1/4 Mile Times (getting better)

andymo1972

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went down to the drag strip in Pueblo again on Saturday afternoon for a test and tune event (2nd drag event in the Viper). It was a lot better than last time and I got in 21 runs! Plenty of time to practice various techniques. Of course it was 100 degrees there and most of my runs were between 1 and 4 pm, talk about hot.

I almost reached my goal of a 12.9. My best time was a 13.143 @ 110 mph, 2.3 60'. Next was a 13.188 @ 113 mph, 2.28 60'. Most of the rest were 13.2 and 13.3, some I went into 4th, some I stayed in 3rd (and one time I was in NEITHER gear...and once I managed to find 2nd briefly...oops). I had a lot of back to back runs but the car stayed consistent.

I launched way better than last time but I still cannot get my 60' times down, my best was a 2.1 with my average 2.2. I ran at ~20 lbs of pressure in the rear tires most of the day. From what I was told the track is EXTREMELY slick though. That and my gas tank was nearly full since I had somehow convinced myself I would burn at least a half tank of gas driving the 40 miles to the track. Oh well, something to remember for next time. I spun the tires on 1500 rpm launches. In the name of experimentation I tried a 2nd gear launch. I bogged down and had to work the clutch a lot and managed to smoke the tires (clutch too hahahaha)all the way past the 60' mark (14.1, 2.7 60'). This was on a solo run and the crowd enjoyed it. I'm hoping to get out to Bandimere in Denver and get some runs in on a less slick track. I'm happy though since this is a big improvement on my 13.7 best from last time.

Andy
97 GTS - smooth tubes, corsa (2 and 1/2 inch) exhaust, S&B filters

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the tank as full as possible, much better traction due to the weight over the rear. Put on some KHUMO (sticky autocross/roadrace) tires and you will not have to worry about your launch problem.

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. No offense (though it won't sound like it) but I though I did horrible with 12.4@117.

And I was on a "bad" track.

Heat is that big of a difference?

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy, yah, do tell more about launch...And did you do burn outs or not...It so, do you have a line lock...What tires are you running on the rear...

One of these days I am gonna come off of poser status and try my hand first time at the 1/4 mile...can't wait.

Tomer

OP
OP
A

andymo1972

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2Tall - If i was the kind of guy to take offense, I wouldn't be posting my times, just don't talk about my mom...hahaha. Last time I posted a 13.7, 13.9 and a 14.03 so this was a huge improvement for me. I'm just working on improving MY ability to get the car down the drag strip and getting 21 runs in helped a lot. I just have to work on the launch/60'. But, the elevation in Pueblo is 4900' (good guess Greg) and does have an impact on ET's. My R/T's weren't bad (.422 was my best) but that doesn't have anything to do with the ET or 60' times right?

I was launching anywhere from 1000 rpm to 2500 rpm on MXX3 tires at ~20 lbs of pressure, trying to work the clutch a little but not much. Running out of the groove b/c of the street tires made the track that much more slick. Everyone there was in agreement on this and a few told me even though denver is slightly higher altitude, the track is much easier to hook up on...only a visit will say for sure.

OP
OP
A

andymo1972

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, one more thing - I break loose just about every time on the 1-2 shift. It felt under control, not like the last time when I drifted 2-3 feet towards the wall and nearly soiled myself. But I'm not sure how much that will affect my times.

Andy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960