Zerex Racing Super Coolant

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy Zerex Racing Super Coolant online? None, and I mean NONE of the local auto parts stores carry it.

Thanks!

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their web site now says:

Valvoline Racing Super Coolant is a cooling system corrosion inhibitor concentrate race-tested by Valvoline's Winston Cup team. It is proven to provide a 25% improvement in heat transfer over conventional glycol-based engine coolants. Available at NAPA.

Provides advanced anti-corrosion protection
Formulated to provide improved heat transfer
Prolongs the working life of water pumps and heat exchangers
Track-tested and proven by the Valvoline's NASCAR team
Part Number VV858
Size 32 oz.
UPC 74310-00858

However, I had to call them directly and when I ordered I had to place a $60 order. Try 1-800-TEAM VAL (1-800-832-6825)

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Yep, I read that, too. Tried 3 different NAPA stores, none of them had even heard of it, much less stocked it.

I'll buy $60 worth, even thought I don't need it. Anyone want to buy the excess?

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you feel like bothering to ship it I'll take a couple of quarts off your hands. I'll spring for the shipping costs of course. Quote me a price when you're able to.

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Figure $10 per quart. I paid about $63 for the 6-quart case, and I'll only need .625 quarts for a 95:5 water:coolant mix ratio. Are you running 95:5 or 90:10? I've heard of people using both ratios. I'm guessing the more water the better the heat transfer, but maybe 5% isn't enough for proper rust/corrosion protection?

Anyway, I'll keep 3 bottles for future use (enough for 4 changes), so I'll sell 3. Just let me know how many you want and your zip code and I'll figure out the total cost.

Thanks!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought that Nextel Cup cars used only water in their cooling systems for ease of cleanup / environmental issues
?

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Don't know if they do or don't, but supposedly if you only use water, sorrosion begins IMMEDIATELY. Read an article from C&D that said using just water in a new cooling system and running 35 laps on a racetrack, when drained, already had red flakes in it. Then again, it was the Zerex lead chemist saying this, so take it with a grain of salt. However, when I was in high school, my friend's POS Mustang had a hole in the radiator and he found it more cost effective to just keep refilling it with water than to get the hole fixed or replace the radiator. So even though it was constantly getting fresh water, twice/thrice daily, the stuff coming out would often have contaminants.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figure $10 per quart. I paid about $63 for the 6-quart case, and I'll only need .625 quarts for a 95:5 water:coolant mix ratio. Are you running 95:5 or 90:10? I've heard of people using both ratios. I'm guessing the more water the better the heat transfer, but maybe 5% isn't enough for proper rust/corrosion protection?

Anyway, I'll keep 3 bottles for future use (enough for 4 changes), so I'll sell 3. Just let me know how many you want and your zip code and I'll figure out the total cost.

You've got mail, on the board here.

I run a 90/10 mixture as recommended on the bottle and that seems to work fine. I think if you go less the law of diminishing returns may come into play. Less heat buildup but less protection also. If my memory serves me it takes just a tad over one quart to service the entire cooling system, assuming you drain the block and coolant recovery bottle.

I also use Roe's radiator cap with the sacraficial anode. web page It's the third item down on the page.

OP
OP
D

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
I might just use 1 quart at first and then test the fluid a couple weeks later for signs of corrosion.

1.28 quarts would be a 90:10 water:coolant ratio. 1 quart would be a bit over a 92:8 ratio.

How long have you used Zerex RSC and have you checked the system for corrosion?

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used it for a little over a year now. I'm no expert but I can't say I've noticed any corrosion. Just had my heads off and didn't notice any thing out of the ordinary, related to corrosion at least. My only delima was when I went to Vegas in the winter and even to Willow Springs in January, the temperatures got down to the high 20's. Since there is NO freeze protection I had to be specially cautious of an icy radiator.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a write-upo, this has the same corrosion protection as normal antifreeze but it is used without the glycol.

Same corrosion protection, less heat, no freeze protection.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4