04 SRT-10 Black - $79K and no Tax if Sold soon!!

dangerous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the deal. Have a Black 04 SRT-10 on the way. I have the VIN and car scheduled to be here (in Ca) late April. Car is coming from a dealer (my friend) in Texas. Car is brand new from factory and will be delivered to you from dealer directly. As long as you are an out of state (texas) resident you will pay NO TAX. I'm sure you all know sticker is $84,795 not counting tax so you will be saving around 10K at $79K delivered!

Why am I selling, Just got a hell of a deal on a GT2 and can't swing both rides. If you have any questions or concerns e-mail me [email protected] or call (818) 606-0026 and I can put you in touch with the dodge dealer to confirm. You can pay cash or finance though him at 3.99% depending on your credit. This is a favor only deal and can be passed on to another within the next week or so. After that anyone I sell the car to after it's in my name will have to pay tax.

Not often deals like this come along. I know this isn't the classifieds but I know here it will get to the right people.

Thanks

Eric

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry Dangerous, but this is misleading. We and many other Viper Dealers sell cars all over the country, and in virtually all States ( there are a few exceptions ) taxes are never collected. The reason is quite simple, they ( the buyer ) will have to pay for them in their own State. Sorry, but you won't be saving anyone any taxes, and heck, we have 4 Black ones in stock for immediate delivery. Figured this would have saved you one furious buyer after he found out that taxes were still a concern.

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Viper
1-800-889-1893

OP
OP
D

dangerous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice of you to chime in but if one buys a car out of state and receives a car registered to him in that state, all he has to do then is transfer the registration to his state paying only the reg fees. I have done it 3 times. Sorry I didn't explain all the nitty details but I thought I could to that to the buyer. Thanks for looking out for them though.

E

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tax will be due when someone registers it in their state. Also, invoice is $77,800 +/- so you might want to "check" the friend status because he is already making over $2300 on holdback.

OP
OP
D

dangerous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the invoice price I have it in front of me. I never said the personn was geting it at dealer invoice. And I have bought 3 cars this way, my GT2 included. Think of it as someone bringing a registered car of theirs to another state and registering it there. Do they pay tax? No. Just resgistering fees. Anyway just thought I'd pass along some savings. Again thanks for your concern.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice of you to chime in but if one buys a car out of state and receives a car registered to him in that state, all he has to do then is transfer the registration to his state paying only the reg fees. I have done it 3 times. Sorry I didn't explain all the nitty details but I thought I could to that to the buyer. Thanks for looking out for them though.

E

That is absolutely wrong.Doesnt work that way.You pay tax when you register no matter what state the car came from.You got lucky.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"As long as you are an out of state (texas) resident you will pay NO TAX."

WARNING, NOT TRUE!! This depends on the state you are bringing it into. You will not save tax based on YOUR states laws, check them out FIRST! AND, California has some interesting complications based on bringing a car in out of state, it you are a CA resident check it out first. I think I would just stay away, great deals can be obtained through Woodhouse, Tator, Roanoke, Ringgold without having to play games with some guy who thinks he's gone back to the future when you had to know an owner with a certificate to get an srt. All you need now is a great dealer with a substantial stock of cars. NO reason to deal with a guy like this. Sorry dude.

OP
OP
D

dangerous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see where this back and forth is going so I'll just leave everyone to their "expert" opinion. I have bought three cars this way and several people at my office and friends have as well. I guess we all got "lucky" if that's possible at a DMV. No harm meant. Just exposing a loop hole that obviously many people do not know about.

E

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Nice of you to chime in but if one buys a car out of state and receives a car registered to him in that state, all he has to do then is transfer the registration to his state paying only the reg fees. I have done it 3 times. Sorry I didn't explain all the nitty details but I thought I could to that to the buyer. Thanks for looking out for them though."

WRONG!! Depends on state law. And almost ALL still require you to pay sales tax, in fact I challenge you to do the research to find out who doesn't!!

OP
OP
D

dangerous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I was targeting this towards Ca residents. Of course I would expect anyone to do their DD and find out their local laws ect. This is NOT illegal.

Good to see people are looking out for others here. Like I said just trying to pass some savings.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I see where this back and forth is going so I'll just leave everyone to their "expert" opinion. I have bought three cars this way and several people at my office and friends have as well. I guess we all got "lucky" if that's possible at a DMV. No harm meant. Just exposing a loop hole that obviously many people do not know about."
-----------------------------------------------------------

So it's such a good deal, get "lucky" one more time. Buy the car and resell. Do you really think we are so stupid as to not recognize an an attempt at a flip to make yourself a little money on a car you decided you did not want? I'm not usually this agressive but this is just so obvious it offends my sense of " Whaddya think we're stoopid"!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I was targeting this towards Ca residents. Of course I would expect anyone to do their DD and find out their local laws ect. This is NOT illegal.

Good to see people are looking out for others here. Like I said just trying to pass some savings.

I see what you are saying......maybe it will work for someone, they just need to check it out. I'm all for beating any tax possible. No matter of opinion, thanks for posting.

OP
OP
D

dangerous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even I would be skeptical after reading the back and forth on this entry. LOL

Never thought I'd get a pouncing like this. But no prob. I'll sell it locally or to a friend. Seriously you should look into it though. Saves quite a bit if you go through cars like I do. And it may be that it's a California only loop.

have a great weekend.

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dangerous,
What happened? 5 days ago you were asking about whether to mod or not? Also, what state was this car going to be already registered in? Not Texas. 6.25% or no title if from MSO.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing dangerous here is the really really bad advice that is being given by 'dangerous'.

In CA you will pay tax on this transaction. Its not being skeptical, its being realistic.

I suppose you are also one of those guys that pays no income tax as well. :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: ;)

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
NJ Too. Sales Tax (6%) is paid at time of registration .... unless purchasing directly from a dealer, who may process the taxes for you.

The bottom line, in NJ, ANY vehicle purchased, at time of registration, is taxable at 100% purchase price, AND if they compare the purchase price to their "fare market value" table, and it is outside the realm of fare and reasonable deviation, it creates a letter requesting full documentation of bill of sale, sellers name, etc.

I'm sure most states are similar.

The only "loophole" in NJ is if you trade in a vehicle at time of purcase of new vehicle, you just pay sales tax on the net difference of the two vehicles.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NJ Too. Sales Tax (6%) is paid at time of registration .... unless purchasing directly from a dealer, who may process the taxes for you.

The bottom line, in NJ, ANY vehicle purchased, at time of registration, is taxable at 100% purchase price, AND if they compare the purchase price to their "fare market value" table, and it is outside the realm of fare and reasonable deviation, it creates a letter requesting full documentation of bill of sale, sellers name, etc.

I'm sure most states are similar.

The only "loophole" in NJ is if you trade in a vehicle at time of purcase of new vehicle, you just pay sales tax on the net difference of the two vehicles.
Exactly the same in Georgia and Florida.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3% "vehicle" tax (special sales tax) in VA and NC upon registration, though you can (and most) just pay it when you buy the car in-state (because then the taxes fold into the financed amount, instead of being out-of-pocket).

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Things have changed alot in California and your advice can cause alot of headaches. Consumers now have only 20 days to pay taxes on out of State purchases or heavy fines can be levied. You may have done something 3 times, but the only item you may have caused is an audit on yourself. I would suggest you just mention someone can get a car from your Dealer and leave taxation advice alone, as no one can know all the State laws, and this broad statement of yours can only cause trouble. We have 4 in stock, and we will wisely advise that taxes will need to be paid in the State each customer resides.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid less than $79K for my new 2004 SRT-10 a month ago (in Colorado.) I can't imagine anyone paying MSRP these days.

sportsdude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid less than $79K for my new 2004 SRT-10 a month ago (in Colorado.) I can't imagine anyone paying MSRP these days.
I have to agree. I can purchase a new 2004 Viper for $77,180 (out the door price, no addition)at my location. Unfortunately, 2004 is not available but can order a 2005 for the same price.

grayman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This post is very misleading. I own several title agencies where cars are tagged and titled nationwide. You ALWAYS pay sales tax somewhere. As a buyer, whether new or used vehicle, you pay tax to the state in which you register your vehicle, NOT the state you buy it from. What danger is saying I think, is that a car allready registered to an owner who decides to move to another state will not pay tax twice. Meaning tax was paid once in 1 state and then not to another when the vehicle is transferred to that 2nd state. EVEN this is not always true. States are greedy and taxes are not something they easily let you out of. Trust me, when you buy an 04 viper, you WILL pay tax somewhere. To where is the $100 question.

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid 4% in Michigan and 2.25% in Texas when I did a factory pick up. Car was never titled in Michigan but they took a chunk any way. Texas was nice enough to recognize that and reduce theirs accordingly.

OP
OP
D

dangerous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After looking into it further Joseph touched on what goes on to Avoid the Tax. I don't do the actual paperwork and shifting around but I do know it involves making the transaction seem as though there was a trade-in involved. I guess you just need someone with the ability and know how to get it done.

All I know from my part is when the vehicle gets to me I am just transferring reg from out of state to Ca. No sales transaction what so ever. And no tax. Obviously this is better done with a friend where this can be explained in person and walked through than over a message board. My bad. But was not trying to burn anyone. I found a buyer regardless.

And yes I will get one eventually. I just don't want to float the weight of the GT2 and my other cars. After I sell one of my other cars I'll order another and be back in the viper world. Sorry for the confusion all.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Please stop,as this is incorrect. You could be jeopardizing your friend and his Dealership by stating you can get a phony trade in to alleviate taxes. This is not even an issue in California, as you do not pay taxes on the difference, but on the full amount - so a trade in is not relevant. I have no idea why you are insistent about how you can avoid taxes when there is no way you know the laws in all 50 States - I know I do not. But you have posted for everyone to see what you have done, and what you are suggesting should be done. I would not expose yourself anymore, nor would I continue this irresponsible posturing that could damage your friendship with a Dealer in Texas.

OP
OP
D

dangerous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like i said car is sold. Over with. Nothing is done illegal. As I stated I am not exactly sure how's done. We can move on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang