0-100 MPH: SRT10 Coupe and Z06 - dyno sheet...

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Motor trend has a write up on the new Coupe with a table listing 0-60, 0-100, and 1/4 mile for the two cars.... no, the cars were not tested at the same time, but if the Z06 is really as fast/quick as they state..... it woudn't even be close race between the two....

I personally don't think the Z06 is this quick, but 0-100MPH in 7.3 seconds is amazing..... with the SRT10 Coupe over 2 full seconds behind?? that's a severe *** kicking.... no comparison....

I won't be selling my GTS for a Z06 no matter how quick it is, but I would definately sell it for a new Coupe if could perform like the Z06..... I mean really, they ran a 12.2 @ 118 MPH for the new Coupe, I have the original write up for the 1996 GTS..... and it ran 12.2 @ 119..... going on 10 YEARS AGO!!!

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 0-100 MPH: SRT10 Coupe and Z06

times aint right (waaaaaaaaaaay tooo slow). the official times are 3.9 (or 3.8?) 0-60 for the viper, 1/4 mile in 11.7. motortrend loves the vet and hates the viper.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

as for the vet the official 0-60 time for the vet is 3.7 (and usually GM official times are too fast). and 1/4 mile in 11.5

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

as for the vet the official 0-60 time for the vet is 3.7 (and usually GM official times are too fast). and 1/4 mile in 11.5

You got it wrong Motor Trend ran 11.5, GM is stating 11.7....

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Motor Trend doesn't hate the Viper at all. In fact they are the ones who got the best (11.77@124MPH) time from the SRT-10 Viper of any magazine, and called it a performance match for the Ford GT (before Ford raised the boost). :2tu:

But it's quite likey that they got a dud Viper for the test, or the track conditions were poor.

If you read the article, they noted that they had gotten better times on previous SRT-10 Vipers, and that this particular car was just slower. They also said that the numbers are not conclusive because they weren't done side-by-side, and that they are looking forward to being able to test the Z06 against the SRT-Coupe soon.

When reading this article I also thought about Popular Mechanic's test of the original GTS Viper, running 0-60 in 3.9 and the 1/4 mile in 11.9@119MPH, and many other tests that got 12.2 second Gen II Viper 1/4 mile times.

I do suspect that the true Z06 times will be closer to 12.0@122MPH, and hopefully DC won't deliver any more sub-par SRT-10 Coupes for auto journalists, when it comes time for the real head-to-head comparative tests against the Z06 and Europe's newer high performance cars. :cool:

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Check out the thread above this one.. A guy JUST drove his STOCK SRT-10 at the 1/4 and ran 11.9x at 123.x mph..

Gerald

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LG actually added a set of long tube headers to the new Z, and it made 484rwhp, and 460lbs of torque!! That is with stock cats, exhaust, and tuning!! This car is going to be a beast!

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I read a mag called MPH that had an autojournalist go to Woodward Ave for street racing and said he beat 2 Viper SRT 10s (a red and a white one) by 2-3 carlengths with a loaned black new Z06. He had snap shots of the action as well as with a older GT500 and said he crushed all but the 2 nitrous fed cars at the end of the night. (Firebird and Mustang)
The cover was titled American Heros or something like that. There was a new red SRT Coupe that they gave a great write up on. Pardon my lack of reference accuracy but I was reading in Orlando Int'l Airport during a long layover today. Anybody else see the mag I am referring to possibly with a similar name.

SurfnSun

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LG actually added a set of long tube headers to the new Z, and it made 484rwhp, and 460lbs of torque!! That is with stock cats, exhaust, and tuning!! This car is going to be a beast!

Actually, the car has now made 492rwhp and 472rwtq. It has headers, redline oil, high flow cats, and no air filter on the dyno. This car is phenominal.

ccbatson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The MPH article is entertaining but suspicious on a number of points. First, For those familiar with the Woodward cruise, a Saturday night in August is not going to lend itself to 120 mph sprints without traffic making it a very dangerous (and irresponsible) thing to do alone, let alone racing another car. Next, the last race with the 2 modded pony cars is said to have been run on a 1/4 mile stretch near 13 mile road and Woodward (right behind a large hospital center, btw)...same problem as before (except now with 3 cars), plus, there is no such 1/4 mile stretch at that location, and lastly, a modded mustang and firebird would be so traction limited that, unless running on slicks with 8 lbs of pressure plus heavily modded suspensions, they would be very very hard pressed to hook up well enough to beat a C6 Z06 with its soft and wide rear treads....not impossible, but very unlikely.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DIdn't GenII's from 96 to 99 respond about the same way to Headers, cats, smooth tubes mods? Didn't they get about another 40 or so rwhp?

G

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

DIdn't GenII's from 96 to 99 respond about the same way to Headers, cats, smooth tubes mods? Didn't they get about another 40 or so rwhp?

G

Yes, they did. This is due to the 96-99 cars having 6 degrees more overlap (closer/lower LSA) on their cam grinds. Since the ZO6's are running a smaller displacement engine with comparable HP numbers, it is a good bet they are running a much more aggressive cam grind than the SRT-10, which is why they would respond better to mods related to upper end RPM (Long tube headers). However, Why the SRT-10 does not come with the 708/comp coupe cam from the factory is BEYOND me. they already had the research, parts on hand, and tuning for the Comp Coupe Engine- WHY NOT USE IT!?!?!?!?!

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

and lastly, a modded mustang and firebird would be so traction limited that, unless running on slicks with 8 lbs of pressure plus heavily modded suspensions, they would be very very hard pressed to hook up well enough to beat a C6 Z06 with its soft and wide rear treads....not impossible, but very unlikely.
Low 11s, high 10s on street tires with stock suspensions is very, very common. How is it that you think it's easy for a corvette to hook up, but a car with vastly superior rear suspension geometry (for drag racing) and (probably) much better street tires somehow needs slicks to put down even slightly better numbers?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, yesterday I finally got side by side with a new Z06. It was fairly impressive. The sound was awesome, especially for a stock car. I cannot really tell if it was as quick as a stock SRT, but from a 40 mph roll it did seem quicker (that may be a good speed for a start for the Z06 given its gear ratio).

And the bottom line. Well lets just say when we did the first roll on from 80 mph I smoked the tires by going to 2nd initially. So he got a quick jump on me. Then I went to third and left him like he was standing still.

From a slower speed, where I am really traction limited, the Z06 stuck with me pretty good. It seemed as if his traction was on par or possibly better than the stock run flats (we NEED better tires). Once in second gear though the two are as close as an SUV is to a stock SRT.

BTW on the same drive a Subura with a big wing, fart can and what appeared all of the performance goodies and with a plate "BEAT A V8" or something like that tried me from an 80 roll on. Ha, hardly worth the gas. I am pretty sure I would have wupped that car with 2 plug wires removed.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

im gonna join that forum just so i can say how ******** they are.

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

GR8 ASP,

I look forward to my first 2006, Z-06 meal.

OP
OP
F

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you guys act like it's something to take down 500HP car with an 800+HP car..... don't get me wrong, blown Viper's are awesome, but I don't see the big deal in the comparison.....

GR8 ASP,

I look forward to my first 2006, Z-06 meal.

ccbatson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 99 ss with vortech (and etc) at the track will run high 11s as you suggest. However that is at the track with street slicks and low tire pressure after warming up the tires on a very sticky track. The C6 Z06 has 13.5 inch wide rears, weighs 3100 lbs (versus 3400+), and tests in street attire and street conditions with a seasoned driver solidly in the mid 11s. BTW my 03 srt10 with minimal mods runs slightly slower (high elevens) in street regalia. My former 02 c5 Z06 with similarly modest mods would run low 12s, but could be easily repeated all day long. The loose reared and heavy pony cars with serious HP are a bear to get to hook up. Now, we are supposed to believe that a C6 Z06, and these 2 street pony cars lined up on a nonexistent 1/4 mile strip near the wildely busy and traffic laden Woodward dream cruise on a clear Saturday night and trounced the c6 Z06 without burning up/blowing up, or falling apart driven by a couple of amateurs......pure fiction....albeit an entertaining yarn, I must admit. Those WRITERs (not real drivers) at MPH can write some very entertaining stuff (I loved the article on the 10 biggest misconceptions 2 months ago....I still laugh out loud every time I read it).

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't believe for a minute that the z06 lined up with anything. I'm simply taking issue with the assertion that, on the street, a modified f-body or mustang would have significantly more trouble putting down its power than the z06.

SurfnSun

Enthusiast
Reaction score

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I ignored that MPH article BS. Anyone who has driven Woodward in August knows without a doubt that you cannot race up to 120 mph anywhere near Woodward and 13 Mile Rd. Impossible. Squeal your tires there and you will find several police within a second or two. That has to be the most policed region in US. And in August. Yeh. For those that do not know there is an event called the Woodward Dream cruise that takes place the 3rd week of August. Causes Woodward to be heavy traffic for almost the entire month.

And regarding the stock Z06 with drag radials getting in the 10's. Yeh right, I am sure they sell them things with drag radials. And from what I hear they will need reprogramming to prevent the controller from torque managing it. Course a new computer and drag radials would be "bone stock" to the vette crowd.

SurfnSun

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And regarding the stock Z06 with drag radials getting in the 10's. Yeh right, I am sure they sell them things with drag radials. And from what I hear they will need reprogramming to prevent the controller from torque managing it. Course a new computer and drag radials would be "bone stock" to the vette crowd.

Typical ricer type response, keep making excuses. No where did I say they sell Z's with DRs. The first time has been reported.... has been posted at 11.6 @125. Sounds pretty good to me on runflat tires.

If a stock motored Z06 on DRs goes 10s what excuses will you make then? Gee what if it goes 11.0, that would just be terrible for a stock car on good tires huh? :rolleyes:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And not to mention that people are already saying that you need to disconnect and reconnect the battery to erase the powertrain controller for each run to avoid torque management. To keep it "stock" you will need to put one of those marine battery switches inside for a quick reset for that second run of the night.

And Surf, since you referred to me as a ricer, I just wanted to let you know my "stock" SRT already has walked an 06 Z06. Course my definition of stock is as loose as yours.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score