12 MPG at 135 mph???

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Saturday was our first Central Florida VCA meeting, we had it at the Daytona International Speedway (ain't living in Florida great!!) We took two parade laps around the speedway and then lunch in a suite in the Nextel tower, while watching the likes of Jeff Gordan, Dale Earnhart Jr, and other Nascar drivers test their cars. Anyway on the short back stretch I was up around 135-140mph, then full throttle whenever and wherever possible. An aggressive drive over to and back from Daytona, combined with a lot of city driving and the MPG was 12. What I don't get is with easy driving I still only get about 12 mpg, this supercharger provides amazing power, but seems to need a lot of fuel. Maybe I should just drive full throttle all the time and get better or the same mileage.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
12 mpg on that last tank was great!

If that's also the best you get when driving quietly - it's too rich during what would normally be called vacuum running. Maybe the ECU reads boost at cruise and richens it up thinking it needs it - when a throttle sensor would tell it there is light load so it can run lean and advance the spark up.... Geralds DLM gets 22mpg at cruise and makes 800rwhp - so it's not the SC causing poor partial throttle economy.

Sounds like you got a max power tune. Combining that with a good daily driving/cruise tune takes time. I always thought it would be a great idea to have several chips - and a computer that could switch from one to another... I've seen it done and it's the way to go.... but nothing is available like that for the Viper that I know of.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're having Viper get togethers in Florida?
I'm already tired of looking at my Viper sitting in the same position in my garage, and I still have two months to go.

OP
OP
fuelman

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You're having Viper get togethers in Florida?
I'm already tired of looking at my Viper sitting in the same position in my garage, and I still have two months to go.

This is our busy time of year, hop on a plane and head down for the V-10 nationals on Feb 6-8th at Bradenton, fly into Orlando or Tampa. I'm sure you will get plenty of rides in Vipers and maybe someone nice will even let you drive theirs.
:cool:

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saturday was our first Central Florida VCA meeting, we had it at the Daytona International Speedway (ain't living in Florida great!!) We took two parade laps around the speedway and then lunch in a suite in the Nextel tower, while watching the likes of Jeff Gordan, Dale Earnhart Jr, and other Nascar drivers test their cars. Anyway on the short back stretch I was up around 135-140mph, then full throttle whenever and wherever possible. An aggressive drive over to and back from Daytona, combined with a lot of city driving and the MPG was 12. What I don't get is with easy driving I still only get about 12 mpg, this supercharger provides amazing power, but seems to need a lot of fuel. Maybe I should just drive full throttle all the time and get better or the same mileage.

You only went around twice. :D

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuelman low fuel economy.... do you think that smoking burnout infront of the fans, had anythink to do with the low MPG. If you are worried about fuel mileage you should drive a Yugo....hehehe..... that will get your blood pumping :eek: .

A man that sells the Navy fuel and cruise ship shiploads of fuel worried about a gallon or two????? :D

Jeff Gordan, Dale Earnhart Jr told me that they were impressed with your track times and especialy your burnout!!!

Cudaman :usa:

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who ME no no no that is a LIE I did not extra laps :ooo:

But I do know from an eye witness that Chuck went up the banked part of the track even when told not to. LOL

Fuleman and Cuda man I didn't even think to try and meet you guys last weekend. I almost missed Laryy, I didn't recognize him with the different hair color.

Oh well next year. :)

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who ME no no no that is a LIE I did not extra laps :ooo:

But I do know from an eye witness that Chuck went up the banked part of the track even when told not to. LOL

Fuleman and Cuda man I didn't even think to try and meet you guys last weekend. I almost missed Laryy, I didn't recognize him with the different hair color.

Oh well next year. :)

Larry is very hair sensative......

he got quite pissed at me when I asked to look at something on my car.....

Something about him spending all night doing his hair and he did not want to mess it up or get grease in it.

Cudaman :usa:

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should just drive full throttle all the time and get better or the same mileage.

Sounds like you've answered your own question there...

My trip to Englishtown dished out a full tank at just under 9mpg - thats several hours of AutoX and drags on a stock motor. To me it sounds like that SC is really helping you out at 140mph steady driving. The 12mpg easy sounds odd ot me but I don't have much experience around S/CV10s.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude