'00 ACR Catalytic converters.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible to wrap the catalytic converters with header wrap to keep down the crazy heat that burns everything in the side pods?
The test pipes were ok for keeping everything nice and cool, but I'm tired of breathing gas fumes since I installed the 4-box Borla system, and the cabin noise is simply too much for a daily driver.

Any other tricks to insulate the cats other than changing the original liners.

OP
OP
T

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Wrapping it it is.
I wonder why they didn't put those things outside like the muffler, instead of in completely inclosed rocker panels!

It's not a Bricklin or an early XJ-S! Now those cars had some dusy systems that couldn't possibly work.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to remember reading that wrapping the cats is a bad idea. It contains the heat in the converter causing it to burn out. Without the heat escaping the converter fries itself. I also think there is a possible fire danger. Maybe others can comment more conclusively but after some thought it makes sense, if they could have been wrapped to drop the heat Dodge would have done it.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you read the most recent Viper mag, Herb H. aka The Grail Keeper, advises DO NOT wrap the Cats !

Cats are designed to operate ina certian heat range and wrapping them will more than likely burn them up prematurely. Just remove them or go with high flow models. All in all wrapping any part of the exhaust, with the possible exception of headers, is a BAD idea.

OP
OP
T

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They'll stay in the back shed for now I guess. It's just that I used to like the smell my viper made before, and now it stinks of fumes.
Being the 21st century, I've even gotten comments from people driving behind me about it.

I figured just wrapping the cats souded too easy.