08 viper red delivered AND BACK IN SHOP

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well looks like i have the cam problem... i had just hit 75 on the odometer and loss of power... the car sputters up to 2000rpm and will not go over 2000rpm in any gear... check engine light on and ETC (electronic throttle control) light flashing. Turning the car off/on solves the problem just briefly but then back to sputter mode

Managed to crawl home ok... Dealer is trailing the car in on monday

:rant:

In previous posts woodhouse had talked about a "flash" or tsb and RRT 08-027...what is a RRT?

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not a cam problem. It's a program problem. Reprogramming should now be available from your dealer. It should be a quick fix.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob's correct. The folks from Woodhouse posted that a day or two ago the ECU reflash became available to dealers.

/Rich

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It would be nice if Dodge could figure out exactly which group (what VIN's) of 08's need this reflash instead of leaving it to the owners to drive 100-200 miles to "test" it out. My 08 Viper is at Tator's right now after 9 weeks in "I" status. I have to wait a week(or more) to pick it up since my Viper was shipped with the WRONG wheels from the factory and they are replacing them (another story). From reading of the several common program problems it makes me wonder if I should just have Chuck load up the program anyway while its there? What would be the harm in doing the reflash now before trying to find out the hard way?

swissviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i get today my red 2008 viper (us car imported from the usa to switzerland) and have today after 50 mls the same issue (etc blink and check eingine). but i have the problem that the 2008 viper is not available official in europe (= no dealer can help), does anyone know what i can do? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
W

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why don't u talk to woodhouse and see if u can send them the ecu

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I not understanding why they don't just reflash them all? it is such an easy process. We are not talking about reflashing 100,000s of cars here. Why wait for the problem, just reflash it anyway.

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time is money. Chrysler doesn't have the time or the money. My 5/08 built Viper had the same symptoms but mine turned out to be a bad fuel injector and a bad tire pressure sensor.

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the factory started applying the ESU update to the 08s? Mine was built in May 08 and I am wondering if I have the update applied.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How can Dodge send cars out like that that have serious problems after 50 miles / the car is almost inoperable?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can Dodge send cars out like that that have serious problems after 50 miles / the car is almost inoperable?
U.S. built. It isnt just the Corvettes with problems. That ***** though to spend all that dough, wait for the delivery and then have this problem.

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly, I wonder what is actually going on with the ECU to force the engine into limp mode and if it does go into limp mode, is there damage that is or may occur during the "limp" to the dealer or home!

Is there a TSB on this?

Reaction score
SSGViper,

Give me the last 8 of your VIN in the next 40 minutes and I can tell you about the flash and your car.

The rest of the issues really are not the "plants" fault either. The variable cam has tight clearances and until fully broken in it can react "lazily" causing the PCM to see mis fire codes that are in fact not hurting anything but the PCM see it and reacts with the limp mode.

I will be leaving for the mountains in California for a wedding very shortly and will be out of contact till Monday morning if I don't get this soon enough.

Thanks,

Mark Jorgensen

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for your problem.. I got my 2008 GTS blue/white convertible in March and got the reflash right away. I now have 6000 miles on my car and have had no difficulties, no tickets and have not gone over 150:D mph.

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SSGViper,

Give me the last 8 of your VIN in the next 40 minutes and I can tell you about the flash and your car.

The rest of the issues really are not the "plants" fault either. The variable cam has tight clearances and until fully broken in it can react "lazily" causing the PCM to see mis fire codes that are in fact not hurting anything but the PCM see it and reacts with the limp mode.

I will be leaving for the mountains in California for a wedding very shortly and will be out of contact till Monday morning if I don't get this soon enough.

Thanks,

Mark Jorgensen

Thanks Mark for the clarifiation... Last 8 is 8V201036. I didn't catch you in time so have a great trip and again, thanks for all you do!

swissviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yesterday my viper was in an dodge garage in zurich, they told me that they can check for an software update but they told me that my viper has already the newest one (Version 05029932AF), they did a calibration of the throttle body and made a test drive (30 mls) after i picked up the car the ETC error lighted up after 1 mls and i brought it back. on monday they will check what it could be again.

has anyone an idea what it could be?

mark can you please check for my car too? i send the vin over PM

thanks!

Last edited:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time is money. Chrysler doesn't have the time or the money. My 5/08 built Viper had the same symptoms but mine turned out to be a bad fuel injector and a bad tire pressure sensor.

Easy solution for this one: Don't build them at all. I firmly believe do it right or don't do it at all. No company should expect their customers to finish their product development. :curse:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang