08 trans vs 96 trans

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good things about the new trans in the 08s. So I just wanted to know with them being more sivalized if they will still be as bulletproof as the old ******** 96 trans. I ask because I plan on upping the power with either turbo or blower and know that my trans will still be reliable but at the same time if the new trans is just as tough but is that much better I wouldn't mind swapping them. Oh I should of asked first if it is possible. The car is mostly street but is taking to the drag strip often. Thanks

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm. I swapped for an '06 trans about a month ago and it works great. My old one had some problems with the syncros going out so it needed a rebuild/swap anyway. In your case, if you really feel the need to be extra careful and pull it out before introducing forced induction, my suggestion is to pull it, and take it to a well known (reputable) tranny shop. They usually inspect for free or very cheaply.

As for the 08 transmission going into a 96, I am not sure if that is possible. Mark at Woodhouse NE should be able to check, or double check. The problem you may have is that the bell housing doesn't match up. If that is the case, there will be no way you could use it. Problem number two will be the spedo. When I installed the 06 trans, I had to take the rear housing to have the spedo hold cut and threaded. The new cars spedo's run off the ABS. Since you do not have ABS, you will have the same issue to overcome.

Hope this helps.... JOIN the VCA and I'm sure you'll get a better response for further inquiries.

:usa:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The new tranny is stronger (because the new engine has more power) with stronger gears and synchros. So's the new differential.

Ted

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I joined the vca at the begining of last week so I'm just waiting on my vca number to arrive. I joined venom also if that counts for extra responces. Thanks for the info on your swap that helps out a lot.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might have the model year wrong, but at some point the T-56 went from two upper shafts (one for 1-2-3-4, one for 5-6) to one solid one. That has to stiffen things up a bit.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was an article in VIPER mag a few months ago detailing all the improvments of the new TR-6060 over the older T56, check it out

it is def not weaker as it has wider gears to handle more power to cope with the HP of a GT500/ZR1/VIPER which is why Ford/GM/Dodge all pitched in with the funding for Transmission Technologies Corporation to design and build it for em.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and thanks for joining. PM me your information so I can make sure you are on my members list.

As far as the tranny, I wouldn't do anything unless you were experiencing problems with the current transmission. An important detail you left out is how much rwhp you plan on adding to the car. If you start putting down over 1000 rwhp, and depending on how you drive, neither the 96 or 08 will hold up.

For what it's worth, I just spoke to one of our local members over the weekend, and he didn't really notice any difference in the 08 transmission versus all the previous models he has owned. And he has owned too many different models to list.