Zaino----question

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Does Zanio polish get rid of heavy swirl marks? I know a lot of waxes claim they do, but none of them really do. I wasn't sure if Zaino does this or not. If you have a good paint job already and put Zaino on it, then this thread does not apply to you. :smirk:

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 94 Nissan 300 ZX twinturbo and I purchased the Zaino kit for my 06 coupe. Thought what the Hale and used it on my 300 and nothing. The shine was ok but the swirl marks were still there. I think the only way to get rid of swirl marks is to have it wet sanded by a pro. Unless of course you know how to do that. I think Zaino is over rated. .02

Bill M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3M Imperial Hand Glaze works for getting rid of swirl marks. But it isnt a wax so after using it, you have to wax your car.

BDZ1984

Enthusiast
Reaction score
zaino is just a filler. It does not remove swirls.. I use Tropi-care great stuff take swirls out and the owner is a viper owner

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 94 Nissan 300 ZX twinturbo and I purchased the Zaino kit for my 06 coupe. Thought what the Hale and used it on my 300 and nothing. The shine was ok but the swirl marks were still there. I think the only way to get rid of swirl marks is to have it wet sanded by a pro. Unless of course you know how to do that. I think Zaino is over rated. .02

Im by no means an expert but I was very very disapointed with Zaino. It took too long even with the ZFX I think it is called. I used it on my Black C5 and I was never pleased with how it looked. It didnt seem to have any affect whatsoever. The wizards with the Meguirs seem to do the trick based on what i have seen.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont use zaino.

and if it did do anything, it would only hide the swirls but i doubt it would do anything

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zaino is not a swirl remover. Z5 will indeed fill minor...repeat..minor "swirls" or cobwebbing. The secret to any good detail is in the prep. There's no one step that will do it all. No product is magic.

You need to use an abrasive to cut down the paint and eliminate swirls. Zaino's Fusion is exceptionally good, and contains no oils that could hinder the final product's adhering to the finish. I found this works best with a PC machine and polishing pad. Run until dry...and the finish is flawless after wards. The more aggresive the defect, the more aggressive you'd apply the Fusion.

Bear in mind that most of the products sold as waxes, scratch removers, glazes, contain oils that do a few things. First, they make a short lived shine. Second, in the case of more aggresive "cleaners", they hide the minor scratching that the product induces. Third, simply hide defects that will re-surface in a short time.

IMO, you are far better off to remove the defects with something like Fusion...then apply a sealant to protect and shine the surface.

EDIT. I originally placed links here....but the thread starter says that if your paint is good...this thread does not apply.

For non-biased info, I'd suggest you try a non-manufacturer based detailing site like:

http://www.detailersclub.com/forums/

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Matt has mentioned above, the problem with 95% of the swirl and defect products on the market is that they only temporarily (VERY temporarily in most cases) hide the swirls by filling them in, but they soon reappear. I have never used the Zaino products, but I have used every other thats virtually on the market. I have used many McGuires priducts, the 3M products, the Menzerna and Pinnacle lines etc. I have used all types of pads from the foam to the more aggressive ones and have yet to find one of them even used with the PC that will permanently remove the swirls. Some are better than others but the swirls will come back. Of course, not as bad as they were but in the direct sunlight they can be seen. Need less to say, I am super critical on my own car.

I really think the only way to really do the job is with a circular polisher. The orbital polishers while much better than hand are not aggressive enough to really remove the swirls and not just mask them.

If someone has a proven combination of product and pad that will REMOVE and not just mask swirls with an orbital (dual action) I'd like to know what it is.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Matt has mentioned above, the problem with 95% of the swirl and defect products on the market is that they only temporarily (VERY temporarily in most cases) hide the swirls by filling them in, but they soon reappear. I have never used the Zaino products, but I have used every other thats virtually on the market. I have used many McGuires priducts, the 3M products, the Menzerna and Pinnacle lines etc. I have used all types of pads from the foam to the more aggressive ones and have yet to find one of them even used with the PC that will permanently remove the swirls. Some are better than others but the swirls will come back. Of course, not as bad as they were but in the direct sunlight they can be seen. Need less to say, I am super critical on my own car.

I really think the only way to really do the job is with a circular polisher. The orbital polishers while much better than hand are not aggressive enough to really remove the swirls and not just mask them.

If someone has a proven combination of product and pad that will REMOVE and not just mask swirls with an orbital (dual action) I'd like to know what it is.

Here is your proven combo.

Feel free to ask questions, but this covers all the bases. Proven for years and years...only 2 things get swirls and scratches out...Heat and an Abrasive.

1. Claybar your entire car, you can get claybars at any Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc...the brand doesn't matter. USE PLENTY OF LUBRICANT! A large spray bottle with some Dawn dishwashing soap works great...Wait until you see the contaminants the claybar pulls off...and "renew" the claybar often, just stretch it, reshape it like Silly Putty...If you drop it on the ground...throw it away...it will pick up small dirt/rocks, and you will scratch your paint's finish.

2. Swirls and Scratches......The easiest way to get rid of them is with a PC 7424 Random Orbital......with the "velcro foam pad adapter. Do NOT use the pads that come with the PC...especially the wool one.

3. To remove fine scratches and swirls, you'll need 6" YELLOW FOAM PADS... from www.topoftheline.com ...get about three of them. Also, you'll need a bottle of 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound. Put about a quarter sized amount of the 3M on the yellow pad, and at about 4000 rpms, work a 2 ft x 2ft area of your finish...(Tape up any crevices, like the black screens in the hood, this dust gets everywhere)...Keep the buffer moving, but go slow, and press hard enough to compress the YELLOW pad to half it's thickness...and when you think you are going slow enough, go slower...Heat (buffing pad) and abrasive (3M compound) are the only things that will remove swirls/scratches. BE CAREFULL AROUND ANY EDGES... AVOID EDGES...or sharp corners with your Buffer.

4. Once you have removed all of the swirls/scratches out of your clearcoat, you'll need the 6" BLACK FOAM PADS from www.topoftheline.com ...Also, a bottle of 3M Perfect-It™ III Finishing Glaze...for either DARK cars or for LIGHT cars...they make both...Now do the same as you did with the compound, only at 6000 rpms, again, pressing just hard enough to compress the pad to half it's thickness, which won't be as hard as the yellow pad was. This takes the finest of flaws out, and smooths your clearcoat to near perfection.

5. That should have taken you most of a weekend...if you stayed at it...You cannot mess this up with the Porter Cable...trust me...you could stand on that buffer with the beforementioned foam pads and not hurt your clearcoat...You have three coats of clear from the factory...15 years worth, if you did this every winter...The results will amaze you

6. Now, all you need is to apply many coats of whatever polish/wax you prefer, and when I say many, I mean at least 20...You can use the Porter Cable and WHITE FOAM PADS from www.topoftheline.com ...These are the softest pads available. Once you get a routine down, applying and removing one coat takes maybe 20 minutes.

7. I Use Zaino And Pinnacle Products. At least 7 coats of Zaino 1st. Then 3 coats of Pinnacle Wax over that....with a complete detailing spray of Pinnacle's Crystal Mist Carnuba spray in between EACH coat of wax/polish.
You can get the Pinnacle Spray from.... www.topoftheline.com or Pinnacle's website.

8. NEVER! Use anything but foam pads, or MicroFiber towels on your finish...The Viper's clearcoat is very soft, and scratches easy...As are the factory clearcoated rims.

9. Dusting...California Duster...Buy a new one every summer, use the old one on your wheels to remove the bulk of the brake dust. Next summer, same deal, buy a new one, old one goes to the wheels, the old old one goes either to the wifeys car or the trash...After each Dusting with the duster...spray Pinnacle and buff with a micro fiber towel. Do the rims too!!! Get a Large one for the Viper's Body, small ones for the rims. And a small one for the interior!

10. Now, you've got several coats of polish/wax and Pinnacle applied...Your Viper is looking pretty sweet...Take a brand new WHITE foam pad and at about 4000 rpms, go over the entire finish...yep...just a dry white finishing pad...Now do this after every Pinnacle application to really make your finish pop...

One other important point is the carefull washing of the rims and Viper. Use 2 pails...a wash/suds pail and a rinse pail. It makes no sense to re-apply dirt/grit from the suds pail. Most swirls are caused by a bad wash and dry job, and rim swirls are caused by applying too much pressure on them...pat them gently with lots of suds. Less is best, when it comes to pressure and washing/drying. Rinse the Viper and the rims off real well before you touch it with suds and a micro fiber towel. Do the side sills and rims last as they are a magnet for lots of dirt, and road tar, etc. Use Micro fiber towels to wash, dry, buff, and detail spray wiping.

Dave

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a small (1/2 inch) scratch on my back bumper. Showed up in the last week of September. Had a dark exhaust ash like look. I wonder if I caused it by polishing the bumper to remove the dark exhaust "dust", always there after any drive, and perhaps scratching the bumper. Stayed there through many washes, waxes, detailing ....

Was resigned to using touch up paint to fill in the scratch. After some research, I used some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. Looks MUCH better.

Tried a combo of the glaze and P21S Multi-Surface Finish Restorer Polish. Even better! To find the scratch, I had to use halogen lights and a magnifying glass.

1 cole

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get rid of swirls try Mequiars mirror glaze detailer.After owning two black street rods and trying everything else I went to a body shop supplier,he sold me a gallon and said if you do not like it I will give you double your money back. It is very easy to use. If applying by hand use a back and forth motion.Hope this helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32