$100,1HOUR,HOWTO/MUST DO,SPEAKER UPGRADE(PICS)

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FIRST, THANK YOU VIPERJOHN FOR DOING AND SHOWING ME THIS ON MY 03 SRT/10 :2tu:

GUYS ALL OF YOU WHO WANT TO KEEP STD RADIO THIS SUPER EASY UPGRADE WILL MAKE
THE SOUND SYSTEM 10X BETTER.

$100 FOR POLK 6 1/2 INCH DSB650 SPEAKERS - CIRCUIT CITY

TAKES LESS THEN ONE HOUR TO DO

TOTAL OF THREE SCREWS AND UNCLIP CONNECTOR IN DOOR.

EASY - EASY - EASY :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

*****ONE ITEM YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE WILL BE THE CLIPS TO SNAP ONTO CONNECTION
OF NEW SPEAKERS (SHOWN IN PICS)*****

NOTE - YOU DIDN'T HEAR IT HERE BUT IF YOU PURCHASE A SET OF 6 1/2INCH ALPINE
SPEAKERS FROM BEST BUY THEY COME WITH THE CONNECTORS I'M DESCRIBING WHICH YOU
CAN SEE IN THE PICS. WHEN RETURNING SPEAKERS TO BEST BUY AS LONG AS THE SPEAKER
WIRE IS IN THE BOX, NO PROBLEM RETURNING. MOST GUYS DONT USE THE SPEAKER WIRE
WITH THE CONNECTIONS ANYHOW SO NO I DONT FEEL BAD - :D

OPTION - YOU COULD ORDER 2 WIRE HARNESSES FROM DODGE

NOW THE HOW TO

1) POLK DB650 - REQUIRES NO DRILLING FOR HOLES AND FACTORY COVER FITS ON FACE,
KEEPS FACTORY LOOK IN INTERIOR
6041PICT00341-med.JPG

2) DOOR PANEL WITH SPEAKER REMOVED - AS YOU CAN SEE 3 SCREWS AND WHILE HOLDING
SPEAKER REACH IN AND UP PLUG CONNECTOR - VERY EASY TO REMOVE
6041PICT0002-med.JPG

3) STANDARD VS UPGRADE SHOWN WITH FACTORY COVER

STANDARD
6041PICT00271-med.JPG

UPGRADE
6041PICT00281-med.JPG

4) HOW TO WIRE - **IMPORTANT - GREEN GOES TO NEGATIVE / BLACK GOES TO POSITIVE -
LOL ONLY DODGE WOULD MAKE IT LIKE THIS, DO NOT PUT BLACK HARNESS WIRE TO NEGATIVE
POST, TRUST ME ON THIS** - SOUND CHECK WAS DONE BOTH WAYS TO DETERMINE THIS!

STANDARD
6041PICT00051-med.JPG

UPGRADE
6041PICT00071-med.JPG

SIDE BY SIDE
6041PICT00161-med.JPG

***IMPORTANT - WHEN CLIPPING WIRES FROM STANDARD SPEAKER DO IT RIGHT AT THE POST
AS SHOWN
6041PICT00201-med.JPG

5) PLACE FACTORY COVER OVER NEW SPEAKER - PLUG IN CONNECTOR - INSTALL 3 SCREWS
6041PICT00311-med.JPG

6041PICT00321-med.JPG

6) CRANK IT UP - LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK - HUGE DIFFERENCE :2tu:

WELL WHAT ARE YA WAITING FOR, GET YOUR ARSS TO CIRCUIT CITY.

YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

TOM

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WANTED,

Thanks for the great pictures! I'll be doing the swap myself, sometime soon. The pictures will be very helpful.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did this same upgrade a few months ago. Very easy and significant improvement in sound.

I just soldered on the wires from the original speakers so no need for addition connectors. As indicated this is a 1/2 hour upgrade that anyone that can solder can do.

Great pics and instructions - maybe this should be added to the "How To" section.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WANTED....Thanks for the instructions 2 questions for you...which alpine 6.5" speakers will have the wires needed? And do you replace just the speakers in the doors or the ones above the center console as well?? Thanks
Ricky

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WANTED....Thanks for the instructions 2 questions for you...which alpine 6.5" speakers will have the wires needed? And do you replace just the speakers in the doors or the ones above the center console as well?? Thanks
Ricky

SPS-170A ALPHINE $99.99

ONLY THE DOOR SPEAKERS

GOODLUCK, YOU'LL BE HAPPY YOU DID THIS :2tu:

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, any SOCAL people want to do this cheaper?? I can get two pairs delivered for $161.($80 per pair) No biggie, but still a savings.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought the speakers online for $75 incl shipping. Soldered them and the whole process takes less than 15 minutes not including the time for the soldering gun to heat up. Very significant change in mid-range clarity and better transient response. Did this mod the week my car arrived.

Alice & The Viper Blog

Sleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I yanked those Polk speakers out of my SRT 10 last week

...so I can put them in the new SRT 10 next week!

Tom, the speakers are a suprisingly good upgrade for the price.

BTW, had a good chat with Bill Kalin from Woodhouse when he picked up my Viper on Friday. Said he enjoyed delivering your new siver Viper. Glad to see you're enjoying it.

TD

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: I yanked those Polk speakers out of my SRT 10 last week

Wanted,
Do you think this will work on 02 GTS? Thanks.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I yanked those Polk speakers out of my SRT 10 last week

Wanted,
Do you think this will work on 02 GTS? Thanks.

I have been trying to get around to doing this mod on my RT/10. I really liked the difference it made in the Tom's SRT. I imagine the difference would be even more dramatic in our cars becuase the SRT stereo is much better than a Gen II system.

mamba20

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought the speakers online for $75 incl shipping. Soldered them and the whole process takes less than 15 minutes not including the time for the soldering gun to heat up. Very significant change in mid-range clarity and better transient response. Did this mod the week my car arrived.

Where online did you find them for $75 incl shipping?

Thanks.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cardomain.com but their price is now $84.95. Again, if you even have modest soldering skills, this is a very fast swap of speakers.

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks! I am on it too-

Question: What is wrong with the Alpine speakers? Polk better?

You can just see the size of the stock magnet is 1/2 the size of the Polk, and made in China, GEEZ!

KL

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes,those speakers work on a Gen II, I did it on my 00GTS and the sound quality is better, not sure if they are as much an upgrade than on the SRT since my factory speakers were not made in China but in Japan.

luc.00GTS

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alice mentioned the magic word,"midrange" This is very absent in the car, and if this speaker has improved that, and with no sacrifice to other freq. ranges, I think it's great. I want to badly to get a little closer to true flat response in the car. Well I want to get a lot closer, but this may suffice as a temporary fix.

I wonder if the head unit is eq'ing a less than full range to those door speakers, and if the enclosure had any kind of special design to it. We must be carefull and not eliminate any intended range going to the door.

The Polks could be brighter in certain areas, and less in others.

So complex,

I suggest you listen to a Danny Elfman cd first, listen closely, then make the change. Don't sacrifice any lower mids, as they are much needed, and hard to come by. Remember the brass in tunes, now make the change.

Be carefull, you can be fooled easily.

I'll give $100.00 for some midrange, without using attenuation.

Skip White

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone kept the stock headunit or rb1 and gone ahead and changed all the speakers to like focal's??

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

More comments on the sound difference's, please?

I feel that because of the MUCH larger magnets on the Polk's that there will be a pretty noticeable drop in volume and efficiency. I don't imply that it won't sound better on a factory/Polk "in-door comparison.

However: when I tried upgrading my door speaks (in SRT-10) to some JBL's, the JBL's needed A LOT of power, and they imbalanced the rest of the system in the SRT-10. So, I took them out. The JBL's also had a very potent high-end that overpowered the rest of the stock system.

With the Polk's installed, how do they balance with the rest of the factory system to your ears?

Thanks,

Jim W.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The polks do 'over-power' the rest of the system. I love it. The sub needs improvement now.

The difference is hard to describe in typing.....the best way I know how is that the volume number can be turned up past '30' with the Polks with very little distortion. The stock speakers sounded crappy at 25. Top down, the system still doesn't have enough juice.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just fried one of my Polks. I guess keeping the top down and the volume at 32 will do that. Maybe it was because my wires were backwards? It sounded so good though! I think I'll spring for the $200 6 1/2" speakers this time. Maybe they will last longer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang