04 SRT- Need Some Help - Engine running badly

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Calling out for some help on this one. A friend of mine buys a 2004 SRT with only 18k miles a month ago. He bought a Viper because I talked him into it. He bought it less than a month ago from a dealer in Chicago and has put less than 1k miles on it since owning it. He’s never owned one before and its bone stock down to the air filters. I preached that in his case a bone stock Viper would suite his needs and he would have the least amount of problems with it over a modded one – not always but in general that’s true about anything. Well…………..this car has proved me wrong. Two weeks ago when it was 100+ degrees here we went on a cruise together. On that day his car had a big time miss to it and it was running very poor / loss of power as he put it. He went around me once and I could smell the fumes (saw dark smoke too – seemed to be running rich). We got to our destination and he said the car is not running right. I said it’s probably the Heat.:rolaugh: Check engine light wasn’t on nor had it ever been on. I noted that the plugs / wires were all original so I suggested it wouldn’t hurt to do the wires / plugs. A good call since it’s almost 9 yrs old right? So he did. He bought Ab’s wires and put in new plugs. Well…….no change at all and it has absolutely no power and it bogs when you first hit the gas. I told him to bring it over and I’ll look at it. On the way over to my house it finally threw a check engine light. Now I’ve not worked on this car prior to this nor have I driven it. I’ve given the above background info so you’ll know what I got myself into

Here’s what I do know
I wanted to see the code it had thrown so I went to scan it with my scanner (Matco proscan or similar to an OTC Nemisys) and it wouldn’t link ? Said “Communication error “ My scanner is updated to 2009 and it is not a cheap scanner for a DYI’er like myself. Anyway the car is a 2004 (10[SUP]th[/SUP] digit) and my scanner wanted the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Vin and it only opted for an ‘R”. The car has a “Z” as the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Vin. So I went up a year to a 2005 and it did have the “Z” for an option. Great well same thing “Communication error” WTH? Anyway if I went thru the general OBDII option I finally got thru and the code was PO172B – Did a search here and not much out there on that code – but I know it’s a Rich / Bank 1
Anyway I checked Fuel pressure (55 – ok) I checked IAC (Good) with the scanner hooked up I could see general data stream and all other sensors seemed to be ok (TPS & O2 sensors ) – nothing out of the ordinary right. I then suspected the battery because I know vipers act funny when it comes to a weak battery. Voltage on old battery checked 12.5 / Interstate brand – no date on battery so I had no idea how old it was. Owner wanted a new one so I installed that. No change at all in how it runs. Starts right up / Engine bogs / stalls badly when the TB’s are first cracked open. Similar to a carbed car with a bad accelerator pump. Falls on its face then takes a few secs for the engine to catch up. And it doesn’t really rev like it should. At WOT it gets there slowly / very slowly. Owner threw old plugs away but to him they looked normal. He said they looked lean (light in color) if anything. No dark fouled plugs. I’ve checked all fuses and none are blown. It seems that it can get hot fast but I’m not pushing it.

The reason I’m posting this up here is because where or what should I check next?
Coil packs? Compression check (what should it be) or clogged cats ? Where would you start?

kblake905

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like my car when I first bought it, turned out to be a plugged cat, a good mechanic with the proper tools can pull an oxygen sensor and look inside the cat. Good luck!

chesapeake07

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^^+1

Clogged Cat. Just fixed mine. It was clogged between the first and second cat on drivers side.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
vipert96 said: "He bought it less than a month ago from a dealer in Chicago". Would that be from a Dodge dealer, other branded dealer, or a broker???

As you are sorting through the current issue(s), check the crank damper bolt since it IS a 2004 model !!!

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have seen a bad cat. That was a bad pcm that made a bad cat. Also have had bad coil packs.

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
May want to have him take to the nearest Dodge Dealership. To Check the in service date. Powertrain and/or Emissions might still be covered :)

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vipert96 said: "He bought it less than a month ago from a dealer in Chicago". Would that be from a Dodge dealer, other branded dealer, or a broker???

As you are sorting through the current issue(s), check the crank damper bolt since it IS a 2004 model !!!

Thanks Steve - He bought at a broker type (exotic) dealer. No warranty implied / as is but probably one of the cleanest Vipers I've seen. I will check the damper bolt while I'm at it. I'm going after the cats / makes the most sense - he wants a little more sound anyway. probably buy Roe's cat set up

Funny how the car starts right up and idles fine though

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May want to have him take to the nearest Dodge Dealership. To Check the in service date. Powertrain and/or Emissions might still be covered :)

I'll have him call - we just figured the warranty would be up on an 8 year old car (mileage ok but years?)

xRUSTYx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll have him call - we just figured the warranty would be up on an 8 year old car (mileage ok but years?)

I thought the same thing ... But my dealer checked mine today (PCM Issues) - And the emission warranty is 8 years/96,000 miles or something around there. 8 years for sure ... Looked it up, and my emissions warranty isn't up until Dec 2013 :)

I'd have him call with his VIN # and check :)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Definitely check the PCM. Should be able to find a "good one" to borrow from someone locally for a test.

Also, based on some of the symptoms you describe, i.e. "plugs looked "lean" installed new plugs and wires", it may be a fuel issue. Sometimes injectors get dirty when the car sits for long periods. I use Red Line fuel system cleaner regulary on my Vipers as I don't have as much time to drive them as I'd like.

Pull the injectors and have them cleaned and flowed. This is cheap, easy to do and will eliminate this as an issue.

Another test you can run is to hook up a fuel pressure gage and rev the engine to see if the fuel pressue drops with rpm. If so, install a new fuel filter as they can clog and something might have gotten into the fuel tank..... and definitely check the cats.

Good luck,

Dan

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the good advice. Both cats are off and my initial assessment is that the drivers cat is bad. when handling it i can hear all kinds of stuff rattle inside and then when i shook it all kinds of dark crap/metal looking stuff fell out. I've been taking pics so I will post them up for reference but it's getting too late for me to do it tonight. There's also evidence of some serious heat from that side. I had also ran it for a few minutes before starting the task tonight and when I got down to the cats one was 87 and the other cat was 100 so one is running hotter than the other. I also started it for about 5 seconds (open exhaust) and it was very responsive - like it should be but then again I don't and won't know for sure until I get it all back together. The owner doesn't want to mess with the dealer/warranty because he wants a little better exhaust note going with Roe's high flow cats or something similar. We're not going back to 4 cats that's for sure.

And Dan you're right I think the injector cleaning is a great idea. I had somone from here do mine (bench flow) some years ago and I'm currently archiving some of my old emails as he did a great job. And as far as Fuel filter do you happen to know the part number ? I think we'll do that as well

chesapeake07

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice but how does a Cat go bad on a car with only 18k miles

On my car...the honeycomb broke free and got clogged sideways in the elbow. It created a major flow restriction on that side. The heat wasn't that different but sound and a few CELs started me down that road. I couldn't tell as much with stock exhaust but after removing the crossover and adding borla cat back the sound was very different on each side. I opted for high flow metal random tech cats and all is better . It runs and sounds great.

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Viperrt96,

"Dan you're right I think the injector cleaning is a great idea. I had somone from here do mine (bench flow) some years ago and I'm currently archiving some of my old emails as he did a great job. And as far as Fuel filter do you happen to know the part number ? I think we'll do that as well[/QUOTE]"

Sounds like you found the primary culprit, i.e. the clogged cats. Seems more and more common as these cars age a bit.

Call Viper Parts America for the fuel filter. They should have it in stock. Don't have a spare one at this time, so sorry, don't know the part number.

On the cats, I prefer to use an OE secondary cat, one on each side in the sill, which are 2.5 inches but can be "necked up" to 3 inches if you'd like to run a 3-inch cat back. These are pretty available, last longer and are less costly than the aftermarket ones. Also, I can pass the "sniffer" here in CA with only two of these cats on my supercharged car.

Good luck,

Dan

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 04 SRT- Need Some Help - Engine running badly - Updated w/pics

Showing signs of some serious heat (drivers side)

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 2012-07-18_19-14-57_96.jpg
    2012-07-18_19-14-57_96.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cut the lower / 2nd cat off and all of this stuff fell out - It appears the upper cat fell apart and the debri from that clogged the lower cat

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cut the passenger side open and this is what one should see - everything intact right ?

This is our culprit of a crappy running Viper

Totally plugged - What a piece of crap cats these cars have :curse:

Last edited:

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Viperrt96,

I do a lot viper viper service work, This is a Gen 3 problem. The exhaust maniflods crack > the oxygen sensor reads lean > the PCM adds fuel > cat gets plugged. Changing the Cat will fix the car for the short term, The size of the crack will determin how long they last for the second time.

I had a first time customer bring there 2003 to me and when I checked the Chrysler service history it had six sets of Cats. I removed the exhaust manifolds and both were cracked. He actually bought the car cheap because the previous owner was fed up with the car. The vehicle still even had basic warranty.

Replacing the cats without removing the manifolds, cutting the heat sheild off and inspecting the inside of the header is a big mistake.

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Viperrt96,

I do a lot viper viper service work, This is a Gen 3 problem. The exhaust maniflods crack > the oxygen sensor reads lean > the PCM adds fuel > cat gets plugged. Changing the Cat will fix the car for the short term, The size of the crack will determin how long they last for the second time.

I had a first time customer bring there 2003 to me and when I checked the Chrysler service history it had six sets of Cats. I removed the exhaust manifolds and both were cracked. He actually bought the car cheap because the previous owner was fed up with the car. The vehicle still even had basic warranty.

Replacing the cats without removing the manifolds, cutting the heat sheild off and inspecting the inside of the header is a big mistake.

Wow cracking manifolds and defective cats. Well I dont believe cracking manifolds and lean /rich conditions is the main culprit for failing cats. I think the cats are just a piece if s#!T to start with

I posted this in another thread but it's in reference to my thoughts about what I see as a flaw in the Gen3 cats

I’m going out on a limb here but I would be willing to bet catalytic failures on GenIII’s are more of an issue than GenI head gaskets ! :rolaugh: Anyway I’ll tell you why. The cat design on these is horrible! The first cat (upper) that is right off the exhaust manifold has a 3” inlet 2.5” outlet and all in a span of about 7”. You consider that pressure (Exhaust) at its greatest (collector) point going thru a restricted (2.5”) outlet in that small of a span (7”) – factor in the heat and no wonder they come apart clogging the lower

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even the Roe cats will only last a couple of months if you do have any type of leak with a manifold. A cat needs a perfect balance of fuel and air or it will fail. To rich or lean will cause damage, below is a power point that I use to teach my students. Slides 75 to 78 may help you understand what is happening.

http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://f...EQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHdbBypoGIi2jvqzqeLTuDyBwgOUg

PS: even a neon cat has a bigger inlet then outlet

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow cracking manifolds and defective cats. Well I dont believe cracking manifolds and lean /rich conditions is the main culprit for failing cats. I think the cats are just a piece if s#!T to start with

I posted this in another thread but it's in reference to my thoughts about what I see as a flaw in the Gen3 cats
viperrt96, unless you have experience working with Viper's I'd suggest that you let your friend decide on whether to take garron's advice, it sounds pretty good to me.

If this were a design problem with the cats, I see no reason why one side would be totally destroyed, and the other side near perfect. It sure does sound like garron's scenario is highly probable. The other possibility is just a failed O2 sensor. Maybe it was replaced previously but only after the cat was damaged as a result.

If you don't take garron's advice as perhaps an "unknown" expert, then contact Tator. ( A good doctor never begrudges a second opinion. )

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if i'm in the minority; but the first thing I thought after reading this thread was " Chicago Lemon Laws "...Your friend just bought a 2004 Vert with 18k miles..he had to have paid some where between 45 to 50 thousand.. That's a lot of money to be spending then still have to turn around and fix your car. I would find out what the lemon laws are for Chicago and if the car is still covered, I would have the dealer I bought it from pay for repair costs. I had a similar problem when I bought my 2004 Vert, I'm no mechanic but I was armed with The New York State Lemon Laws...and with the Fine help of Chuck Tator my wonderful car was fixed perfectly with minimal cost to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate everyones advice and that's why I post here. Places like this is where the experts are. I'm not oblivious to that condition but in most cases the leak has to be pretty big to create what Garron is describing. It would also then be an exhaust leak one could / should hear. I didn't hear anything when it was running. Anyway what a complete waste of my time. Curiosity got to me and I pulled off the drivers side manifold. No crack. I was saying to myself prior to pulling the manifold I couldn't see (externally) nor did I hear any evidence of a leak. You may have it backwards. Gen3 has faulty cats / faulty cats = back pressure+heat that cracks manifolds. Either or in my case my manifold is not cracked.

As far as the owner we're good friends. He bought it as is. To me that's "As is = no warranty" Cars break Viper or not. The car was running fine when he bought it. The car just deteriorated to the point it wouldn't run. We both also agreed that who would want it back like factory (stock) anyway. Where we live we're not required to emissions so we're contemplating our options. It's a shame the cat has to be right off the manifold / collector beacuse the downstream O2 sensor is right behind the first cat and in front of the second. Unlike my viper where it's in the rear and my cat is in the side sill. If it was my choice that's how I would do this one. I would keep the second and ditch the first(top).

Well anyway I post here for both advice and opinion. My opinion is just that my opinion. The only Viper tech my car has seen in the past 12 years is me. This Viper is the 4th one I've worked on besides mine. Does that qualify me as a Viper tech. No but what about Chryslers Service record (Garrons post) on the owner who had 6 sets of cats on his 2003 Viper. I would assume Chrysler only has Viper service techs do those. Well.............I'm no Viper tech but I will tell you this. When I do my work......... I do it right the first time. :rolaugh:

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a handle on the situation, but if you run into any issues, a call to Chuck Tator would be well worth your time. Cut the cats out completely and upgrade the exhaust at least to a Gen IV if not a Corsa. That will cure several issue including excessive heat in the cabin. :2tu: