09 Viper or 09 Cayman S

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both are good cars. I had an 05 Viper and sold it for a 997 GT3. I had the GT3 for less then a year and sold it for an 08 Viper. The Porsche is a much better daily driver, and the cayman will be an EXCELLENT track car if your into that. I mean, to be honest, as much as I love the Viper, the Porsche will possibly be better for most, TO MOST people the Viper only has the power and looks over some other cars. The Porsche will feel like a luxury sport car, and the Viper will only feel like a sports car, which I like about it also. 2 different attitude cars.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I happen to own a Cayman S. In my opinion, its a great second car to the Viper. The Cayman is superb quality, a great performer, and a very well balanced ride. When I drive it, I think "This car is an exceptional, well balanced automobile."

The Viper is just raw testosterone with sick a$$ looks and absolutely outrageous stunning power. When I drive it or even just look at it, I am amazed and awestruck.

The bottom line is this: If one had to go, the Cayman would be going bye bye without shedding a tear. In fact, quite honestly, the Cayman is up for sale right now to be replaced with another Viper. :2tu:

Get the Viper. You'll be glad you did and you will be addicted forever!

488civ10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jackpot. why buy a brand new car and take the depreciation hit the second you roll off the lot? it leaves you no room for error in the event you have a bout of buyer's remorse.

the used sports car market is extremely soft right now. for 80k you have lots of options. pick up both and keep the one you can't live without. an alternative would be to find a performance car rental company (notice careful usage of diction... the cayman is not an exotic) and spend a day with each of the cars. you will get a much better impression of the cars versus a short "test drive" or an owner taking you for a spin. the rental costs would be well worth the experience, and a drop in the bucket compared to new car depreciation.

just make sure when you rent the viper... you proceed with extreme caution. they even like to bite experienced drivers.

My honest opinion:

if possible, get BOTH

Used Cayman for daily driver, comforts, decent performance and exclusivity

= 42,000

Used Viper: GTS and some SRT-10's for weekend driver, better performance and more exclusivity

= 40-50g

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Cayman is probably one of the best handling car out there. The breakaway is so progressive, it makes inexperienced driver look like race car drivers, while the Viper is just the opposite. With that said, skip the '08's and go to an '09 with direct injection and PDK and more power (325?). Or better yet you get now get a slightly used 2007 Turbo in the 80's, spend $2K on a chip/tune and you'll be at close to 600HP (AWE Tuning) or more with 100 octance gas. But neither the Cayman nor the Turbo can compete w/ the Viper on rawness and driver involvement.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Asking this question on a Viper Forum, you can guess the answer to this. Ask on the Caymen forum, you get the same reaction. The Viper is raw, brutal power. Simply put, if this is not what you are looking then the Viper is not for you.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to be in the loosing lane, get the Cayman :D Seriously "in my sleep" a Cayman S pulled up next to me on the highway in third gear. Well by the time I was seeing 120 he was about 10 cars back. ;) You can imagine who had the frown on their face and who had the smile :dunno:

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Cayman is seriously torque challenged. Had one for a loaner when our TT Cayenne was in for service and the car had a difficult time pulling some of the grades here in Austin. I'd be surprised if the Cayman has 100lbs of rear wheel torque under 2500rpm - not to exciting and not much changes when you wind it out. The Cayman S isn't much different. You can't go wrong with the Viper.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own both, the porsche has more issues but is reliable. Wifes car.

That says it all......

You will need this if you man up and buy the Viper...Home

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Tabs1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The cayman will always be compared to the 911. I just could not stand hearing.... oh, so its not a 911.

I had a modified vette and always heard, so, its not a Z06.

The Viper gets serious respect. And lets face it, if we pony up 70-80 grand on a car, that does matter.

I also don't get ricers with souped up accords and civics trying to race me in this thing. 600 horses must be the cutoff for them.

Jim C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive a Viper, then drive the Cayman. If you aren't bored to tears by the Cayman then you shouldn't buy a Viper.

SBMIANO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know buy your wife the cayman S my wife drives one. Come on whats the difficulty The Viper is in a class by itself.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your not considering going beyond a Cayman s then i would say viper is the clear winner. Now if you would pay more and consider the GT2/3 then i would say its a close call. You would have to drive both as they are two totally different cars.
Again the Viper trumps the Cayman S. Looks and performance. GT2/3 is another story as far as performance as looks will favor the viper but that is subjective.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't laugh.
PythonPete and I often go down to a weekly car gathering in our area that draws HUNDREDS of muscle cars, exotics and other collectables and we are amazed at the number of people that stop and look at Pete's Cayman on the occasion he drives it instead of his Viper. Honest to God it gets more looksies than our Vipers some days. It's a very nice looking car and looks way more expensive than it is.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello guys, i've been reading this forum for years, always been a fan of Vipers, and now can finally afford one.

But after A LOT of considering and research, i narrowed down to these two. I consider everything, overall performance, fun factor, quality, street status (not a poser, just want something that people will give a second glance), maintenance cost,and being daily driver, at least livable comfort. Had the opportunity to drive an 08 Cayman S, and liked it, only miss some extra power, but no test rides allowed on the Snake.

Now to me it narrows down to character, since as configured they are about 80K. I think the Dodge will win here but would like to know Yall's input.

First of all, it's nice having such choices, especially in these "interesting" times.

Next, both are fantastic cars with their own performance strengths. Either would make a great car to take to your local track.

Ultimately, it boils down to what you want and the character and feel of the car you're looking for. I was looking for the closest thing I could buy to a modern day 427 Cobra so for me the Viper was the obvious choice.

Good luck!

/Rich

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you were asking between the Turbo, GT3, or GT2, it would be a more difficult question. As it's between the Cayman S and the Viper there is no question. The Viper!
I don't know where you live but here in Dallas the Cayman S is a dime a dozen and I hardly even notice them.And I like them. The Viper on the other hand, I can't just go to the grocery store without someone waving, giving thumbs up, someone wanting to talk about the car or some other kind of positive reaction.
And as for a daily driver, I drove my '05 vert. daily for 36K miles and loved every mile of it!
And one other thing, BUY AMERICAN!:usa:

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Cayman is an excellent car - I love them. I've driven them on the track (never anywhere else) and they're a blast. Great handling - lot's of fun.

--But--

Do this first. Look in the mirror. Are you wearing lipstick? Then lift your skirt. Are you wearing *******?

If you answer yes to either of these, then buy the Gayman.

Greg

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper.

I test drove a Boxster, which is basically a convertible Cayman and it was just too dull.

My Viper's been over 40,000 miles in the three (Iowa) seasons I've had it and it has been VERY trouble free. The + battery cable rotted off and minor trim issues - just change fluids per the maintenance schedule (6K oil, 18K rear axle, grease when called out).

I am 53 and ENJOY my car as a daily driver when there's no salt on the road. OK, I do admit that I do take a tin car JUST after I've washed it if it is raining.

I also average over 30 miles commuting each way to my job located 6 miles from my house - seems I always get "lost"!

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello guys, i've been reading this forum for years, always been a fan of Vipers, and now can finally afford one.

But after A LOT of considering and research, i narrowed down to these two. I consider everything, overall performance, fun factor, quality, street status (not a poser, just want something that people will give a second glance), maintenance cost,and being daily driver, at least livable comfort. Had the opportunity to drive an 08 Cayman S, and liked it, only miss some extra power, but no test rides allowed on the Snake.

Now to me it narrows down to character, since as configured they are about 80K. I think the Dodge will win here but would like to know Yall's input.

:omg: :nono: :bonker:

I just sold my wifes 2005 911 TWIN TURBO S Cabarait Porsche. Tiptronic trans, x50 package,all wheel drive, more.. Good car for what it was
but it catchs no attention, top up or down compared to any of the 5 Vipers I have owned. It ran great....11s in 1/4 mi, like a sunday drive. Great car, but No stock GT3 will out run our 2008 and 2009 stock vipers. So to me there is NO porsche that you want to own for all out go fast that falls under the GT2 or 997 (911) . I believe that the GT3 is nice but for the money and as slow as it runs in our older GTS Vipers you get alot more car for your money that will be about a heads up race with any GTS
stock to a GT3.. Low 12 second cars there, normally. (some exceptions) soooooo in my opinion and I know so will disagree with me but this is just my personal experience with these cars.I have NEVER been broke down in a viper and the expense of the Viper is lots less than owning a Porsche. Resale----Porsche holds its value great. I got $99,000 for our 05 TWIN TURBO and could NEVER get close to that from my old 2008 Viper and I paid $91,000 for that. Get a Porsche Cayman S or CARRERRA and you will ALWAYS say to yourself.....WHY DIDN'T I BUY A 09 VIPER.
I apologize for being so long winded here. NO CONTEST...Proud VIPER owner. :headbang: :drive: :eater:

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
at least decide between a GT3 and a viper. Viper all the way, porsche people will probably say the same thing

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For "me" and I'm a road race guy the greatest stock car out there is an 08/09 Viper, particularly the ACR which I've driven extensivly. No mods not even an alignment it's 50/50 balance, unreal brakes and wind tunnel aero is second to none!!!!

This car with a good driver is faster on a track then an X-50, GT-2, GT-3 and probably a PGT, the first 3 I have 1st hand experience with, I'll love to meet up with a PGT. The GEN 4 is more comforable and solid then any GEN 1, 2 & 3s, stock it's a good daily driver.

CAUTION THIS CAR IS NOT FOR THE MEEK, that's what the Cayman is for :D

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, it really isn't. I know they are not on the same performance level, but the overall features of the Cayman being a Porsche, PASM, DFI engine, mid engine balance, Bose sound system, LSD, launch control and absolutely AMAZING cabin make it a serious competitor to me.

I think that if you step back from your post above, you can answer your own question. Unless I am reading the above incorrectly, you place a strong emphasis on nanny tech and a more refined cabin. You do not mind the enormous performance difference between the cars. If this is true, you will not be happy with the Viper. The Viper is very reliable but it is a streetable race car. It is not a raceable street car. The Viper is purpose built for velocity and acceleration fanatics who more often than not do not care much about whether the cabin is AMAZING as long as the ergonomics assist in driving the car at the limits, nanny tech, and/or the sound system. The Cayman S is a sports car built for the street. The two cars really are not in any way in the same category and/or league other than seating two adults. As to price, from my point of view 80K for a Cayman S is an absurdly high price for the performance allowed by the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21