'08 Oil Change Interval 3k miles?

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sched. B recommends an oil change every 3k miles for an '08. Is this unique to the '08 due to the vvt, as a result of changes in viscosity, or is this also recommended for the Gen-3 cars? Synthetic is usually good for 10k miles for a schedule B, and 15k miles for a schedule A on most other cars. 10 quarts of synthetic every 3k miles is wild.

I was recently under my car for my first 500 mile oil change. Had to order filters from my local dealer, who didn't have any in stock. I love the easy access to the oil filter (a hell of a lot better than LSx motors I've been living with, where the pan wraps around the filter in the rear). I had to stare at the oil pan for a couple of minutes in awe - I've never seen an oil pan that was so large/long before. That's one huge oil pan.

Last edited:

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cheap insurance change your oil,filter every 3000 miles or at least 2 xs a year if you dont drive much.also ck your oil level from time to time will burn a little oil under hard driving conditions.good idea to change the rear diff fluid and than change every 5000 miles imo

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cheap insurance change your oil,filter every 3000 miles or at least 2 xs a year if you dont drive much.also ck your oil level from time to time will burn a little oil under hard driving conditions.good idea to change the rear diff fluid and than change every 5000 miles imo

Good advice; the 2008 service manual actually recommends checking the oil level after you fill the car with gas.

/Rich

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do an oil analysis on the oil to make sure the vehicle and your driving style dictate 3000 mile oil changes.

I use Mobil 1 Syn in our five vehicles and usually do 5000 mile to 7500 mile oil changes. Two of the five are forced induction (S/C and Turbo).

You might be wasting money doing oil changes that early, however I might be wrong.

A professional oil analysis will answer all these questions first.

Check out Bob Is The Oil Guy for all the facts on oil and lubrication (no I am not affiliated with that site)

Tim

OP
OP
C

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I''ve never sent my oil in for an analysis, but I'm curious and probably will give it a try. I also run a 427 SC at 14lbs, and change my oil (Mobil-1 15-50w) every 3k miles, along w. my blower oil. I can justify the change interval, due to the added pressure/blow-by.

We all grew up having to change organic oil every 3k miles, I just haven't heard of a NA motor that calls for a 3k mile oil change using synthetic. Maybe the added blow-by from the 2 add'l cylinders :dunno:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think some of the additives they used to put in oil have been banned too, so I am not so sure it lasts like it used to last. I wonder if the 'old' manuals take into account the new additives. Bottom line, I think everyone should go with 3k mile intervals on anything worth the money.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know how bmw offers free service till 50k miles ... well they recommend oil change at 15k,30k and 45k so basically all you get is 3 free oil changes... of course when u go in for the 60k service then it is time for everything to be changed and that one is on you

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
good thinking

It's a waste of money.

Are you all also changing out Diff and tranny fluids at the same intervals, not to mention brake, coolant, etc?

Seriously, wouldn't it make more sense to know the facts and put the money you'd spend on premature oil changes into mods or vacations?

I can afford to change out 11 quarts every 3000 miles, but why bother if the oil used can sufficiently protect the engine for much longer, with analysis facts backing up the decision?

I don't understand the Jiffy Lube 3k Mantra. Oils have come a LONG way in the past 20 years, especially synthetics.

Mobil 1 and Pennzoil platinum are probably two of THE BEST over the counter syn oils you can buy.

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You know how bmw offers free service till 50k miles ... well they recommend oil change at 15k,30k and 45k so basically all you get is 3 free oil changes... of course when u go in for the 60k service then it is time for everything to be changed and that one is on you

Yes and these are extended oil drain intervals on high stressed engines, basically high horsepower output with smaller displacement. The sump capacities on these cars aren't even near the Viper. All of BMW's engines are mostly DOHC with a crapload more moving parts than the OHV design of the V10 in our cars, which would most likely dictate a drain interval closer to Viper, but they don't.

The V10, at 8.0, 8.3 and 8.4 is really a "low stress" design with a relatively tame power output compared to displacement.

BMW's V10 puts out 500HP (with a lower torque output than Viper) and that engine ONLY displaces 5.0L's. If BMW stands behind this relatively higher stressed engine with more moving parts motor with 15K oil drains, why can't we also extend our oil drain intervals farther out than 3000 miles?

Don't understand that one bit.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't study up too much on the fluid properties of synthetic oils, deterioration, long term effects of temperature change, humidity, and God knows whatever else the people at the oil companies study. All I know is my car gets driven hard, sits in bad rush hour traffic every time I drive to work, and I live in Texas where it's almost always miserably hot. If my owner's manual suggests I change the oil every 3k, I think I'll do it.

For the record, if the owner's manual recommends a differential fluid change, coolant change, or whatever else, I'll probably do it also. I'm sure they have data somewhere that backs up these recommendations.

Jason

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't study up too much on the fluid properties of synthetic oils, deterioration, long term effects of temperature change, humidity, and God knows whatever else the people at the oil companies study. All I know is my car gets driven hard, sits in bad rush hour traffic every time I drive to work, and I live in Texas where it's almost always miserably hot. If my owner's manual suggests I change the oil every 3k, I think I'll do it.

For the record, if the owner's manual recommends a differential fluid change, coolant change, or whatever else, I'll probably do it also. I'm sure they have data somewhere that backs up these recommendations.

Jason

Hey nobody is saying you shouldn't follow the recommendations. However, having an open mind about car care vs. religiously following manual specifications might allow better enjoyment of the vehicle.

All I am suggesting, is that you might be able to extend the drain interval based on the findings of an oil analysis. Nothing more, nothing less.

Educating yourself about the fluids that go into the car you are taking care of, allow you to take BETTER care of that car!

At the VERY LEAST you will have a complete printout on the condition of your engine, wear metals etc.

However the gains are enormous. Less time servicing the car, more time enjoying it. Less money laid out on maintenance, more money for mods!
:drive:

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sludge will build up if you leave your oil in too long ,if you drive your car hard change it every 3000 miles or at least 2 xs a year,its 25-30 k motor protect with cheap oil changes,i change my diff oil every 5-7000 miles and at least once a year ,coolant every 2 years,have you seen what happens when you leave dex coolant in your coolant system on gm vehicle in for many years it turns inot thick mud.to each is own i would rather buy a car that has had oil changes every 3000 miles or 2 xs ayear,gives me peace of mind.

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sludge will build up if you leave your oil in too long ,if you drive your car hard change it every 3000 miles or at least 2 xs a year,its 25-30 k motor protect with cheap oil changes,i change my diff oil every 5-7000 miles and at least once a year ,coolant every 2 years,have you seen what happens when you leave dex coolant in your coolant system on gm vehicle in for many years it turns inot thick mud.to each is own i would rather buy a car that has had oil changes every 3000 miles or 2 xs ayear,gives me peace of mind.

Umm, ok how scientific are your statements?

How long it "too long" :rolaugh:

Are you saying that sludge is going to build up in a Viper motor if you don't do an oil change every 3000 miles? I'd like to see some proof of that! :lmao:

It's not a 25K motor, you can get these things for under 10,000 with less than 1000 miles on them, but that's besides the point.

Who brought up DEXCOOL? I actually ran Prestone's Dexcool in a Supercharged Jaguar XJR for years with VERY FINE results thank you very much. It's been discussed that DEXCOOL failures can be attributed to poor owner maintenance, air in the cooling systems, or just bad GM design. How many MILLIONS of cars run/ran Dexcool with nary a problem. You only hear about the problems, right?

A car (Yes the Viper too!) is NOT abused if the oil is changed past 3000 miles with scientific proof backing up the extended drains!!

LOL.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its just cheap insurance,a new 08 viper motor can not be had for less than 10k but thats besides the point.i would rather buy a car from someone like my self that changed oil every 3000 miles or 2 xs a year than some one that doesnt ,gives me piece of mind.i have a diablo also which i change the oil filter 2 xs a year or 3000 miles and i sleepbetter.i have seen otors that people dont change there oils and they do have sludge build when valve covers have been removed.dex coolant was not designed to stay in vehicles for more than 5 years and it caused a bunch of problems.its just my opionon that i like oil,filter change with in 3000 miles my car my investment.

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
its just cheap insurance,a new 08 viper motor can not be had for less than 10k but thats besides the point.i would rather buy a car from someone like my self that changed oil every 3000 miles or 2 xs a year than some one that doesnt ,gives me piece of mind.i have a diablo also which i change the oil filter 2 xs a year or 3000 miles and i sleepbetter.i have seen otors that people dont change there oils and they do have sludge build when valve covers have been removed.dex coolant was not designed to stay in vehicles for more than 5 years and it caused a bunch of problems.its just my opionon that i like oil,filter change with in 3000 miles my car my investment.

You are right about the 08 motors price. I quoted under 10K for the 03-06 engines. I know Xvipers.com has two for sale right now for less than 10g's with very very low miles on them.

Anyway, I bet you $100 that if you do a professional oil analysis on Mobil 1 0-40 synthetic oil you will see your 3000 mile oil changes are premature.

I've only heard of sludged up motors in cases of EXTREME abuse. I think we are stretching the facts here. I am not talking about 50,000 mile top ups here. LOL

I'm not debating GM's Dexcool 5 year (or less) service life. Not sure how that's a factor with the Viper since our cars don't use it and it's irrelevant to an oil change or extended drain.

Tim

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to each is own i like changing my oil every 3k i drive my car hard and i feel better when fluids are clean and changed more often.
adam

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently bought an 08 Viper and wondered about 500 mile oil change and viper tech at dealer said was not necessary. I don't remember seeing it in owners manual either as I read that thing cover to cover. I believe it recomended every 3000 miles. And rcl4668 was right it suggested checking oil level with every fill up, but only during breakin period. I just recently passed the 500 mile mark and she ran about a half quart low. But I do believe book said every 3000 miles. So as for me I will trust that they would give me the best info for the most longevity for the car. Just my two cents worth. One suggestion that I thought was worth the money. You can prepay for your oil/filter changes from Dodge. This includes lube as well as all labor and parts. To have Dodge dealer change each time was about 150 bucks. I prepaid for 2 changes per year for 7 years which made it come to about 51 bucks per change. Good at any Dodge place. Anyway, felt like a good deal. How you enjoy yours as much as I am mine.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
love the 08 ,the reason is best to change oil first 500 miles is to remove metal drbri from performing an engine break in period .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960