08 Viper Owners..............???

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has any 08 Viper owner attempted to install an IPOD with their stock radio? Especially the RB-1?

AND before others respond about "search", the 08 Viper is a whole new ballgame. You cannot use the dodge ipod kit #82209616AC on an 08, nor does an RB-1 radio from earlier years work in an 08 Viper. The RB-1 has to be an 08 model. Dodge shows ipod adapter #82210181AB for an 08 Viper, BUT this adapter DOES NOT intergrate the ipod with the stock radio which means the radio does not control the ipod, you have to use the ipod itself. With the old ipod adapter (...616AC)you could control it with the radio.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Before you continue, sorry, you are incorrect.

The iPod kit will work, and even the RB1, in any form. Specifically, the Part Number you gave, 82209616AC, IS the correct part number.

The Audio system in the 08 is still a J1850 based system, and as such, will accept all of the J1850 "rounded style" radios. RB1's as a whole will operate in this environment, and specifically to your question, the iPod kit, 616AC, is the correct kit for the RB1. The only thing that went to CAN in the 08 is the engine control systems, the rest is unchanged.

The 181AB kit is probably the other variation, the Can-Bus iPod Kit. It WILL NOT work in the Viper, only the Can-Bus cars such as the 300M, newer jeeps, etc.

OP
OP
M

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck Tator has already attempted to do what you say is possible on my 08. Neither the earlier RB1 or the Ipod adapter he attempted to put in my 08 would work. When the earlier RB1 and the Ipod adapter was put in all electricals would not work-the windows, ABS light on,etc...I am only going by what Mr. Tator has advised me of on my 08. Now do you have SPECFIC knowlege of the RB1 working in an 08/ Actually installed one? I ask not in an argumentative way since I would like to know so Tator can proceed.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chuck Tator has already attempted to do what you say is possible on my 08. Neither the earlier RB1 or the Ipod adapter he attempted to put in my 08 would work. When the earlier RB was put in all electricals would not work-the windows, ABS light on,etc...I am only going by what Mr. Tator has advised me of on my 08. Now do you have SPECFIC knowlege of the RB1 working in an 08/ Actually installed one? I ask not in an argumentative way since I would like to know so Tator can proceed.

Yes, I do have 08 customers who I have sold iPod kits to, about three or four at this point, as well as 08 customers who have purchased RB1's. I have not heard back about any issues yet.

The issue you have described sounds exactly like what happens when either a bunk RB1 or iPod Kit is installed and sends incorrect signals down the PCI Bus that is connected to the back of the radio, causing problems with other unrelated systems.

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I do have 08 customers who I have sold iPod kits to, about three or four at this point, as well as 08 customers who have purchased RB1's. I have not heard back about any issues yet.

The issue you have described sounds exactly like what happens when either a bunk RB1 or iPod Kit is installed and sends incorrect signals down the PCI Bus that is connected to the back of the radio, causing problems with other unrelated systems.

Dan,

Do you know what I need to install the iPod kit with a RB1 w/ Sirius? I remember reading there was something else needed, but I can't recall what exactly.

Thanks in advance.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan,

Do you know what I need to install the iPod kit with a RB1 w/ Sirius? I remember reading there was something else needed, but I can't recall what exactly.

Thanks in advance.

You will just need the RB1 and iPod Kit. The Sirius plugs into the iPod Kit in the extra port. If I recall, there is a missing wire in the Sirius cable, so it doesnt show the "artist", though this wire can be run separately if you would like [I have not confirmed this wire is indeed missing]