1 more for the rumor mill

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hope this is not a repost,

source is so-so, but widely avail for reading

6 Cars on Death Row- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

Dodge Viper

The legendary Viper is basically a street-legal race car, with nearly no amenities or creature comforts to speak of, but all the speed one could ever imagine. On the world's most demanding test track -- the Nürburgring, a 12.9-mile circuit in the mountains outside Nürburg, Germany -- the lap record is held by a 2009 Viper ACR, which bests even cars that cost five times as much.

But the Viper is in danger. Newer designs like the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 and Nissan GT-R nearly equal its performance and offer far more livability.

The product planners at Dodge are car enthusiasts and don't seem to want to live in a world without Vipers, so they have held back on officially announcing the vehicle's cancellation. But Dodge has halted production of the Viper, and publicly tried to sell the design rights to other automakers and even parts suppliers that don't build whole cars. Essentially, they're trying very hard to get rid of this car without taking the blame for killing it outright. The writing is on the wall for the legendary Viper.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a guy by the name of Devon (or Devin) who is planning on coming out with a new car that will use the ACR frame and running gear? He's designing a completely new body with lower drag. My friend is doing some of the aero design work but he won't tell me much. The plan is for the company to put out 20 cars the first year. From what I could gather, they looked into buying the Viper line but got turned off by the labor union terms of the deal.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newer designs like the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 and Nissan GT-R nearly equal its performance and offer far more livability.

Nearly? LOL

Livability? Another critic that doesn't get Viper. Personally, I think sitting in a Corvette and feeling like I'm in an Impala isn't livable but to each their own.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Missed the "yikes" thread, but am not worried about either this one or that. Viper production will start up again shortly (supplier issues and nothing more). There is absolutely zero indication that the car will be discontinued - other than goofy media fluff like this one. :2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I agree with Y2K on 2 points:

1) A slow-news-day, and pages that must be filled, results in this fluff;

2) CAAP should be up-and-running late in the 1st quarter, building the 2009 DODGE VIPER that anyone with a desire should act on now, and GET ONE ORDERED.

I have chatted with 4 folks just this week who have days-ago or today snagged dealer-stock of 09 and 08 Vipers, and the dealer stocks should be thinning.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Y2K on 2 points:

I felt a chill run down my spine and knew I had to log in to find out what was causing the disturbance in the force. I almost choked reading Jon's statement. Sorry...I couldn't resist. There's hope after all. :rolaugh:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960