06 motor will get better over the next couple of years, as chevy will bump up the HP ratings on the stock vette and the z06 to make room for the new camaro comming out, which will be in the 400 to 450 range, and then eventually the camaro ss will follow which will come out around 475 HP. the gen4 viper as well as the z07 will be over 600 hp as both companies are looking to compete with the european sports cars. ford is currently looking into goosing the GT to compete with whatever dodge and chevy intend on putting out.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Now that we are all talking about gears...

Does anyone sell a speedo/odometer recalibration box?? or do we need to do it only by re-programming the computer??