09 ACR vs 09 ZR1, Forum Wars on Speed Channel

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Guys,

I received an invitation a few weeks ago from a local TV producer to participate in a project he was shooting called “Forum Wars” for the Speed Channel. The producer advised me that they wanted to do some “head to head” comparisons of a group of cars and wanted a new Viper to compete with a new ZR1 in a 1/8 mile drag race, an AutoX and a Slalom Course.

The idea was to compare these two fast cars in three driving events using actual owners as drivers. He asked me if I had anyone in our local Viper Club with a 09 Viper and some driving experience that would be interested in representing Viper at this contest. I offered my 2009 ACR with myself driving and he accepted.

Not sure exactly how to proceed, I called Jon B at Parts Rack for some advice – I really didn’t want to let the VCA or Viper down by doing a lousy job representing our group and our car on television! I was a fair drag racer during my youth and am now a fair club level road course driver or “time-trialer” running at my local tracks, so I thought my driving skills would hold up OK running against another enthusiast driver. After spending a few minutes on the phone with Jon, he suggested that he’d call a few of his contacts and try to arrange some sponsorships for fresh tires and brakes. Jon wanted the best possible outcome too and tires can make all the difference in cars so similarly powered as these two. Being able to stop is kinda’ important too.

A little bit later that day I received a call from Luke at Tire Rack. Due to Jon B’s help, Tire Rack agreed to give me a very good deal on a new set of tires for this event. Luke suggested the Hoosier A6’s as the best all around DOT tire for the events that I was about to compete in as we were not allowed a tire change during the day.

Jon B also contacted Stoptech as my front rotors were in need of replacement and while Stoptech was interested in helping, they didn’t have any of their Aerorotos (OE on ACR) in stock and couldn’t get a pair to me in time for this event. Jon B then stepped up and sponsored me with a free pair of Stoptech Aerorotors that he had in stock. Thanks Jon!

I made it to the event / shoot that morning at 6AM on a cloudy, cool day in Irwindale, CA – not ideal conditions for a 1/8 mile drag race or an AutoX in a heavy car like a Viper. The driver of the ZR1 that I was competing with was none other than Jim Holloway of Mothers Polishes. Jim and I spent most of the day together waiting to race each other, so we had plenty of time to talk cars. Jim is a true automotive enthusiast, a drag racer and a SCCA road racer, so I knew I had my work cut out for me.

It was a very full day and I am not allowed to share the results of the day’s contests due to a confidentiality agreement that all drivers had to sign before competing. Let’s just say that I ran a “Jamie Furhman-esq” 1/8 mile and was disappointed in my AutoX time.

However, we didn’t have to run the Slalom as we weren’t tied after the first two events. After the dust settled, I’m betting the ZR1 driver wished he had a Jon B to call for help prior to crossing swords with Viper!

I'll let you know when it's supposed to air.

Dan

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let’s just say that I ran a “Jamie Furhman-esq” 1/8 mile and was disappointed in my AutoX time.

I'll let you know when it's supposed to air.

Dan

So it seems you won both the AutoX and drag race? Sweet! "cough" i mean i cant wait to see how it turned out. evil smile
Let us know the air date i cant wait!!!

Last edited:

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you were running aftermarket rotors and A6 slicks? Was the ZR1 stock? Sorry, I don't get it, what does that prove?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you were running aftermarket rotors and A6 slicks? Was the ZR1 stock? Sorry, I don't get it, what does that prove?

If the rules allowed for those swaps then why not?

He didnt write that this was supposed to be a stock vs stock comparison for motor trend, did he?

N

Nobody

stoptech rotors are stock on the ACR are they not..

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnbennett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I attended this event. Dan did the Viper Nation extremely (!!!) proud. There was a modified Nissan GTR, a stock GTR, Cadillac CTS-V (550 HP?) and other modified cars. Dan had the best 1/8 mile time by a good measure. I watched the autocross and Dan did a great job. I am anxiously awaiting the official results. Thanks, Dan, for doing such a great job. And thanks to Cathy for being there and giving him the positive "pre-game" pep talk.

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan did an excellent job describing what transpired, so if it needs to be explained, yeah you don't get it :dunno::confused:

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the rules allowed for those swaps then why not?

He didnt write that this was supposed to be a stock vs stock comparison for motor trend, did he?

No he didn't , so I don't get the comparison. Viper on slicks -vs- stock ZR1 (i guess stock, it's not addressed in the original post). It starts going down the path of "the one with the most mods wins". I personally would have liked to see both cars on A6's or their respective stock tires.

I don't mean to distract from the original poster, congrats, sounds like you did some great driving.

Last edited:

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you made the viper community proud. The zr1 has a supercharger. When they have a supercharger system that will work on a gen IV then we will see a real "fair" comparison and it will be a shame for the zr1.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've edited several posts (as noted) to remove offensive material. My apologies to those folks whose responses (in support of the offended party) were edited. Thanks for understanding.

Let's keep this thread focused on topic (rather than on each other).

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A car on fresh A6's has an advantage, no doubt...there, I said it.

So what, it sounds like a 'run what you brung' contest. The Viper brought more to the show, and that showed. Why not, its just another mag run and even if he had just put a fresh set of Cups on the ACR, it still would have been perceived as 'unfair' comparison if he won. Round and round we go. Hey, its just ENTERTAINMENT. Lucky they didn't have a skid pad...ask Winkler about that...LOL.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sssssssssswwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeettt!!

Great job, you did us proud.

Even though we have more cubic inches, one thing both the supercharged and turbo charged cars have going for them is a huge potential horsepower gain just through programming. Cars that look completely stock could have 100 hp plus programming just for an event like this. So in reality, nobody but the drivers know exactly what tweaks have been done to the entered car.

Win the war and let the battles be sorted out in the forums. In my opinion, this is exactly what we need to get people excited about their cars. Corvette, Nissan, Porsche, etc, getting them pissed enough look into performance parts, HPDE, drag racing, etc is what is needed to create some excitment in the automobile that I feel we have lost the last 4 or 5 years.

Kudo's to the producer for having the idea of doing something like this. Hopefully this will be the first of many.

Give us a heads up when this will air.

Cheers,
George

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Event! Please let us know when we can see the article!

Does your ACR have Headers and the Mopar PCM with programming? Just curious!

Why 1/8th Mile instead of 1/4?

It sounds like you did an excellent job representing the Viper Nation! :usa:

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Check this link out - just found it.

Forum Wars: “Talk Smack, Then Hit the Track†- Forum Wars - Jalopnik

FYI, the rules on the tires allowed for DOT tires.... which A6's are. .....and if you've ever tried to get very stiff side walled A6's (AutoX tires not drag slicks) hot enough to drag on a cloudy, 60 F day, you know they were not very sticky. I think PS2's would have hooked better that day.

The drag track at Irwindale was only 1/8 mile and the track was not well prepped. I spun at the top of 1st gear under WOT (which doesn't happen on the street on a warm day), short shifted and stayed on it.

Dan

Last edited:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Informative article. I had no idea the Viper forum had such a rivalry with the Cadillac CTS-V forum :) That Venom Red ACR they had up against that black Caddy sure looked nice, though. I especially liked the foglights and the aero-delete option.

Just busting chops...

1HOTV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the notice Martin. Yes I went to go out that morning to support our
track team the "Sidewinders" Viper X was ready for the challenge . His A C R is
stock new tires (cold) and never spun them before that morning. O.K. now about the
Venom Red A C R ?. The Morning of the event my wife Stephanie said take the coupe. Her Viper! (Stock) O.K. new speakers and a bed for the little Dog! At six a.m. the director came up to me and said would you like to run against a major Modded CTS-V ?
Buy the way her 08 was running one year old P S 2s and its not an A C R. (no posers!)

Last edited:

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

Make sure to give us all a heads up before your episode airs. Also, if you have info on the Venom/CTS-V show pass that along too:D

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats brother!!! The Viper rocks and you showed it with your awesome driving!!

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Chuck,

Just put a Quaife in today. So, yes, the ACR is now ready to run longer sessions - like 50 minutes and I'd love to have had a shot at this field on a high speed track - though I think it would have been unfair to them.

FYI, a couple of friends who track their Gen IV ACR's have already lost their diffs. My advice for the Gen IV ACR's, if you track them, change your fluids regularly and you may want to consider upgrading your diff to a Quaife or a OS Giken Superlock.

Dan

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, a couple of friends who track their Gen IV ACR's have already lost their diffs. My advice for the Gen IV ACR's, if you track them, change your fluids regularly and you may want to consider upgrading your diff to a Quaife or a OS Giken Superlock.

Dan

Interesting to know. Dodge will need to make a change.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang