11.18 @ 125...Ported Heads, Stock Cam, Drag Radials...how's it compare?

TurboRob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11.18 @ 125...Ported Heads, Stock Cam, Drag Radials...how\'s it compare?

I finally got to make some passes this weekend on Nitto Drag Radials (315/35/17's) in my '98 GTS. Other than spinning pretty bad on the 1-2 shift, I was pretty impressed. I was just curious how my times compared to those with similar mods?

Mods as follows:

QMP Ported heads w/2.02/1.60 valves
T&D Roller Rockers
Roe VEC1
Corsa 3" exhaust with off-roads (but I added 2 extra mufflers, for a total of SIX!)
Stock Cam
Stock Manifolds
Stock Clutch
Stock TB's
Full weight

Timeslip as follows:
R/T .004
60' 1.663
330 4.721
1/8 7.227
mph 99.34
1000 9.379
1/4 11.187
mph 124.66

*I have video of this pass, which I will post to my website later tonight.

Any idea how much I'll pick up by adding Borla or ****** long tube headers? Has anyone went 10's with a similar combination?

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 11.18 @ 125...Ported Heads, Stock Cam, Drag Radials...how\'s it compare?

Your 98+ exhaust manifolds flow pretty well aready, so I don't think your gain with the headers will be extemely high, but you may pick up to as much as 25 rwhp. Plus a killer sound! You have other choices like Belanger and Henne$$ey for headers, they make some beautiful pieces (just so you know, as I hadn't heard ****** made V-10 headers). Great run - 1.6 is smokin! You're knocking on 10's door and if you did spin bad an 11 flat or 10.9 is coming real soon!

Great run!

Just FYI, the stock TB's flow just as well and sometimes better for motors that aren't heavily modded - bigger TB's on a slightly modded motor often result in a DEcrease in power, believe it or not.

Regards,
Clint

OP
OP
T

TurboRob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would be THRILLED with 25rwhp from the headers. One thing's for sure, as soon as I get them I'll post the dyno results.

Thanks for the info.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You are welcome!

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rob

How about making the trip to columbus this weekend! The event is televised!

OP
OP
T

TurboRob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmmm....are you going to be racing too? If so, I just may do that. I just wish my headers would show up this week.

BTW, I just added the video of the 11.18 pass to the website.

Follow the link in the "What's New" section of the Homepage at: http://www.QuarterMilePerformance.com

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would ad a set of Belangers and a 3" pipes, the should the 10.9 be safe.
I'm running 10.7s with a similar combination in my Gen1 (+ camshaft)

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the video. It's definitely a good run.
Looks like drag radials make a big difference in hooking up well.

-Dean.

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your sixty foot is pretty good. Nice run.

Tom

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Beautiful launch - I'm with Tom, great run!

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WOW

Best I ever managed with drag radials and ported heads and cam (similar horse numbers ) was an 11.4 I couldn't get my 60 ft times below 1.9 and kept spinning the tires when shifing 1st to second. Great run

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I see most are probably running the 17's, however, i have been pleasantly surprised how well the 18 bfg dr's launch. 1.85 to 1.75 60's are my nowm with my stocker.

Best I have heard was Cudaman's 1.4x on dr's.

Great runs rob.

OP
OP
T

TurboRob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks all. I am adding a set of ****** Longtubes to the car Friday. I'll also throw it on the dyno to get some real world results with my mods. (I've heard so much both ways about '98 manifolds vs headers...time to find out for sure)

I think my next mod may be a cam. Anyone have a good suggestion? Emissions are not a concern, I would just like it to be streetable. I actually LOVE the violent lope of the stock cam with my T&D's. Nobody even believes me when I say it's the stock cam. So it has to at least sound that good.

Thanks again.

HEMIPOWER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most are changing to the 98 cam. With the power you are making I would not go to the effort of changing.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks all. I am adding a set of ****** Longtubes to the car Friday. I'll also throw it on the dyno to get some real world results with my mods. (I've heard so much both ways about '98 manifolds vs headers...time to find out for sure)

I think my next mod may be a cam. Anyone have a good suggestion? Emissions are not a concern, I would just like it to be streetable. I actually LOVE the violent lope of the stock cam with my T&D's. Nobody even believes me when I say it's the stock cam. So it has to at least sound that good.

Thanks again.

RE: your lumpy, you can get a custom grind that would be more aggressive and streetable, but I don't know if it would be worth your trouble. I don't know the extent of your headwork, but unless your motor breathes REALLY well, the porting and manifold will be your weak link. (JMHO) I might suggest a stroker if you really need more power and want to up the ante, a lot ;) . Then a real big cam will come into play, but your car lopes like a pro stocker already, lol :) ..

I digressed a bit there, lol - to answer your question, H*ennessey grinds cams, so does Jason Heffner.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the headers! I've not heard or seen Hookers on a Viper, but as far as I know, you'll be very pleased with the sound and gain..

Regards,
Clint